Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Reservoir & Valve Block Removal
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
pcourtney

England 2011 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Sumatra Black

When you have the air compressor open, and you are replacing the new piston ring in, have a look at the Reed Valve on top of the piston - is it slightly lifted from the surface of the piston?

the Reed Valve gets heated to very high temps, and then cools, and then it gets heated again, being metal it does not take too long for the Reed Valve to lift a little from its intended position and this can be one reason why the compressor is not functioning 100%

The compressor is actually doing its job, moving the piston and down, but if the "Reed Valve" does not open on the down-stroke and close on the up-stroke, it won't compress with the efficiency it was designed for - simply too much air escapes on the up-stroke

Check for any dirt particles that get caught under the reed valve, I had a little and it helped close the gap a bit, but not really enough I don't think

When the problem comes back, this thin bit of metal is not really fit for purpose, it just loses its hardness when being subjected to temperature extremes over years of abuse, it really needs changing for something that is a lot more heat resistant and can maintain its strength and flatness for 25 years or more Smile

I have a few metals that would work, but they are too thick, so I need to find someone who can supply me with thinner material and make a template, and will post back here with my findings

Post #557446 12th Jun 2020 3:32pm
fordy

Australia 2003 Range Rover HSE Td6 Galway Green

Can I ask how you released the 6th air pipe connected to the solenoid?
See photo...

Cheers

Post #696141 14th Jul 2024 4:11am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12