Home > Technical (L322) > Motorway Mode - suspension
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
DavidP

Belgium 2006 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Bonatti Grey
Motorway Mode - suspension

Hello.
Are there any reasons why the suspension not drop down into motorway mode, assuming all criteriahave been met?.

The european model does not have the same air suspension indicators as the UK spec - it's the same as US and therefore no motorway mode indication to the left of the switch.

I have been measuring the distance from the bottom of the wing mirror to road (122cm) after fulfilling the speed/distance requirements. This hight is the same as when nornally parked.

Thanks in advance
David

Post #70523 29th Jun 2011 4:14pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

ranges up to 2005 go into motorway mode at 65mph'ish, yours goes to motorway mode at 100mph...

Post #70524 29th Jun 2011 4:18pm
daveo

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 V8 Java Black

my one goes into motorway mode at 70mph i think 100mph is to high as legally you would be breaking the law.. V8 facelift Range Rover Autobiography 22" wheels.
1976 Harley Davidson Iron Head Sportster

Post #70536 29th Jun 2011 4:58pm
alanm_3

Location: my House, unless I’m not at home, in which case I’m somewhere else.

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

daveo wrote:
my one goes into motorway mode at 70mph i think 100mph is to high as legally you would be breaking the law..

Only if you get caught! Thumbs Up Got - 2017 SDV8 Autobiography in Loire Blue
Had- 2008 TDV8 Vogue SE in Java black
Had - 2007 S/C in Stornoway Grey

Post #70549 29th Jun 2011 7:16pm
DavidP

100mph (or 160kph), correct, or at least that's what the manual says. Land Rover customer assistance did confirm to me that the 'true' speed is 100kph (62.14mph) for 30secs - it should return to normal when below 80kph (49.71mph) for 60 secs.
Funnily enough these were we approximate speeds and time that my Classic (with indicators) would sink & rise.
The only thing i can think of that may be inhibiting is the towing electrics ie it thinks it's always got a trailer attached.
I was trying to find out if, or more where, the speed/time would be coming from to tell it to sink & rise.
Thanks in advance

Post #70559 29th Jun 2011 8:27pm
Mikeyjd

Wales 2003 Range Rover SE Td6 Zambezi Silver
Re: Motorway Mode - suspension

DavidP wrote:
Hello.
Are there any reasons why the suspension not drop down into motorway mode, assuming all criteriahave been met?.

The european model does not have the same air suspension indicators as the UK spec - it's the same as US and therefore no motorway mode indication to the left of the switch.

I have been measuring the distance from the bottom of the wing mirror to road (122cm) after fulfilling the speed/distance requirements. This hight is the same as when nornally parked.

Thanks in advance
David

If you are measuring the height when the car is parked, it will not be at the motorway height. Rolling Eyes No longer FF owner but still interested. Present car Jaguar XE

Previous car Td6 SE

Previous LR- Disco 300TDi Auto

Post #70564 29th Jun 2011 8:55pm
DavidP

I am taking several measurements, directly at the side of the motorway, just off the motorway (park and ride) and stationary. Access mode measures at 118cm.
A thought is if i know what the trtailer electric plug looks like i would unplug it and hurtle up and down the motorway to see what happens. I cannot trace it back to the rear r/h side cubby hole though.

Post #70567 29th Jun 2011 9:39pm
ric355

You haven't stated what year of vehicle you have. I was poking around in all the various versions of the manuals, and couldn't find one that doesn't have a motorway indicator except for a 2007+ car which has no mention of a motorway level at all.

Anyway, with trailer electrics fitted the inhibit light comes on automatically when something is hitched up (on my 2003 car). If your inhibit light is off then I doubt the trailer electrics are a problem. The towing module is a white plastic box about the size of a packet of cigarettes in the RH cubby just to the right of the relays. There's a loom connector straight into it; can't remember if it goes in the bottom or top but it's one of the two.

I presume before measuring you are selecting the inhibit function to ensure it doesn't change height?

Post #70572 29th Jun 2011 10:04pm
SteveMFr
Site Sponsor

DavidP wrote:

Huh?
My RR was originally sold in Rome. It has the motorway height indicator. I bought a US manual via ebay (can't read much Italian) it shows the motorway height indicator.
And, while I will admit that it's one of the details I have not spent a great deal of time observing, I am relatively certain that every L322 I've ever been in had a motorway height indicator - both here and in the US. (And I have been in quite a number now. Don't actually think I've ever been in a UK spec L322 tho, come to think of it)

Where is this info from?

A much better way to measure (oem spec actually) is at the wheel arches, BTW. It's easiest either measuring ground to wheel arch or upper wheel edge to arch (on level ground!). 
RRC 2Dr, RRC 4Dr,
P38, and 2 L322s
(wife thinks I'm nuts - prob right, too)

Post #70575 29th Jun 2011 10:12pm
SteveMFr
Site Sponsor

Mikeyjd wrote:
If you are measuring the height when the car is parked, it will not be at the motorway height. Rolling Eyes

Actually, it would be if you parked before driving 1 minute at under 45mph. 
RRC 2Dr, RRC 4Dr,
P38, and 2 L322s
(wife thinks I'm nuts - prob right, too)

Post #70578 29th Jun 2011 10:18pm
ric355

SteveMFr wrote:
DavidP wrote:

Huh?
My RR was originally sold in Rome. It has the motorway height indicator. I bought a US manual via ebay (can't read much Italian) it shows the motorway height indicator.
And, while I will admit that it's one of the details I have not spent a great deal of time observing, I am relatively certain that every L322 I've ever been in had a motorway height indicator - both here and in the US. (And I have been in quite a number now. Don't actually think I've ever been in a UK spec L322 tho, come to think of it)

Where is this info from?

A much better way to measure (oem spec actually) is at the wheel arches, BTW. It's easiest either measuring ground to wheel arch or upper wheel edge to arch (on level ground!).

I didn't think this was the case either, which is why I went poking about in various manuals. In a 2007 manual there is no motorway height indicator, but there is no mention of motorway height at all. Any manual I found that mentioned motorway height had a height indicator on the console. I didn't read *all* of them though!

Post #70579 29th Jun 2011 10:21pm
DavidP

I have posted the image of the suspension control panel.

Vehicle is a TD6 2006, Belgium. Looking at several other ones here they to are missing the motorway indicator.

Land rover assistance pointed me to download the NAS manual - which i believe stands for North American Spec.

Post #70598 30th Jun 2011 7:33am
ric355

Does the manual you downloaded actually make any reference to motorway height? I had a feeling it just doesn't exist in the later models based on what I saw last night.

Post #70628 30th Jun 2011 12:31pm
VaguelyVogue

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Buckingham Blue

That looks just like my UK spec TD6 suspension panel and I have never noticed any lights to indicate "motorway mode" - I have to admit that I assumed it may lower by 1" automatically above 60mph, but didn't need to tell you about it !

Post #70648 30th Jun 2011 2:25pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

davidp's diagram is for the td6/4.4petrol up to 2005 model...not sure whether the facelifts had the same control though..

Post #70651 30th Jun 2011 3:14pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>