Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Td6 Won't Start - Immobiliser Problem?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
elbitrevnoc

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Vogue SE Td6 Buckingham Blue
Td6 Won't Start - Immobiliser Problem?

I wonder if anyone has experienced this, or can shed any light for me. Of late I find that the car won't start from time to time. When it does this, it won't start on first attempt. You turn the key, but the engine doesn't turn over and there's just a soft 'beeping' noise from somewhere in the centre panel. Usually the car starts second time, without problem.

However, I couldn't get it to start tonight - whatever I tried and I ended up having to call out a breakdown truck. After an hour or so they turned up and they had exactly the same problem, with the vital difference that the car finally started, on the 6th/7th attempt. In between we'd tried locking/unlocking the doors and turning things on and off (as I had done before calling them), but we didn't have a clue as to what it was that had got it going again!

My fear is that there is going to come a time when I can't start it at all, but I have no idea what the cause is. I have posted tales of some other infrequent electrics gremlins (like the mystery dropping of the steering column) and these all seem to be things that happen just every now and then and then go away for several months at a time. The 'not starting' thing is a relatively new one though and it seems to be happening more and more frequently.

I wonder if it might be something to do with the immobiliser - perhaps not recognising the key for example and I'm going to try using the spare tomorrow.

in the meantime, could I ask if anyone else come across this one? Confused

Thanks.

Post #190243 24th May 2013 12:07am
Joe90

England 

Could be the gear lever problem. Have you tried starting in Neutral, moving the gear lever to Drive and back to Park or Neutral then starting? You may need to grease the cable connection on the side of the gearbox, or get the cable by the lever replaced if bent? The problem can be caused by the gearbox inhibitor switch "not believing" you are in Park or Neutral. .
Experience is the only genuine knowledge, but as time passes, I have forgotten more than I can remember Wink
Volvo V70 P2 2006 2.4 Petrol 170bhp Estate SE
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Previous: L322 Range Rover TDV8 3.6 2008; L322 Range Rover TD6 3.0 2002; P38A Range Rover V8 1999

Post #190244 24th May 2013 12:19am
DavidP

Belgium 2006 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Bonatti Grey

It may be the ignition switich failing - recently had this problem with not beeping but 'electronic noises' from the switch area - changed the switch [not including the barrel and keys] and it works fine.
More in depth information if you search on here with ignition switch.
Good luck

Post #190253 24th May 2013 6:17am
ebajema

New Zealand 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Galway Green

+1 on DavidP. Several people had similar issues and most of them turned out to be the ignition switch. I bet Duckworth Dan can get you one PDQ. MY 2010 5.0 SC Galway green and sand interior!!
Have the Faultmate MSV2 Extreme to be tinkering with the settings etc. !!

Post #190260 24th May 2013 8:01am
elbitrevnoc

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Vogue SE Td6 Buckingham Blue

What a brilliant website this is! Thanks all. I really appreciate you taking the trouble to respond - and from all points of the globe too! Looks like the ignition switch may be the favourite - I've since seen a Youtube video of someone with a very similar problem and that turned out to be the ignition solenoid.

Off to Cornwall tonight though and keeping everything crossed!

Post #190420 24th May 2013 6:05pm
DavidP

Belgium 2006 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Bonatti Grey

elbitrevnoc - the video that you posted is identical to the 'noise' that I had. Replaced the ignition switch [supplied by Dan] and all is good.

Post #190513 25th May 2013 7:36am
Johnte

United Kingdom 

This is what it looks like ...

I had just the same problem (It does get worse until it won't start at all Sad )

Swapped and cured Thumbs Up

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Post #190528 25th May 2013 9:55am
Omnigamer

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Santorini Black

I have just got the same fault. Does anyone know how to get to it? !!!!!!! All the Kit, none of the Wit !!!!!!!

Post #216618 15th Oct 2013 3:54pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1