Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Oil Change Intervals
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Old-un

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Causeway Grey
Oil Change Intervals

2011 l322 4.4 80,000 miles.

8,000 miles per annum mainly motorway and caravan pulling occasionally, no issues.

How often do you think I should change oil and filter, last one last year 5,000 miles ago. RR owner

Post #666524 13th Jun 2023 3:52pm
JayGee

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Orkney Grey

Some here do 5k intervals. I do 7k as like you I'm mainly M-Way. Nobody AFAIK follows the official service interval..... 2012 TDV8 Vogue (L322)

Post #666528 13th Jun 2023 4:46pm
garyRR

United Kingdom 

I alternate between an oil and filter change every 5,000 miles and a full service (oil and filter, air filters, pollen filter, grease hinges, fuel filter [slight overkill as these are good for 20,000 miles]) the next 5,000 miles.

Every 2 years I change the diff oils (75W90) and the transfer box oil (TF0753).

I tend to buy the engine oil when it's on offer from Opie Oils and my personal preference is Petronas 5000 FJ.

I use the Draper Professional Oil Extractor now (I used to dump but it's so easy to let it do its thing whilst changing the other parts, and no risk of oil splashing on the driveway).

A full service takes me just over an hour and involves no crouching, getting under the car, or into tight spaces. 2015 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 SDV8

Post #666531 13th Jun 2023 5:11pm
Merchy

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Zermatt Silver

To me as an engineer ( with OCD Whistle ) I Always change any car oil / filter at or below 6000, especially if driving mainly short distances. If I suspect that the oil is looking particularly black or the viscocity is suspect then I change as said than do it again after 500 miles to flush the system. That said, I would NEVER EVER use flushing oil.

Stuff like air filters, change upon inspection results. Diffs / transfer box every 25000 miles and gearbox oil filter at 50000. This may seem excessive to some, but I intend to keep my old bus for a long time and oil is a lot cheaper than buying new components.

A benefit of this is that inspecting the old oils gives you a sort of health check of your vehicles components, and that priceless commodity 'Peace of mind' Thumbs Up

Post #666560 14th Jun 2023 12:33am
SpitfireS

Germany 2012 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 V8 Santorini Black

To make an informed decision one could do a UOA (Used Oil Analysis) on the engine oil.
The reported values show the condition of the oil and give some insight on what part of the engine may be wearing more than normal.
The reported values can reveal the oil you were using was not as good as you thought it was.
For example: the viscosity @ 100C. If that value is way below the new oil value this means the oil is shearing down / getting thinner and that's an indication the oil is made from lower quality components.
Another example is the TBN (total base number) that shows the (used) oil's ability to counter acidic combustion by-products.
The values (let's say a viscosity @100C of 9,9cSt and a TBN of 7) can also reveal the oil you dumped was perfectly fine for another 'self inflicted' oil change interval. 2012 4.4TDV8
2000 Honda S2000

Post #666566 14th Jun 2023 8:28am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1