Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > anyone familiar with the front hubs?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
woodchopper23

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Ipanema Sand
anyone familiar with the front hubs?

Hi all.

Managed to snap a bolt in the hole where the Allen headed screw holds the brake disc to the hub. Big Cry

I mistakenly took it for a jacking bolt hole to push the disc off. I drilled it and then used a stud extractor which promptly snapped in the stuck bolt and cannot be removed. So no there is no.chance to remove the broken bolt. Big Cry

Before I remove the hub and replace , does any one know if once removed , will I be able to get at the other end of the broken bolt to try and turn if from there, or is the hole inacessable and should I order a new hub and save myself some time?

I've looked on google images and am undecided to wherever on not it will be accessible .

Please help! Question MY2010 TDV8 Vogue Ipanema Sand
2002 V8 Vogue Oslo Blue - Gone.

Post #168267 28th Jan 2013 10:29pm
JohnnyDangerous

England 2002 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Java Black

An engineering shop may be able to help you if you get the hub off. One day your life will flash before your eyes......................................make sure yours is worth watching!

Post #168272 28th Jan 2013 10:33pm
47p2

Scotland 

If you mean the guide pins (number 4 in the image below) then they do go right through but they will be a barsteward to get out from the back. There is a square collar on the face side that tightens up to the caliper carrier and would take a bit of shifting without the proper tools. An engineering shop should manage without too much problem or scrapyard for some used parts

Post #168285 28th Jan 2013 11:08pm
nicedayforit

England 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Giverny Green

Why not grind the disc around the bolt until you can remove the disc and then remove the remains of the bolt with Molegrips or similar.
If you can't get the remains of the bolt out of the hub just cut it of flush, it's not necessary anyway.
Discs are cheap to replace.

Post #168288 28th Jan 2013 11:13pm
Joe90

England 

Do you mean the grub screw that holds the disc onto the hub?

Just the one, yes?

Having broken it can you get the disc off and on?

If so, the grub screw is not necessary for safe operation, the pads will hold the disc in place until you get the wheel on, and the wheel nuts will hold everything in place.

If the disc won't come off, just grind/drill etc until you can.

Both my front wheels had these grub screws missing when I first got the car .
Experience is the only genuine knowledge, but as time passes, I have forgotten more than I can remember Wink
Volvo V70 P2 2006 2.4 Petrol 170bhp Estate SE
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Previous: L322 Range Rover TDV8 3.6 2008; L322 Range Rover TD6 3.0 2002; P38A Range Rover V8 1999

Post #168301 29th Jan 2013 12:00am
47p2

Scotland 

^^^ That will be number 9 then....no not that number nine Laughing Laughing

A good sharp cold chisel will remove it

Post #168308 29th Jan 2013 12:33am
mercs600

England 2002 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Java Black

A good engineering shop with a spark eroder will get it out without damaging the threads Wink

Post #168321 29th Jan 2013 1:27am
woodchopper23

Hi gents,

Yes its number 9 in the drawings, the one that holds the disk to the hub. As it was snapped the disk came off, but unfortuatley the bolt I threadded into the hole for number 9 , snapped and cannot be removed now. I refitted everything back together , hoping that bolt 9 was not needed, but its making a fair old racket , rattling away. It sounds like the disk is moving , but it could be the longer bolt that broke scraping on the inside of the hole.

If I can find somewhere with a spark eroder, they might get it out, but I'm still not eure I have not damaged any other part of the hub, by screwing a longer bolt into hole 9 in the first place . Thanks gothe good pictures guys, where do you get them from ? MY2010 TDV8 Vogue Ipanema Sand

Post #168336 29th Jan 2013 8:56am
ebajema

New Zealand 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Galway Green

Hi Woodie, if you grind the 9 bolt flush with the hub, you should be fine as I agree with the above, you don't need it. It only helps keeping the disc in place while you mount the wheel.

Another option to remove it is, grinding it flush or at least flat. Take a small diameter drill (say 1 or 2 mm) and drill the center out. Use a centerpunch to help stable drill start. Then make the hole bigger and bigger by going up 0.5 mm till you are close to the threads. Buy a left threaded conical tap (don't know the proper English term) and screw that into the hole to remove the remainder of the bolt. Once it is out, use the correct thread tap to clean the threaded hole and you should be fine. Use cutting oil generously while drilling and put little pressure on the drill (make sure the drills are very sharp) so they won't snap. Sharp drills cut very well without a lot of pressure on them.

The other option is spark eroder or welding something to the bolt (if it is still sticking out enough) but make sure you disconnect all the ground and positive connections and make sure the earth of the welder/eroder is actually on the hub and makes good connection. Otherwise the current can fry your electrics/electronics !! MY 2010 5.0 SC Galway green and sand interior!!
Have the Faultmate MSV2 Extreme to be tinkering with the settings etc. !!

Post #168340 29th Jan 2013 9:11am
nicedayforit

England 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Giverny Green

Workshop Manual , with pictures Smile from here,

http://www.landroverweb.com/Pdf-files/Manu...0Rover.pdf

The disc can't be loose, the wheels hold it in place tightly, unless your wheel nuts are slack. Smile

Post #168347 29th Jan 2013 9:54am
woodchopper23

If the disc is solid enough, then as long as its not my dust shield, which it shouldn't be as I just fixed it with penny washers, it must me Tue long bolt I've broken off catching inside of the hub somewhere. What is really like to know is if I can access the back of bolt 9 when the hub is removed, other wise its going to be a new hub. MY2010 TDV8 Vogue Ipanema Sand

Post #168356 29th Jan 2013 10:31am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1