Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Council MOT Centres
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
supershuttle

England 2013 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Luxor
Council MOT Centres

My regular Indy has been having difficulty with the computer that Big Brother uses now to record MOTs.

So I just took it to my local Council centre and paid a whopping £54 - guess what passed with no advisorys. They don't look for work (as they don't do any) just a straight pass or fail all done by the book. So if it had failed I would have known it was an "honest" failure and had no qualms about getting in fixed.

But as I said it passed Thumbs Up Geoff

Post #344855 28th Aug 2015 11:36am
mjdronfield

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Buckingham Blue

Used one of those for the last few years.

Mine passed on Tuesday with no advisories. Thumbs Up and only £40

They couldn't get me logged on to the system so I had to have a contingency mot printed and he would have to update the system when it came up.

Says vosa (I think it is?) have 35000 garages on it and the system can't cope. The have 65000 more to add he recons..... 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 TDV8

Previous cars :
2003 Range Rover Vogue TD6
1999 Discovery Td5 ES
1995 BMW M5 3.8 6 speed
1992 Range Rover 3.9 Efi Vogue
1992 BMW M5 3.8
1988 BMW 735i SE
1989 Ford Sierra XR4x4 2.9i
1981 Ford Fiesta Supersport

Post #344859 28th Aug 2015 11:45am
kingpleb

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Bonatti Grey

USed one once but their waiting list was 2 weeks and as above they charge the reccomended amount which was between £55-60 IIRC.

Now i use one thats a 2min walk from the front door and they are honest as they know they get very little if any work out of me as i do loads myself and its only £30 and done while i wait usually Smile FFRR MY06 facelift With TDV8 Alloys Zeros/ATR's
Mantec Sump Guard, Rigid Load liner, MY10 BT upgrade.

Post #344861 28th Aug 2015 12:03pm
supershuttle

They did say to me I might get a contingency MOT but in the event not needed.
Clearly my experience was at odds with others as the maximum charge for a FF is £54.85, centres can charge less but not more. Also I rang yesterday and got in first thing this morning, no waiting at all. Very Happy Geoff

Post #344863 28th Aug 2015 12:13pm
Zirconblue

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Cairns Blue

Main dealers are worth a go too, they can still only charge the £54, plus there's a good chance your car will come back valeted and they'll do free collection and delivery. Laughing

No testing station is allowed to fail a car that didn't need failing. if they do you know can report them to the DVSA (former VOSA and DSA)

Post #344879 28th Aug 2015 2:10pm
supershuttle

They only valeted it last week when they did the brake pipe recall and lent me a Disco Sport. I don't want them washing all the paint off :roll laugh:

Problem is with my limited knowledge how do I know if my car needs failing or not? Geoff

Post #344886 28th Aug 2015 3:05pm
Zirconblue

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications...7-vehicles

The MOT manual is pretty easy to read, clearly laid out. The new computerised system makes it a lot more difficult for testers to fail a car for something that isn't covered by the book.

If they do MOT work for you, always ask for the faulty parts to be returned (ask before they do the work), if they don't return them say you'll refuse to pay unless they do. Lastly you can always take a car from a failed MOT for a second opinion else where. The only possible drawback is if you take the vehicle away to be repaired for most things they'll charge you another test fee for the re-test, though it might only be a partial fee.

Post #344894 28th Aug 2015 4:01pm
pld118

Scotland 2014 Range Rover Vogue SDV6 Santorini Black

Zirconblue wrote:
Main dealers are worth a go too, they can still only charge the £54, plus there's a good chance your car will come back valeted and they'll do free collection and delivery. Laughing

No testing station is allowed to fail a car that didn't need failing. if they do you know can report them to the DVSA (former VOSA and DSA)

Our SC went into a main dealer last year for a service and MOT. Got a phone call to say it had failed MOT on EPB. I stumped up and paid to have the EPB "stripped and cleaned" so it would pass.

This year, took the car to a local friend's garage for MOT because it was going into the main dealer for some more complicated work and I just wanted the MOT done with confidence beforehand, as the main dealer had proven before that multitasking was a challenge for them.

Anyway, friend's garage passed the car with no advisories/ "sailed through." Then drove car straight to main dealer for the more complicated works plus a service. They also had it on their system for an MOT and rang me later to tell me it would fail it's MOT because one of the suspension components had play on it and... On the EPB which needed to be "stripped and cleaned". I pointed out that I used the EPB (not P) all the time and it worked perfectly well. I also pointed out that I had paid them to do that very job 12 months before at MOT time and in fact it had just sailed through it's MOT with no advisories. The girl backtracked and said that they always tell customers the EPB needs to be cleaned at MOT time.

You can make your own mind up!

Last edited by pld118 on 30th Aug 2015 3:24am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #344997 29th Aug 2015 12:59pm
ipwn

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Don't like them. They are too by the book for me.

A good example is my handbrake not working great on my 3 series, it was auto so it was never used. Council failed it whereas independant passed it and stuck it as an advisory it was on its limit even though it should have failed.

Another time I had my radar detector on the windscreen, council failed it as obstructing view, indy removed it and carried on.

Post #345018 29th Aug 2015 4:01pm
Zirconblue

Quote:
A good example is my handbrake not working great on my 3 series, it was auto so it was never used.

Though it's probably worth pointing out by law you're suppose to apply the handbrake every time you leave the vehicle. You can't really complain about them failing a car for a defective handbrake.

But if you're using a radar detector, i'm guessing you don't do many things by the book. Laughing

an obstructed windscreen would be a free retest anyway, just take it out when you collect your car and they'll look and pass it there and then. The garage are probably just worried about being accused of breaking it if they removed it themselves.

Post #345030 29th Aug 2015 6:00pm
ipwn

Yes, you could still apply the handbrake, it just didn't work that great.

Nothing illegal about having a radar detector. Not everyone has it to get away with speeding, poor assumption.

Yes they failed it and retested it after.

Post #345031 29th Aug 2015 6:02pm
Zirconblue

Well please educate us then. Why do you need a radar detector? Out of curiosity more than anything.

I was under the impression anything other than a GPS only (or a printed map) that was capable of warning of speed camera sites was made illegal about 10 years ago. Even if you're not using it for that purpose, if it's stuck to your windscreen then it's still 'capable' of it? I mean i've never had one or needed one, so i may be wrong.

Post #345039 29th Aug 2015 7:08pm
ipwn

I like having a warning of a looming speed camera in unfamiliar territory. Same with camera vans... It's the same principle as why people like it on their sat nav, but these are fixed locations whereas the valentine are live.

No your information is incorrect. Illegal in other countries but not the UK.

Post #345043 29th Aug 2015 7:23pm
pld118

Scotland 2014 Range Rover Vogue SDV6 Santorini Black

"MOT Test of Windscreen...
Includes all items affecting the driver's view of the road: the condition of the windscreen, the wipers and washers. Satnavs in the windscreen, furry dice, air fresheners or trinkets hanging from the mirror are not allowed. "

"I was under the impression anything other than a GPS only (or a printed map) that was capable of warning of speed camera sites was made illegal about 10 years ago."

You would of course need to read the map before setting off on your journey because otherwise...

Nothing wrong with Sat Nav and the like reminding you of speed limits and impending 'speed traps'. Can keep drivers focused as opposed to having lapses in concentration that can have unintended but catastrophic consequences Thumbs Up

Post #345047 29th Aug 2015 7:41pm
Zirconblue

So it is to avoid getting caught speeding then - my assumption wasn't that poor.

I remember hearing a lot in the news etc about 10 years ago regarding them being made illegal. But it might just have been they were 'considering' making them illegal but never actually followed it through. Like the thing about checking for illegal Xenon conversions in the MOT, it was never actually introduced.

Quote:
You would of course need to read the map before setting off on your journey because otherwise...

Unless you have another person in the car reading the map. Wink

I switched the warning off on my satnav, i got fed up with it going off all the time. They put up speed limit signs, camera warning signs up and paint most of the cameras bright yellow so they're pretty obvious anyway. I spent 6 years doing multidrop courier work, never got caught speeding.

Last edited by Zirconblue on 29th Aug 2015 7:52pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #345049 29th Aug 2015 7:44pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>