Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Wheels & Tyres > Recommended Tyres
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
fisha

2015 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aruba

Whilst not full emergency braking conditions, between the Pirelli 20” tyres and the radar 22” AT tyres, I have to admit that its been the Pirelli scorpions which have been the ones that felt like that they have let go first. For example braking and turning into a roundabout there have been a couple of occasions where it felt like it was losing grip and understeering on the turn in. But I’ve not had that happen with the AT’s.

Similarly when climbing a hilly road and going round a switchback, the system has stepped in the DSC a couple of times. And I dont really feel I’ve been pushing the car hard when its happened.

I will admit though, there is quite likely sub-conscious driving it easier knowing when your on AT because of the reported grip level differences … but the understeer / DSC cut ins have been unexpected on the road tyres … to the point I cant say that I feel I can drive round in confidence based on the thought “road tyres are better in wet”. V8 or else ...

Post #692454 12th May 2024 2:38pm
StuManchu

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Fuji White

That's exactly what I had with the scorpions, but as soon as I swapped to the Radars no issue under the same.condirions, like you say you adapt your driving accordingly knowing you have AT's on, will they stop on a dime If someone hard breaks in front of me? Who knows, but regardless of of tyre, how quick will a near 3 tonne Rangie stop anyway? Having driven artics for the last 20 years, I guess I drive in a different manner than most anyway, justy 2 pennies worth....

Post #692458 12th May 2024 3:24pm
JayGee

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Orkney Grey

If anecdotal experiences show A/T tyres outperforming road tyres in the wet on tarmac in identical circumstances all I take from that is the circumstances were clearly not identical. This is not even up for debate - A/T tyres cannot grip as well on tarmac as road tyres by the nature of the tread. If true the opposite argument would be valid and there would be no need for off road tyres or road tyres - there would be just tyres 2012 TDV8 Vogue (L322)

Post #692467 12th May 2024 4:53pm
fisha

2015 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aruba

JG, I'm fully aware that 'road' tyres perform under test better than 'AT'. I'm not debating that aspect, and yes its 100% that the circumstances were different ... unless its test environment, they always will be different. I'm not saying either than AT's don't break traction either ... they absolutely do.

However, across long periods of general driving my anecdotal experience is that for my driving (and I don't rag it about), I have found that the road tyres have been the ones I feel have broke traction in an unexpected manner compared to the AT ones.

Is it that I'm compensating my driving when using AT's ... perhaps ... this is no bad thing, driving to the conditions I suppose.

But I also wonder whether there is an aspect that the road ones are holding on better for longer, but when the break traction, they do so in a snappier manner, so dont give as much warning. On the other hand, the AT tyres might break traction earlier point, but do so but in a more linear manner which allows you to feel that break coming on adn increasing, and so you can react / adapt to the driving. V8 or else ...

Post #692471 12th May 2024 5:38pm
Sandyt

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Buckingham Blue

Interesting I had Pirelli's on and swapped them after a couple of months they were very quiet and comfortable but didnt have the performance in the wet for my style of driving - I changed back to Michelin Pilot Sports which I do think are the best road tyre for my driving.

I will say I have never driven the 322 on AT's as have no need but wouldn't choose them for the road work I do - so each to their own I change mine at 4mm because by then they have gone off

Post #692577 14th May 2024 7:55am
JayGee

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Orkney Grey

I wouldn't argue that tyres have different breakaway behaviour in a corner but in an emergency stop in the wet you just need outright best grip IME. Also I'd agree that the Pilot sport ( or any premium summer road tyre) will outperform a Pirelli A/S tyre in all but the coldest conditions as that's the compromise of summer tyres vs A/S. Looking back I'd have probably got away with just running a premium summer tyre like the PS although there have been a few occasions in the highlands and last years Lake District snow bomb event when I was glad I had A/S fitted. 2012 TDV8 Vogue (L322)

Post #692586 14th May 2024 8:47am
Sandyt

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Buckingham Blue

Absolutely agree I run Goodyear Ultragrip in the Winter as I am in France and Germany a lot of the time
Bet summers in the snow are fun haha

Post #692594 14th May 2024 10:15am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12