Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General (L405) > Windscreen woes
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
garyRR

United Kingdom 

My windscreen has now been fitted. Credit to both Aviva and AutoGlass, the whole experience was completely hassle free, and no questions were asked when I requested a genuine Range Rover screen.

I see Range Rover have updated the design of the windscreen which I rather like! The bezels are smaller and squarer, the screen is also flatter like the latest Range Rovers, and the heating elements are barely noticeable.

Everything is working as it should and there is no wind noise.

2015 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 SDV8

Last edited by garyRR on 7th Oct 2024 5:53pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #701712 7th Oct 2024 5:37pm
Nabbler

Wales 2019 Range Rover SVAutobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

I never knew you could request a genuine screen but obviously that’s the way forward if I ever need a replacement. I’m with Aviva myself do you mind me asking what excess you had to pay for the genuine screen?
Just of topic a little I see on my policy that sunroofs are not covered but can be claimed if full excess is paid mine I think is £700 does yours mirror mine ? 2021 SVautobiography Dynamic Black ( Black wheels need to go )
1997 C140 Mercedes Benz CL500

Post #701713 7th Oct 2024 5:47pm
garyRR

United Kingdom 

The excess was no extra for a genuine screen - all I had to do was request genuine from AutoGlass, they raised the request with Aviva for approval and then scheduled me in once Aviva sent the approval.

Regarding sunroofs, I'm unsure. I'm assuming there is an increased excess for panoramic roofs. 2015 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 SDV8

Last edited by garyRR on 7th Oct 2024 6:11pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #701714 7th Oct 2024 5:51pm
Rob99

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

Nabbler wrote:
I never knew you could request a genuine screen but obviously that’s the way forward if I ever need a replacement. I’m with Aviva myself do you mind me asking what excess you had to pay for the genuine screen?
Just of topic a little I see on my policy that sunroofs are not covered but can be claimed if full excess is paid mine I think is £700 does yours mirror mine ?

A number of insurers will not agree to a branded Range Rover genuine screen, Direct Line group (inc Churchill) being one. I argued with Churchill for 2 weeks about a genuine screen but ran out of time to pursue further as had to get it MOT'd. The replacement is fine and was fitted properly at an AG service centre as they had to calibrate and check the ADAC sensors etc. but I do feel aggrieved that I pay a high premium, presumably as RR repairs are more expensive than a bloody citroen C1, and then don't get genuine parts.

On the sunroof issue, when recently renewing my insurance there were quite a lot of policies which do not cover sunroof glass and with a sliding pano roof on mine which, by all accounts, costs £000's to replace I wanted to make sure it was covered. It's always necessary these days to look at the fine print and also sometimes to contact them direct to get clarification. 2017 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography
2012 4.4 TDV8 Westminster - Gone, but not forgotten

Post #701717 7th Oct 2024 6:09pm
Alex1976

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Vogue TDV6 Santorini Black

That looks like they did a top job and with a genuine screen you must be happy.

I am kicking myself for not calling Aviva and asking to have AG fit a genuine screen after the initial attempt by National Windscreens with the XYG screen.

Although my screen was fitted correctly on the third attempt the XYG screens feel thin and cheap compared to genuine. The markings show it is only 4.8mm glass but I think genuine is 6mm.

Post #701733 7th Oct 2024 8:52pm
Glackowitz

United States 

What’s up with windshield replacements on range rovers?? About 2 months ago we took a rock on the freeway and a nice big double bullseye right in driver view. Luckily our daughter is our insurance agent and was already setting up a claim to our insurance. Talked with glass shop and it took them close to a month to find an oem windshield (oem for l322). Window finally came in and was installed that night on a drive out to our other daughters home we had a hum and a buzz at 55mph and above, took car back to shop and they said they couldn’t reproduce sound and gave it back. I spent about 5 minutes at home with some blue tape and resolved the noise, car went back for 3rd visit and they spent another hour or so looking at it with every excuse for the noise except the install of the glass, again given back unresolved. Did some research and found as I mentioned to them the cowl getting disturbed will cause this and should be lightly glued to windshield to fix, took back again and they said sound wasn’t able to be replicated, so wife got a ride to shop, took the shop owner and a tech for a ride on freeway and sound was there, again they tried to say it was the wipers, the a pillar cover, a missing piece of weatherstripping from under hood, everything but the cowl they removed. I called and they said they would try a few things. They put some of the black putty on a couple spots under the cowl but not fixed. Called again and asked specifically to have cowl glued to glass and was told again not not policy to do that due to getting it loose later if glass needed to be replaced again, anyway long story long, finally after 6 trips to the shop it was glued down and no more tape on cowl and hum and buzz gone. Will not recommend that shop to anyone, but was only one for insurance claim besides safelite and they were as bad on my work truck.

Post #702139 14th Oct 2024 6:44am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12