Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > 4.2 SC - Puller bolt size/pitch to remove crank pulley
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
oztraveller

Australia 2008 Range Rover Vogue 4.2 SC V8 Java Black
4.2 SC - Puller bolt size/pitch to remove crank pulley

Hi all,

I am currently going through a head removal/refurb/replacement on my 2008 L322 4.2 SC. I have stripped most of it down and am at the point where if I remove the crank pulley and front engine cover, I'm almost ready to get the heads off. I've already got the crank pulley bolt out (that was fun), but now I need to use a puller tool to extract the actual pulley.

What I'm trying to confirm, is the bolt size/thread pitch of the two small bolt holes in the pulley? I'm thinking either 5/16" or M8 but I've tried most of the extensive number of bolts in my puller set, but they don't seem to be the correct size/pitch. I've also cleaned out the thread holes so they're clean (they were previously caked with mud and dirt).

Perhaps I'm looking in the wrong place but I can't seem to find the bolt hole size/pitch info despite an extensive search across all the usual resources.

I really don't want to damage the threads in the pulley, so I thought it best to ask the "brains trust" for a definitive answer before I go any further!

Many thanks Smile

Post #696273 16th Jul 2024 6:13am
oztraveller

Australia 2008 Range Rover Vogue 4.2 SC V8 Java Black

An update on this - in the end I got it sorted, I found a reference on one of the Jaguar forums indicating the two threaded holes in the front of the crank pulley are M8 x 1.25. The issue I had was that the holes were quite badly damaged due to corrosion and it was very difficult to thread in a tap, and I was reluctant to try too hard without being 100% sure of the hole size. Once knowing what the correct thread size/pitch was, I tried again, and with some difficulty, was able to run my M8 tap all the way through on both holes, then attached the puller and removed the crank pulley. Wow was that tight, but it eventually came off and I was able to continue the top end strip down. Happy days!

Post #696568 21st Jul 2024 12:40am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1