Home > Technical (L322) > Smartkey questions
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
AMV

2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Santorini Black
Smartkey questions

Gents, I've got some questions for you Rolling Eyes

a) I've bought a set of door handles covers from powerful and I'd like to drill a hole in the driver's cover so I can open my car in case the battery fails without removing the cover itself as some members of the forum did. I've noticed that my factory cover is not like the one in thre manual (see pic).

So how do I remove that cover to get access to the lock? I've tried to pull to the right after inserting the blade as the manual says but nothing happens.

b) Let's suppose the engine is on and the car is fully unlocked. In case I go away with the smart key what will happen to the car and engine?

c) does the smartkey provide some antihijacking protection? can I remotely lock the car with the engine running?

Your input is much appreciated as usually Thumbs Up Santorini Black RR Vogue 4.4 TDV8

Post #70029 26th Jun 2011 4:09pm
Mikeyjd

Wales 2003 Range Rover SE Td6 Zambezi Silver

I would suggest you contact powerful and tell them the part is not as described/advertised. They also do covers with key holes, surely it would be better to have those rather than have to drill holes in the blank ones. No longer FF owner but still interested. Present car Jaguar XE

Previous car Td6 SE

Previous LR- Disco 300TDi Auto

Post #70080 26th Jun 2011 11:56pm
AMV

Mikeyjd wrote:
I would suggest you contact powerful and tell them the part is not as described/advertised. They also do covers with key holes, surely it would be better to have those rather than have to drill holes in the blank ones.

Sorry, Mike, maybe I was not clear enough in my first post.

On the latest facelifts there's no exposed key slot as on previous versions. The key slot on the driver's door is hidden under a cover which is supposed to be simply removable (at least judging by the manual). My factory cover is not like the one illustrated in the manual and I recall some forum members wrote they had to remove colour coded third party covers to get access to the original cover. So I thought that maybe I can make an additional hole in the powerful color coded cover so I can remove both covers easily Thumbs Up

But first of all, I'd like to understand how can I remove the OEM door lock slot cover Rolling Eyes

Click image to enlarge

As you may see now powerful is shipping sets with different covers so they can fit all the L322 cars Wink Santorini Black RR Vogue 4.4 TDV8

Post #70197 27th Jun 2011 8:03pm
p-trax

Japan 2011 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Santorini Black

Andrew, I have the same lock cover, to remove I simply inserted the key and levered off.
I don't recall how much force was required.

WRT smart key, I have left the engine running whilst returning to house with the key in my pocket without effect.

No idea about c) Gerry

Post #70222 27th Jun 2011 9:18pm
AMV

Gerry, thanks for the input Thumbs Up
I've tried to apply some force but still wasn't able to remove the cover, will have to ask the someone at the dealership next time I visit them Rolling Eyes Santorini Black RR Vogue 4.4 TDV8

Post #70373 28th Jun 2011 7:15pm
AMV

It looks like we have a happy end with the cover issue Mr. Green
The guys at the dealership applied some force and understood there's no way to remove the cover, so they had to break and replace it Rolling with laughter

Answers for questions B and C would be much appreciated Bow down Santorini Black RR Vogue 4.4 TDV8

Post #71023 3rd Jul 2011 9:02pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1