Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L405) > New owner - usb a to c upgrade? (let the mods commence)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
phc606

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover SVAutobiography 5.0 SC V8 Indus Silver
New owner - usb a to c upgrade? (let the mods commence)

Hi All,

Long time lurker new owner.

BLUF: anyone replaced or researched changing the USB 3 sockets to USB type C?

BACKGROUND
Hi All, we've had FFRRs in the family for years, I've repaired and worked on most of them, but never had my own, until now. It's been a purchase of the heart rather than head, which is way I've not sold on my previous car incase this thing turns into a complete lemon, therefore still treading carefully.

I'm loving the L405 though, any excuse to go out, and I'm gone, still so much to learn and figure out but getting there. I did a fair amount of research before the purchase, therefore knew certain aspects would make my modding obsession easier.

I plan to make a few posts about what I'm doing, why and how I get on, which I'll list further down. However this posts is purely as per the top, anyone figured out a way to change the usb connectors over to usb-c. I know some of the faceplates will make that tricky, however the rear foot level connectors look to be modules, so they might be a good starting point, the front console with the sim module, has that been upgraded in other JLR vehicles and can it simply be moved over, anyone else though about, done, or tried this please?

In the meantime my plans are (sorry long list)

1. Blackvue 2ch dashcam - done (rear cam installed just above plastic to base of rear tailgate, pita to route the cable into the tailgate)

2. Plex into RSE - part-done (using fire stick at the mo, installed in rear armrest, but takes up too much space, work in progress, doing term plan to install AppleTV. also want to move location of which ever streaming device out of armrest, that'll mean either taping into the HDMI feed somewhere else or routing from current connector to said other place, shouldn't be hard, just needs more time than I have at the mo)

3. Mous wireless iPhone charger mount to dash - done (never loved working on vag group cars then when trying to do this one, finding and routing power was insanely too tricky, not happy with the way I did it, but it works, may come back to this one)

4. Puddle logo mods - no started (the logo seems blurred, some type of image/profile of a range, but so blurred it's kinda pointless, needs replacing)

5. Rear boot side cubby net - done (bought the genuine LR one and fitted, seems fine, neat finish)

6. Umbrella mount - done (bought the LR one, seems ok, needs quite a thick girth brolly though)

7. CTEK convenience connector - done (the inline, not panel connector, with traffic lights, fitted under bonnet to jump start posts, cute cable too short, needs extending, location not great, have bought trailer ctek module but not tried)

8. Remove vodafone tracker - done (found a box in rear os wing, 3 wires, previous owner at a guess, removed and stamped on)

9. Wireless CarPlay adapter - done (usb box connected to front fridge cubby, flat cable used so ver discrete, but still not to the install level wanted, good start but will come back to, wondering about a hidden usb hub before the centre console, will need to use Fakra/HSD connections but technically should work, then I can hide the CarPlay adapter and still have use of the usb connectors etc)

10. Removal of locking wheel nuts, and replacement of corroded ones - not started (debating the locking nut removal, reason being preventative pita moment at some point in the future, other nuts are starting to corrode and don't want to get caught out by these either, dunno, assessing at mo)

11. Deep level detail and ppf fitted - done (yeah went over the top on this one big time, however Rangie will be outside so keen to give best chance possible. in future will dry ice underside and seal)

12. Roof aerial protect - not started (no idea how to do this, but the roof fin shows the marks and looks crappy so fast, cover it, ppf it, spray it... dunno but plan to do something)

13. Battery uprate - not started (spotted that just a few mins of having a door open whilst working on the car drains the battery real fast, change for higher Ah, change for lithium, install second battery, dunno, but needs attention)

14. Rear exhaust pods - not started (these things just seem to be flimsy plastic heat welded to gather things but aren't going to last, replace, mod, dunno)

15. Leather seats - not started (in main condition is great, however conscious of water on door tops, seat bases etc will wear, looking to clean nourish and protect)

16. RSE screens - not started (jury's out on this one, not sure if to try and upgrade for resolution, function. would love to be able to control the mounting motors somehow to adjust. or to simply remove)

17. Additional alloys - in progress (I hate diamond cut alloys, love the look, but know they simply won't last, will try to get another rim so I have two inc spare, such that when I muller some I have at least one side spare to replace with)

18. Rear exterior led lights - not started (I've noticed some 405's have red led that curl round the side of the rear light cluster, don't think mine do, wonder if that can be done)

19. Passenger wireless charging pad - not started (would be handy to have a phone charger on the fridge lid thing, I know the pre-facelift had options for this, but not seen anything for mine as yet)

20. Security - in progress (taken some easy steps to improve security, but debating wheel lock and ghost, first is visual deterrent, later more peace of mind, not sure if to bother on either)

21. Bike carrier - not started (debating roof rails, not sure. or towbar carrier)

22. Rear boot, more space - not started (insane amount of wasted space, esp where the aux battery would normally go, would like easier access to these areas for storage, at the mo have put some emergency essentials in there, and rest stuffed round spare wheel, but can't help thinking there ought to be a better way)

anyone else done the stuff I'm thinking of, or other stuff that's worthwhile, keen to learn and share. -------------------------------
2019 5.0 Indus Silver

Post #695687 7th Jul 2024 11:03am
tracker

Cyprus 2012 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

Hi phc606, to 18: I believe the US version of the rear light cluster have red led side markers. I just had the LED cluster replaced on one side on my newly aquired 2012 L322. It turned out the left side was US version and the right side was original version.

Post #695695 7th Jul 2024 1:44pm
phc606

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover SVAutobiography 5.0 SC V8 Indus Silver

interesting, thanks for the guidance. Oddly I pulled in for fuel (getting used to that) behind a first edition 405 and it had red side markers, however the light had more than the 2 squares mine has with I guess the indicator to the base, not sure if he'd upgraded or if that was factory, will have to research more, wondering about some type of mod to add the function, not on the high priority list just yet Wink -------------------------------
2019 5.0 Indus Silver

Post #695696 7th Jul 2024 1:58pm
Kot

United Kingdom 

Thumbs Up for ghost 2 2018 SE SDV8 4.4 Byron Blue

Post #695713 7th Jul 2024 7:03pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1