Home > General > Range supercharged
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
dazzpowder

United Kingdom 
Range supercharged

Hello all,

looking in to chopping my 2007 535d touring for an LPG converted 4.2 with 70K on the clock it's the facelifted 2007 model. I read a review in whic the auther mentions a delay when moving off after depressing the accelerator, anyone xperience this?

@ 70K anything majr to look out for? apart from the norm i.e brake discs etc?

thanks all

Post #62204 30th Apr 2011 11:45am
alanm_3

Location: my House, unless I’m not at home, in which case I’m somewhere else.

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Hi and welcome along!

I was offered a 2007 LPG S/C before I bought one without. There seem to be lots of (mostly negative) comments about LPG on the supercharged engine, so I decided against it.

I recommend doing a search for these related topics.

All the best Got - 2017 SDV8 Autobiography in Loire Blue
Had- 2008 TDV8 Vogue SE in Java black
Had - 2007 S/C in Stornoway Grey

Post #62206 30th Apr 2011 11:55am
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

member bozmandb9 has a s/c with lpg ..read his posts and you will be enlightened.. ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #62209 30th Apr 2011 12:16pm
letsavit2

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Java Black

Whats the 535d touring like? i fancy one of them.

My POS range rover is on its last warning or i,m trading it for a 535 touring... Laughing 2004 black Vogue TD6

Post #62242 30th Apr 2011 9:35pm
bozmandb9

I would say if it drives 100% on LPG, then should be fine. Make sure you see all documentation relating to the conversion. You need to see that it has been fitted with the top electronic sequential flashlube system, or even better hardened heads from JE Engineering.

It should drive 100% on LPG, with no problems, give it the beans, and see if it switches over to petrol. If it switches to petrol under hard load, I wouldn't worry, very few systems can deal with 400 bhp. It it doesn't, it's probably either got a second vaporiser, or split fuelling, I'd be interested to know which, since I'm still struggling a little to get the fuel trim right on mine!

Majority of the problems with conversions seem to be due to:

1. Some due to lack of fuel return line.
2. Some due to lack of flashlube
3. Some have caused problems with electronics due to 'splicing' into the vehicle electonics to take feeds for the conversion (totally unnecessary now)

Other than this, I guess like anything you get good or bad conversions, and LPG kits are constantly improving, as is the knowledge of the convertors, owners who had the conversion done in the very early days of the engine would have had to be very brave (or something).

Mileage is nothing, I bought mine at 110k, and it's just run in. Only thing I'd check apart from the obvious, is that ALL of the electronics work. I thought I had, but still have a drivers lumbar support not working, and intermittent fault with one of the rear screens, it comes on when it feels like it, probably the most annoying type of fault because how do you get it fixed knowing if you take it to a dealer, it will probably work fine when it gets there!

To me, an S/C on Petrol is close to motoring heaven, read my review on Pistonheads:
http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.a...2+V8+S%2FC

Good luck, and keep us posted! Range Rover-less at the moment - Pining!

Post #62243 30th Apr 2011 9:36pm
dazzpowder

United Kingdom 

Thanks for the replies. I saw may pro/cons threads but a quik read of the JE website has put me off one with LPG it seems 2.5K-3K would get you a decent conversion but that's just half the story.

The 535d is a great car, I'll probably keep mine a little longer now. I had the ECU remapped and with all that torque and once on the move it just seems capable of over taking anything. I just couldnt find anything to compare it with when looking for an estate - Great economy from a car this size and 0-60 in sub 6sec.

Servicing can be expensive the discs and pads on the 535 are £700+ So far in less than 6 months I've had the heated seat go and now the active steering control unit. Luckily I bought the xtended warranty - highly reccomend it if you buy one that doesnt come with a warranty.

Post #62257 30th Apr 2011 11:19pm
letsavit2

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Java Black

yea, practical, fast and economical dont usally go together, have owned a 3&5 series and both were good to me.

anyway back on topic;

How about the normal petrol\lpg, or does your budget go up to a TDV8? as good as your bmw is its not a range rover... Wink 2004 black Vogue TD6

Post #62263 1st May 2011 12:29am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1