Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Red Restricted Performance - Safe to drive?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
RiX

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Ipanema Sand
Red Restricted Performance - Safe to drive?

Afternoon all.

On Thursday driving back from the shops I got the dreaded red restricted performance warning along with a distinct lack of power. Trying to get up Blue Bank near Whitby, for those that know it, was incredibly slow, but we got home eventually.

I plugged in the GAP IID an got the following " P132E-22 (6C) Turbocharger/supercharger boost control B performance - General signal failure - signal amplitude>maximum".
Having searched the forums etc I suspect that the actuator for the passenger side (UK) turbo is seized. This afternoon I tried to have a go at loosening it off, but the only area I have to use is a mud/gravel track and quite frankly jacking up the Range Rover on that surface always fills me with dread. I just didn't like the idea of wriggling around underneath it trying to spot the actuator to douse it in WD40. I'm also pretty sure where I needed to be lying is where I had the axle stand and the jack. So long story short I bottled it and decided to call the local Indy on Monday and hope it won't cost me an arm and a leg.

My real problem is it is the wife's birthday and I've made arrangements to take her out on Monday and the Range Rover is our only car.

So my question really is; will it be okay to do a few short trips 20 miles or so, all be it involving some steep hills, with the red triangle of doom on until I can get it sorted? Or do I have to tell the wife we have to cancel her birthday plans? Crying or Very sad

Thanks in advance,
Rick.

Post #645096 8th Oct 2022 3:50pm
JayGee

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Orkney Grey

Presume this is the 3.6? I wouldn't drive it without turbo control as if it over spins it could cause serious damage. If the track is level you should be OK as long as you chock the wheels, use axle stands and place some form of load spreaders like thick ply under the jack and axle stands to prevent them from sinking in. Just don't ever get under any car just on a jack and esp not the LR supplied scissor jack and never work on a slope. Better to cancel birthday plans than be the subject of funeral plans.... 2012 TDV8 Vogue (L322)

Post #645098 8th Oct 2022 4:07pm
RiX

Hi JayGee, thanks for the speedy reply.

Yeah, it is a 3.6 and doing serious damage sounds like something I want to avoid.

This afternoon I used my old Halfords jack on the front side jacking point to get it just high enough to put an axle stand on it's lowest setting under the front subframe as shown in the manual. Then I felt pretty confident that the axle stand and jack together would hold it and just about had enough room to wriggle underneath.......just (belly was touching the bottom of the car! Laughing ). But I quickly became convinced that my head needed to be where the axle stand was to be able to see the actuator. Am I looking in the wrong place?

I had originally planned to use the method someone had described on here for getting the car into super extended height mode and then putting some axle stands under the jacking points for good measure, but the car refused to do it..... but I think that is a problem for another day. Rolling Eyes

Post #645102 8th Oct 2022 4:38pm
JayGee

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Orkney Grey

Off road height usually gives plenty of room. Wheel ramps are another option or paving slabs? 2012 TDV8 Vogue (L322)

Post #645104 8th Oct 2022 4:51pm
RiX

Hi again.

I've jacked it up enough to get my bulk underneath for a look and have removed the splash guard, but cannot for the life of me see the actuator.

I've tried following these instructions from another thread on the subject:
"Now, the n/s one. Lying on your back looking towards the front of the RR, your head needs to be around half to three-quarters of the way back long the gearbox sump. You need to be lying just off-centre to the n/s of the RR. Look at the front prop shaft coupling where it meets the front diff. You will see the oil return pipe from the turbo to the sump disappear up into a void just above and to the right of the coupling. Keep your head where it is and shine your torch directly into that void at the exact angle from your eyeline. You will see the actuator arm and connecting rod going vertically up."

And watched a useful video on the RRSport page, but still cannot find it.

Can anybody give me an idiots guide to finding this thing, or have any photos?

Thanks in advance.
Rick.

Post #645179 9th Oct 2022 12:57pm
RiX

Success! Hopefully!

The description above is pretty much accurate. I could only see the side of the arm not the ball joint I was expecting to see.
I couldn't get anything to it to wiggles it, so I gave it a good spray with WD40, let that soak for a while then gave it a good soaking with spray grease. Then I started and stopped the engine a few times to get it to run the test cycle and see if that would get the actuator moving. After two starts..... no more "Limited Performance" warning. I cleared the faults then started and stopped it a few more times in the hope of really getting the grease in the joint.
Then I went for a short sprinted drive and so far the warning has not returned. Yay!

Hopefully that will keep that moving freely and fault free for a while. Thumbs Up

Post #645192 9th Oct 2022 4:44pm
Tdtj

Scotland 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

Glad you got a good result Thumbs Up 2016 4.4 diesel

Post #645195 9th Oct 2022 5:00pm
Haylands

England 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

And more importantly your good ladies birthday is back on...

Thumbs Up Bow down Thumbs Up Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold
-Click for Project Fatty off roader-

Post #645201 9th Oct 2022 6:09pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1