Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Finance, Insurance & Warranties > Making an insurance claim
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
AndyRoo

Scotland 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Fuji White

Hi, I'm not exactly sure of the legalities but the insurance companies ask if you have had any accidents in the last 5 years. The fact your car was parked and you were not even in it would say to me that you can quite legitimately say no to that question.

The only time the insurance company will record an accident is if someone reports it to them. As the other party isn't in any position to help I'd say he won't claim and unless you plan to claim then you don't necessarily have to report it. i.e. the aformentioned "I've not had an accident".

Anyway, I know what I'd be doing, best of luck with getting it sorted.

Andy Fuji White / Jet 2012 4.4 TDV8 Westminster

Post #694576 16th Jun 2024 9:13pm
Mick Chagger

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster 4.4 V8 Galway Green

[quote="Alistair"]When you come to renew yours, you'll be asked whether you have had any accidents or claims. Insurers share this type of information. I can't see how you can avoid declaring it once it's entered by another party.

Insurers simply do a search on the MIB CUE database which records any claims made......!

Post #694591 17th Jun 2024 10:09am
mgrover

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Santorini Black

yeah am just gonna yolo it and not bother with claiming.

not ideal by any stretch, i will most likely end up losing around 1k(250 for M5 door respray, and at worst case 750 for bumper/tailgate/upper tailgate).

while it sucks its cheaper than claiming and having my insurance go up by a combined total of 2k. Its actually a sport Sad

Not anymore, 4.4 TDV8 now Very Happy

Post #694709 19th Jun 2024 1:58pm
andygts

United Kingdom 

Keep quiet and take the financial hit, you'll pay alot more in raised premiums over the next 5 years having to declare it, once they get a sniff you become a statistic and the price jumps up.

A friend got caught out years ago, someone hit him, he started a claim then the lads father settled it in cash so he cancelled the claim, a few moths later at renewal time they had logged the incdient so his price shot up Big Cry Current
2017 Range Rover Sport SVR
2001 Porsche 911 Turbo
2002 Range Rover HSE TD6
+ Many other non LR products

Post #694755 20th Jun 2024 11:57am
ArcticM

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Buckingham Blue

I'd speak directly to the at fault insurer about a cash in lieu (CIL) settlement for the damage to your car. Don't really need to speak with your own insurer at this time. 2011 4.4TDV8 Vogue SE: Ex DrRob. You know the car..

Post #694779 20th Jun 2024 4:54pm
mgrover

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Santorini Black

but i assume if i do that in the future ill have to declare the claim? Its actually a sport Sad

Not anymore, 4.4 TDV8 now Very Happy

Post #694781 20th Jun 2024 5:00pm
ArcticM

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Buckingham Blue

You would have to declare the incident yes. Technically insurers want to know if you've been involved in an incident regardless of whether you've claimed or not (if you don't claim though there shouldn't be a record on the claims underwriting exchange/ CUE system) so you should be ok not to declare it if you don't make a claim.

As others have mentioned most insurer's will increase your premium even if it's a non fault incident and they make a full recovery. This is just the way they assess the risk. Someone who has had 3 non-fault incidents will pay a higher premium than someone who hasn't, simply because they are unlucky & a higher risk.

I guess you need to weigh up the cost of your repairs against the potential rise in your premium (may not be as much as you expect). In my experience it's worth pursuing the claim as your premium won't rise as much as the claim cost. I worked in claims for Directline for over 10 years, but have been out the industry for a few years now so just my 2 cents worth! Hope you get it sorted soon. 2011 4.4TDV8 Vogue SE: Ex DrRob. You know the car..

Post #694824 21st Jun 2024 11:47am
JayGee

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Orkney Grey

?si=lXR1-RI-2KW98m20 2012 TDV8 Vogue (L322)

Post #694853 21st Jun 2024 6:25pm
Sandyt

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Buckingham Blue

I had a similar incident and didnt claim the bloke that ran into me did so I ended up getting cash in lieu and used it to repair the damage and have both sides and the bonnet painted - on the downside my insurance went up 100 quid and when I queried it they said - if you have nbeen involved in an accident as no fault you are highly likely to have another - load of hydraulics just a way for them to squeeze more cash out of you
Fix it yourself and see what happens

Post #695382 1st Jul 2024 11:51pm
DaveK

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue TDV6 Corris Grey

Alistair wrote:
When you come to renew yours, you'll be asked whether you have had any accidents or claims. Insurers share this type of information. I can't see how you can avoid declaring it once it's entered by another party.

An accident, even with no claim, can affect your premium, but it's a bit of a black art, so also may not.

Absolutely P's me off this. You haven't had an accident, some one else has and you are a victim as a result. Why should we be hit with increased costs through no fault of our own for years to come. ?

Post #695809 8th Jul 2024 11:41pm
JayGee

You have to understand how insurance works. It's all about statistical analysis and someone involved in an accident is statisticaly more likley to be involved in others no matter what the cause. It may seem unfair but so do most things about car insurance. 2012 TDV8 Vogue (L322)

Post #695815 9th Jul 2024 8:12am
DaveK

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue TDV6 Corris Grey

So if a piece of a plane falls from the sky and damages your car, statistics say you are likely to suffer other accidents… Utter madness

Post #695817 9th Jul 2024 10:03am
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

surely a non fault accident would increase the odds of you having another one so why the hike in premiums... ... - .- -.

Y. O. L. O.

Post #695819 9th Jul 2024 10:52am
JayGee

When there is a sufficiently large sample size you are at measurably more risk to an insurer. It's not utter madness - it's statistical analysis. 2012 TDV8 Vogue (L322)

Post #695820 9th Jul 2024 11:03am
Scouse Exile

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Buckingham Blue

JayGee wrote:
When there is a sufficiently large sample size you are at measurably more risk to an insurer. It's not utter madness - it's statistical analysis.

I’m not sure that these are the only metrics at play though - there’s also greed and profiteering.

For example, why do renewals almost always end up dearer than shopping around?? Answer - because they monopolise on the behaviours of people who all too often don’t bother.

And, speaking as someone who last claimed on an insurance policy in 1998 - why is it my “risk” is perceived to go up each year?

Let’s be honest, there’s a lot more than maths at play here.

J

Post #695831 9th Jul 2024 12:34pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>