Total Votes: 16

Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
PeterL1983

Romania 
V8 (P530) vs PHEV (P550e) debate

Hi all,
I'm trying to decide between the new 2025 Range Rover (SWB) with either BMW's V8 MHEV (P530) or JLR's PHEV (P550e).
I understand that, due to the increased weight of the battery pack, the suspension setup of the PHEV is not as comfortable as that of the V8. Is this true / noticeable?
Any other suggestions in choosing one over the other? Anyone have practical experience with both models?
Thanks in advance for the advice!
Cheers

Post #696355 17th Jul 2024 8:25am

United Kingdom 

I did the LR experience at Eastnor last week and after driving my p530 AB there and getting straight into a p460e SE. they were noticeably different. The p460e was a model year on from mine so suspension calibrations may have changed over time, but immediately I noticed that the poor ride quality in the p460. It should have been better than mine because it was on 21s and mine is on 23s. They both had dynamic response pro. Mine has the trade mark RR waft and glides over all but the worst surfaces, but the p460 was more like driving a BMW X series. The instructor put this down to the extra weight. The 460e was also quite slow in comparison. It left me thinking that I will avoid the hybrids as long as I can. Also, in SE trim, the seats are harder with very little adjustment in comparison. Mine may have been £30k or so more but it felt worth every penny overall.

Post #696404 17th Jul 2024 8:44pm
d3rm0

I have had two P460e and I now have a P550e. I haven't driven the V8, however in my opinion I think the RR is perfectly suited for electric. I use mine in EV a lot of the time and it floats around in silence. I have the larger wheels but the ride is really good in comfort. I think, like the Rolls Royce Spectre, the full electric version of the RR will be a success. Yes, if I am throwing it around a country lane I can feel the weight but that's not what I use it for. Thumbs Up

Post #696451 18th Jul 2024 4:37pm
PeterL1983

Romania 

Thank you for the insight! It's exactly the detailed response I was looking for. I much appreciate it!
How smooth is the P530's acceleration from standstill? I know some BMW's with the same V8 engine can sometimes jerk the car, if you're not very careful when setting off.

Post #696479 19th Jul 2024 8:32am
PeterL1983

Romania 

d3rm0 wrote:
I have had two P460e and I now have a P550e. I haven't driven the V8, however in my opinion I think the RR is perfectly suited for electric. I use mine in EV a lot of the time and it floats around in silence. I have the larger wheels but the ride is really good in comfort. I think, like the Rolls Royce Spectre, the full electric version of the RR will be a success. Yes, if I am throwing it around a country lane I can feel the weight but that's not what I use it for. Thumbs Up

Thank you for the reply!
May I ask why you had two different P460e before the P550e? Were there reliability reasons for switching the cars?
This will be my first RR, and I'm a bit nervous about reliability.
Thanks in advance for the help!

Post #696480 19th Jul 2024 8:44am
EdJ

United Kingdom 

I also have the P550e and it's hugely impressive. I use full electric most of the time, but when the engine is needed for longer journeys, it's powerful and responsive.

If I'm honest, I don't ever really feel that I've got 550 bhp to play with, but then again, it's not that sort of car. I had a V8 diesel L405 about 10 years ago, and I probably prefer a torquey diesel with these heavy cars. But the combination of petrol and battery is so well implemented, I would strongly recommend it.

One question worth thinking about is whether to go P460e or P550e. As I say, I have the latter, but I suspect the smaller engine would be more than adequate. 2024 Range Rover P550e AB

Post #696484 19th Jul 2024 9:50am
d3rm0

The P550e AB I have now was ordered two and a half years ago, I had the the two P460e's, that were cancelled orders and both SE's, as I was frustrated waiting for the 550 and at that time I could drive them and sell them back to the dealer and not lose any money on them. I didn't have any issues with either of the P460's. My P550e front camera got water in it and needed replacing and the drivers door creaked so LR replaced a seal that has stopped it. If you want 100% reliability buy a Toyota Landcruiser. Be careful as once you've been bitten by the Range Rover bug there is no going back!

Post #696490 19th Jul 2024 11:49am

United Kingdom 

PeterL1983 wrote:
Thank you for the insight! It's exactly the detailed response I was looking for. I much appreciate it!
How smooth is the P530's acceleration from standstill? I know some BMW's with the same V8 engine can sometimes jerk the car, if you're not very careful when setting off.

Driving around gently it’s fine. If you call for a bit more from the engine, there are occasions when it accelerates more than you were expecting for a slight increase in throttle input. I am not sure if this is due to the gearbox dropping a gear or two very readily or what. Once you are used to it, it’s fine. But yes, if you are rough with the throttle inputs you would experience some jerkiness. Mine is pre mild hybrid so the more recent ones may have ironed this out.

Post #696496 19th Jul 2024 1:48pm
Clipper

United Kingdom 

It's worth the starting poster noting that there are big tax advantages to buying hybrids in the UK.

Would be interested to hear of the difference between 460e and 550e as price difference is relatively small?

Post #696538 20th Jul 2024 9:17am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1