Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L405) > whine/drone from front end?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
drdantheman1

United States 2019 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black
whine/drone from front end?

L405 with S/C v8, around 45K miles. I have this wine/drone/groan (hard to describe) from front end, most noticeable at 40-50mph but persistent even at higher speeds (noise gets drowned out by wind, etc). It's very slight, and unchanged since I bought the car 8-9k miles ago. Seems to be louder when off throttle and coasting. Thought it was the old Pirelli scorpion tires so had them changed with the new version scorpion zero (noise cancelling foam) but noise is unchanged. Took the dealer service person and tech for a drive, did not notice anything out of the ordinary.

It's very, very slight so I'm wondering if this is fairly normal from all the mechanical parts moving, or if this is the beginning of a bad wheel bearing or front diff. Anyone with a similar noise? 2020 FFRR Autobiography SCV8

Post #698388 19th Aug 2024 2:40pm
DrF

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover SVAutobiography 5.0 SC V8 Orkney Grey

I would say sounds like wheel bearings, does sound get worse when you turn left or right? I had all of mine done as the drone was terrible, funnily enough the dealer didn't notice it i did. When they go they go quite quickly so best to get checked.

Post #698411 19th Aug 2024 5:49pm
drdantheman1

United States 2019 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

Thanks for the quick reply! So that service advisor thought that as well but there is a winding road around the dealer that we drove on and it didn't change the noise at all (he still didn't really notice it). I've read that about bearings as well, tend to go quick, and this sound has been persistent for the last 8-10 months since I've owned the vehicle. No change. If not bearings, then maybe front diff? I've done the fluid change in transfer case and rear end, but postponed the front (I don't have a lift, harder to remove all the plates and bracing when only in off road height). Having said that, front diffs don't tend to be a common issue on the L405. 2020 FFRR Autobiography SCV8

Post #698412 19th Aug 2024 6:04pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1