Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Door latch problem
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
vs322

Greece 2004 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Java Black
Door latch problem

This may be common knowledge but since I haven't so far found a relevant post, I'll throw it out there fwiw.

Over time my driver's door had developed an odd problem where pulling on the handle would fail to open the door from the outside.

Contrary to the others, the driver's door handle always had to be pulled to the very end before the lock would unlatch. But recently, and especially in the hottest days, 9/10 times, pulling on the handle would fail to open the door.

Also, for years, the inner door pull would occasionally jam and the door would only unlock by the central lock button.

Thought about replacing the lock module as it's the only one that hasn't been replaced on my car but since the central locking worked, I decided to investigate further before spending any cash.

It turns out the door latch is adjustable. There is a rubber grommet next to the retaining bolts. Removing the grommet exposes an Allen head bolt. Pulling on the door handle causes this bolt to move downwards.

I lubricated and unscrewed/screwed back the bolt until there was a positive, pronounced click from the latch upon pulling the handle.

This seems to have done the trick and the door opening is now easy and the operation feels crisp and precise. Also has eliminated the occasional jam on the inside.

Post #697218 1st Aug 2024 9:43am
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

interesting, thank you.. Thumbs Up ... - .- -.

Y. O. L. O.

Post #697220 1st Aug 2024 11:18am
vs322

Greece 2004 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Java Black

You're welcome, Stan. At a glance seemed like I needed a new lock. But the way it was failing was unlike anything I'd seen before and quite a head-scratcher.

Post #697221 1st Aug 2024 11:22am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1