Home > Technical (L322) > Bluetooth Pairing weirdness
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black
Bluetooth Pairing weirdness

I normally only pair my personal phone (Sony Ericsson K850i) with the car and it works fine including the phonebook push.

Today I went to pair my work Blackberry (which was never an issue in the TD6). The Blackberry searched and found the car, I connected but then on the centre screen in the car the menu showed a numeric keypad and the prompt to enter a PIN. Shocked

Cleaely I know that the phone needs the PIN of 2121 to pair with the car, but I'm not sure what the car is now asking for. The phone wasn't asking for a PIN at this point either. It will only accept a 4 digit PIN and I tried all the usual suspects (2121, 1234,0000 etc)

So, while it was in this state it would not connect to the car.

Later, without doing anything, pressing the phone hardkey next to the Nav screen the display says 'no phone fitted'. But then oddly, a call came in and it came through via the bluetooth, despite it apparently not being connected.

Has anyone had this themselves? is this due to my blackberry and not the car? Does anyone know what that PIN is about? Shocked Discovery 4 HSE
1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF
1982 Series 3 Hard Top

*Gone:L462 D5 HSE LUX, L663 Defender 110 HSE, Discovery 3 HSE, 2014MY Range Rover Sport 5.0 Supercharged AB Dynamic; L405 Exec Vogue SE 4.4, 5.0 Supercharged Autobiography, Defender TDCi XS CSW, Defender TD5 HT, Vogue SE TDV8, Vogue TD6, RRSport SC 4.2V8, Classic 3.9 Vogue Auto, Land Rover Series 3 SWB

Post #12925 10th Feb 2010 9:19pm
VMPP

Portugal 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Buckingham Blue
Re: Bluetooth Pairing weirdness

RRUK wrote:

So, while it was in this state it would not connect to the car.
Later, without doing anything, pressing the phone hardkey next to the Nav screen the display says 'no phone fitted'. But then oddly, a call came in and it came through via the bluetooth, despite it apparently not being connected.
Has anyone had this themselves? is this due to my blackberry and not the car? Does anyone know what that PIN is about? Shocked

First, the car only accepts the last phone, so when changing phones, errors occur.

Second, that problem is the same as mine everyday...It has something to do with the startup of systems.
On the first position of the key (the acc), the car's systems start themselves. you get the LR screen and then voila, everything works fine. Full phone, phonebook, voice commends, etc...
But here is the issue. When you crank the engine, the systems start up again. once again LR screen, etc... Now, at this point, the full connection goes away and you get the phone on a semi connected mode. Meaning it only connects when receiving or making calls.

This happens because of connections differences. the car is looking again for a phone but the phone is still connected to the car from the first time. So, one doesn't recoginze the other untill when its needed (phone call)

There is also another thing, at least so I think for what you've said, the PIN. That happens only when, while on the semi connected mode (as above), you disconnect the call via the screen.
That PIN serves nothing.....It's only valid for craddle phones, so don't bother....

For your talks, your car has been upgraded with the phonebook capture. The system on its whole is not perfect because of the above issues and also because there must be some emulations of the craddle system adapted to the bluetooth system. So, once again, don't bother much...you can receive and make calls...so.....

Post #12956 11th Feb 2010 12:17am
alexbartman

2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Java Black

i have exactly the same thing....its pretty random, but sometimes I get a normal phone screen, and other times I get the "incorrect PIN entered" with a big red cross screen....all the time however, I can make and receive calls, I just have no control over the phone fromt he nav screen.
Ive got the car in the dealers to have a few things sorted out - including this as it drives me mad. They are updating the software and opening up address book access but I suspect that the only way to avoid it in future is to manually turn bluetooth on my blackberry when I get in the car and let it connect once everything has started up....Ive tried various permutations and am pretty sure that the reversing camera has some kind of effect on the linking-up of phone to car - so if you start up and put the car straight into reverse (before the land rover screen disappers from the nav unit) it causes this issue....I also dont think it helps that in this cold weather, I have to let the plugs warm for a few secs on my TDV8 before cranking the engine fully...
The service guy at Lookers (aka Charles Hurst) in battersea is a brilliant guy, really helpful and understanding - and he told me (strictly off the record of course) the the LR bluetooth system is pretty much useless and subject to these niggles. Ive also downgraded my blackberry software to the recommended LR version...so when I get the car back, hopefully things may have improved a bit...but I doubt it!
I had a BMW 5 series before the RR and their Bluetooth system is perfect - not one single connection problem ever - full address book transfer and multiple phone connections....wonder if LR got their bluetooth systems sorted for the 2010MY as its pretty much a standard thing on phones and cars and with the penalties applicable to dialling as well and speaking on a mobile phone - its pretty important they work.
I dont think parrot do a kit for the RR(mine's a 2007) but its probably the only way we'll be able to get reliable bluetooth in the car.....

Post #12962 11th Feb 2010 8:59am
VMPP

Portugal 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Buckingham Blue

alexbartman wrote:

... I suspect that the only way to avoid it in future is to manually turn bluetooth on my blackberry when I get in the car and let it connect once everything has started up....Ive tried various permutations and am pretty sure that the reversing camera has some kind of effect on the linking-up of phone to car - so if you start up and put the car straight into reverse (before the land rover screen disappers from the nav unit) it causes this issue....I also dont think it helps that in this cold weather, I have to let the plugs warm for a few secs on my TDV8 before cranking the engine fully...

The reversing camera has nothing to do with the phone. It's just the re-start of the systems that messes everything up. However, beware operations on the touch screen while the LR screen is on (like changing screens, touching nav key, volume adjustments, etc...). Every once in a while, everything will pack up, meaning no sound or other strange problems. So let everything start before touching.

There is also another way to fully activate your phone, and this works sometimes (assuming you have your phone activated as usual):
Enter the car
Start it
Wait for the LR screen to disapear
Then connect the venture cam, you get a ''phone removed'' message.
After the start of the venture cam, and its connection with the car, disconnect it. You then get a ''phone atached'' message.
Then voila, everything is available Mr. Green

alexbartman wrote:
The service guy at Lookers (aka Charles Hurst) in battersea is a brilliant guy, really helpful and understanding - and he told me (strictly off the record of course) the the LR bluetooth system is pretty much useless and subject to these niggles. Ive also downgraded my blackberry software to the recommended LR version...so when I get the car back, hopefully things may have improved a bit...but I doubt it!.....

Nope, they won't..... Mr. Green Mr. Green

Last edited by VMPP on 11th Feb 2010 8:27pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #12966 11th Feb 2010 9:47am
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

cheers guys Thumbs Up Discovery 4 HSE
1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF
1982 Series 3 Hard Top

*Gone:L462 D5 HSE LUX, L663 Defender 110 HSE, Discovery 3 HSE, 2014MY Range Rover Sport 5.0 Supercharged AB Dynamic; L405 Exec Vogue SE 4.4, 5.0 Supercharged Autobiography, Defender TDCi XS CSW, Defender TD5 HT, Vogue SE TDV8, Vogue TD6, RRSport SC 4.2V8, Classic 3.9 Vogue Auto, Land Rover Series 3 SWB

Post #12969 11th Feb 2010 10:50am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1