Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > "Smart Key Not Found" - Immobilizer Issue? Worse?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
zhud

United States 2012 Range Rover Supercharged 5.0 SC V8 Sumatra Black
"Smart Key Not Found" - Immobilizer Issue? Worse?

Hello all, I've been racking my brain on this for about a week. I'll first preface with how it occurred and what I have done attempting to remedy the issue and hopefully one/some of you incredibly smart people can offer suggestions. I have scoured the forums in attempt to find issue similar to this but usually there is never a solution offered or how it was resolved, so I am pretty much fearing the worst.

Firstly, the vehicle is a 2012 S/C. The problem initially happened after a start in the morning, not particularly cold morning, and during backing up the vehicle beeped at me and the backup camera went blank, and I got warnings for TPMS and Stability control module being inactive. I thought it might be a typical RR fault, turn if off and turn it back on thing. But as I was driving down the road, the errors continued and some of the buttons stopped working. I got it parked and tried to turn it back over and the vehicle shown a "Smart Key not found" on the dash. Even when I put the key near the immobilizer , the ignition will not go into the on position.

I initially thought it was the battery or alternator, so I took the battery to get checked out and they said it was low (57% charge) but still good. So I charged the battery and put it back in the vehicle and it started up. As I drove it home the same issues happened again. No battery warning light showed, but assumed it was the alternator.

I put the battery on the charger, and put a voltmeter on it and the battery was very low. Whatever is going on, the alternator is not charging the battery or running the systems.

After putting a good charge on the battery, the key still does not lock/unlock or start the vehicle, even at the immobilizer position. "Smart key not found". Days have passed with no avail.

So I decided to hook up the SDD to the ODB port and see what it says. Given that the car will not allow the ignition to go into the on position, the SDD software only gets what the modules will allow with the vehicle off (I believe). I have attached the module check screen from the software for reference.

I am at my wits end with this, as I am sure is common with issues like this. Just hoping someone here might have some insight. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Post #656970 17th Feb 2023 6:54pm
JMC

Scotland 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Orkney Grey

Check Fuse #1

I pulled it today and discovered the 'Smart Key Not Found' and no way to start the car. The older I get, the more I realise that people confuse wrinkles for wisdom Smile

Post #656978 17th Feb 2023 8:27pm
zhud

United States 2012 Range Rover Supercharged 5.0 SC V8 Sumatra Black

Thanks for sharing, I checked fuse #1 for continuity and it’s good.

I think I'm running out of options here. I’m starting to think I’m about to get fleeced at the dealership if I take it in. Fearful of something like a failed CJB, don’t want to think how much replacement is going to cost for that because it will keep me up at night.

Post #656987 17th Feb 2023 9:29pm
Rom

Netherlands 2012 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Santorini Black

Zhud,

Did you manage to solve it? I seem to have exactly the same problem, all the standard procedures don't don't have any success yet and running out of options.
As soon as I connect the battery the alarm will sound, the rest looks frozen. 2012 4.4 TDV8 Vogue
2010 3.6 TDV8 Vogue
2003 3.0 Vogue - Gone
1998 4.6 HSE

Post #674826 3rd Oct 2023 4:43pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1