Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General > Connecting iPod to range
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Ludzy

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue SE Supercharged Zambezi Silver
Connecting iPod to range

Having problems connecting my iPod to the car. It's a old iPod so I thought of just using the aux 3.5mm cable but the volume seems really low. Also tried with some phono's but couldnt get any sound at all. Not a problem with the iPod as volume is fine when plugged into other things. Am I doing something wrong? Don't want an actual kit. Using a cable is fine or me but can't work out why the volume is either low or no sound a all using phono's.

Cheers Ex FFRR 4.2 Supercharged

www.thecarpetfitter.co.uk

Post #62347 1st May 2011 10:39pm
Superspoons

England 2006 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.2 SC V8 Zambezi Silver

Ludzy,

Same here, 06' model via the Aux in and volume is so low. I'm interested in any replies to this thread too Very Happy

cheers Gavin

2005 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.2 Supercharged V8

Follow my 4.2 Supercharged antics -
https://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic63354.html
https://www.instagram.com/l322_supercharged/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8ChHNSdscnJarKjBLd_IAg

Post #62357 2nd May 2011 7:06am
AMD

United Kingdom 

I believe the issue is that the Aux in connector does not go through any amplification in the car sound system. I plug my iPod in via the Aux in and turn all volume up on both the iPod and vehicle stereo which gives a reasonable volume. Current MY2020
Gone: 1 x L405 and 2 x L322's

Post #62359 2nd May 2011 8:17am
Ludzy

So basically to get any good normal volume it's best to get a proper ipod kit. I did have a itrip but when I cant seem to find it DOH!!!

Is there another aux in at the rear of the headunit?

Thanks Ex FFRR 4.2 Supercharged

Post #62363 2nd May 2011 9:20am
mzplcg

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey

I use one of these cables which also allows me to charge the IPOD and it has the video capability as well meaning the IPOD can be used as a video source. A 160GB IPOD holds a lot more DVD films than the 6 DVD changer in the boot.

Dom

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MC748ZM/...jAyNDIxNTg

Post #62366 2nd May 2011 9:59am
Dogman

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Zermatt Silver

Using the stereo jack lead on my 2007/57 I get amplified volume via the speakers (no RSE on mine)?

So is volume full up on the ipod/iphone and when you adjust levels via the head unit volume controls there is no change to volume levels?

Post #62377 2nd May 2011 1:15pm
ZZT

United States 

All mp3 players are designed to drive headphones. Headphones simply do not need the same signal level as the AUX input. If you are going to use a headphone output, you'll need some type of in-line amplifier. Google "portable headphone amp" or "Sound Shocker Pro" and you'll find lots of info. Almost all need some sort of power (battery or car plug-in) except Sound Shocker.

Post #62380 2nd May 2011 1:47pm
ZZT

United States 

All mp3 players are designed to drive headphones. Headphones simply do not need the same signal level as the AUX input. If you are going to use a headphone output, you'll need some type of in-line amplifier. Google "portable headphone amp" or "Sound Shocker Pro" and you'll find lots of info. Almost all need some sort of power (battery or car plug-in) except Sound Shocker.

Post #62381 2nd May 2011 1:51pm
Dogman

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Zermatt Silver

This is only if you're not running through the car's amplification as you only need 'line level' (approx -10bd) in general to run via an amp and as the ipod/iphone stereo jack output is amplified it may produce more than this (without checking I cannot confirm) so you would not need the amp.

If the input is not running through the car's amplification a Stereo Headphone amplifiers may not give you the amount of ooomph required as they are only designed to drive a larger set of phones (i.e. cans etc) not multiple speakers. (I did try a headphone AMP for my boys car seat (which has integrated speakers) and the levels were still too low to hear comfortably above the ambient noise).

I still find it strange that LR would include an AUX input which does not run through the car's amplification as not that many buyers will have a spare 12v amplifier and without knowing the wiring diagram of how the speakers are connected in relation to a stereo source (to calculate impedance etc) it would be a guess as to what power and impedance the amp would have to cater for?

Does this only apply to pre 2007 models as (as I posted) this works OK (although not the best quality as MP3 source and ipod headphone output) on my non-RSE Vogue?

Post #62388 2nd May 2011 2:44pm
Andy

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

You lot are lucky - I haven't got an aux input on mine Crying or Very sad 2010 MY Vogue SE TDV8 3.6 Stornoway Grey- fully loaded

Post #62389 2nd May 2011 2:55pm
Ludzy

Well my ipod is only the 3rd generation. First with the colour display but only 20gb. In all my other cars I've just filled it up with songs and leave it in the car. I think I'm gonna have to have a good look for my old itrip. That worked perfectly through the radio.

thanks Ex FFRR 4.2 Supercharged

Post #62393 2nd May 2011 3:16pm
dan_uk_1984

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Tonga Green

noddy wrote:
You lot are lucky - I haven't got an aux input on mine Crying or Very sad

It's not an impossible mod... You just need to replace the BM54 unit with a newer one. Thumbs Up 

Post #62397 2nd May 2011 3:35pm
CMJ

2015 Range Rover Autobiography TDV6 Santorini Black

I have experienced low volumes with both RR and BMW aux connections - Cure ? Purchase an ipod specific in line connector

example

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1-2m-Ipod-Dock-3-5mm...3a63c7d2c5

As already posted if you use the headphone jack in an ipod the ipod assumes this is to headphones and uses the ipods own amplification.

If you connect using the ipod multi plug on the base of the ipod this a line out source PRE the ipods own amplification. This is treated by the car as any other signal and therefore you should get absolutley no difference in volume from the ipod source or the CD !! Worked for me on 2 cars and the quality of the sound is terrific

Post #62401 2nd May 2011 5:47pm
AMD

United Kingdom 

CMJ wrote:
I have experienced low volumes with both RR and BMW aux connections - Cure ? Purchase an ipod specific in line connector

example

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1-2m-Ipod-Dock-3-5mm...3a63c7d2c5

As already posted if you use the headphone jack in an ipod the ipod assumes this is to headphones and uses the ipods own amplification.

If you connect using the ipod multi plug on the base of the ipod this a line out source PRE the ipods own amplification. This is treated by the car as any other signal and therefore you should get absolutley no difference in volume from the ipod source or the CD !! Worked for me on 2 cars and the quality of the sound is terrific

Just tried it......unfortunately no difference than using a 3.5mm jack Sad Current MY2020
Gone: 1 x L405 and 2 x L322's

Post #62405 2nd May 2011 6:41pm
CMJ

2015 Range Rover Autobiography TDV6 Santorini Black

Strange. my RR is a 2007 model for reference and as I day I am more than happy with the loudness and quality for what it is (ipod/mp3) and I am quite fussy over music.

Can I ask when you plugged in using you cable did the volume still work on the ipod display allowing you to change the volume level via the ipod ?

Post #62411 2nd May 2011 8:29pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>