Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Knocking, shells v diesel knock
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Who doesn`t love a v8

England 2012 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Java Black
Knocking, shells v diesel knock

High guys just joined as followed after times with previous RR ownerships.
Bought current vehicle with knowledge of unknown fault as they couldn’t start it and not to get another4.4tdav8 would have been criminal.
So have sorted the starting issue and only fault code registered is P040D-00(2f)
Which I think I have narrowed down to the n/s exhaust manifold sensor thanks to you guys.
Issue is when started vehicle knocks as if bigends have gone. Lessens very very slightly after a couple of seconds running but worsens with reving.
With a long screwdriver to the ear trick bottom end seems very quite and a betting man would say ridiculously loud diesel knock.
Interesting thing is no one could previously start it and someone’s cut a large 3inch square out of the Center of each air filter as if they think breathing is an issue.
Thinking of pulling dpf and do a chemical clean, service and maybe check EGR .
Can’t find any thread anywhere of mechanical issues on these engines so struggling to say shells, but no other fault codes.
Anyone throw any light or thought on the subject before I roll my sleeves up?

Post #577696 29th Dec 2020 7:36pm
aljo

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Vogue SE 2.0 PHEV Santorini Black

I would be inclined first to go for pulling each injector plug off one at a time while running to narrow it down a bit
There should be a noticeable drop in knocking noise if it is one of the injectors Last night I lay in bed looking up at the stars in the sky and I thought to myself, where,s the f**king ceiling!!

Post #577697 29th Dec 2020 8:00pm
Mikey

Scotland 

Don't do the above. You run the risk of damaging the injector drivers inside the ECU...

Post #577705 29th Dec 2020 9:11pm
northernmonkeyjones

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

Could be the high pressure pump. Have your listening device on that. They can be a bit noisy sometimes. Worth a listen.

I would be very surprised if it had bottom end damage, unless it ran out of oil or hadn’t been serviced for ever! The v8 lump is a pretty reliable unit, can’t think in the time I’ve been on here I’ve ever heard of a bottom end failure on one. There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜
FFRR 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography Santorini Black.
Fiat 500x 1.4 multiair Lounge 2015
2010 LR D4 Commercial 2.7 TDV6

Post #577714 29th Dec 2020 10:16pm
Hermes

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Stornoway Grey

What was the original fault causing it not to start?

Post #577715 29th Dec 2020 10:27pm
Who doesn`t love a v8

Knocking

They had tried a jump pack on what seems to have been a fairly flat Battery combined with flat Batterys within the remotes so intermittently not recognising the key, they obviously didn’t consider the amps required to spin it over.
I’ve turned it over by hand for a couple of revolutions to ensure not locked up or dropped a valve then checked all of the fault codes, cleared them all and started her up only code that is persistent is the previous mentioned EGR.
After research inc you guys EGR seems to cause dpf issues , blocking etc and diesel knock that I’ve never experienced before.
This would support the original slow turn over but when running she defiantly smells more diesel fume / unburnt than my last 4.4tdv8 but lack of any other codes that would confirm injection or dpf issues is somewhat confusing. But hay, who doesn’t like a puzzle for Christmas

Post #577718 29th Dec 2020 10:54pm
Baltic Blue

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Baltic Blue

One thing that comes to mind....
My brother was a time served diesel fitter and spent his whole working life maintaining diesel commercial vehicles of all types, but one thing he warned owners not to do under ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, was to spray “easy start” ether into the intake manifolds.
He always said it increases the “diesel knock” effect and once done you can’t quiet them down again without major injector overhauls.

Our modern injectors are ver very sophisticated and would be even more susceptible to long term damage from “ ether sprays”

Just a thought...
Mike. G reg 2.5VM Vogue Portofino red 1991- 1999
V reg 2.5td P38 Rioja red 1999- 2006
53 reg td6 Vogue Oslo blue 2006- 2015
11 reg 4.4 TdV8 Vogue SE. Baltic blue 2015- date.
https://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic56162...tty+affair

Post #577740 30th Dec 2020 10:46am
Sam

England 

Bit of a leftfield suggestion this, but if you’ve only just bought it and the previous owner couldn’t start it, the symptoms you secribe are not dissimilar to misfueling, I.e. petrol in the tank. Could be someone’s put a small amount on petrol in it, realised their folly then put diesel in it and then couldn’t start it. If you keep churning over and over it will eventually fire, but it’ll knock like a b@stard until all the petrol washes through. Can also potentiall knacker the high pressure pump as diesel is thick and is used as the lubricant in the pump, whereas petrol is much thinner and to make matters worse it is also of course a solvent, meaning any lubricating film left will quickly be dissolved.
Just a thought, but worth a sniff of the fuel system as petrol and diesel combined produvpce a smell all their own.
Be interested to hear what the outcome of this problem is.

Post #577896 31st Dec 2020 5:09pm
Who doesn`t love a v8

Morning guys , thought I’d update you all. Thanks for the prompt on the fuel Sam. I’ll check this before I go any deeper than I’m already in.
So far I’ve striped back to remove egr etc. All looks perfectly normal and operational. Spoken with usual mot inspector ref dpf and mot test procedure. Removed dpf yesterday,however looked like new.
Vehicle has what seems to also have an OSF drive shaft oil sill leak plus an engine oil leak from the o/s rocker!
I know who’d have thought that , the oil cooler and turbo pipe usuals are fine.
Was going to pull injectors next to have tested and cleaned and then into subframe etc to gain access to big ends😭.
So slight delay on that for today with Sam’s prompt.
Any one know a test for fuel contamination!
I’ll pull it all and flush plush change filters but would be interested to know contamination possibility or extent of percentage.

Post #578628 6th Jan 2021 11:00am
Sam

England 

Morning. The misfuelling could of course be a red herring, but far better to eliminate that first before going to the faff of dropping the sump. You're quite right, remove as much fuel as you can first; easiest way is to remove the sender units from the top of the tank then use a bucket and sponge to mop out all the fuel you possibly can. Once you've got as much fuel out as possible put some diesel in and crank it over until it starts, then just let it run until all the contaminated fuel washes through. It sounds horrendous while it does this as it'll be knocking like mad but it will eventually clear.
In case you're wondering I am in the trade and this is something I've had experience of over the years, and what you describe is very symptomatic of this problem.
As already mentioned though, this could all be a red herring, but if you've only just bought it as a non runner, then that is what I'd eliminate first before going any further.
Good luck with it, assuming you paid peanuts for it as a non-runner, you might just have bought yourself a very cheap RR....

Post #578631 6th Jan 2021 11:24am
Baltic Blue

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Baltic Blue

If you intend to do your own servicing, you might want to consider a syphon for sucking the oil out.
It would probably come in handy to drain the tank.

Mike G reg 2.5VM Vogue Portofino red 1991- 1999
V reg 2.5td P38 Rioja red 1999- 2006
53 reg td6 Vogue Oslo blue 2006- 2015
11 reg 4.4 TdV8 Vogue SE. Baltic blue 2015- date.
https://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic56162...tty+affair

Post #578633 6th Jan 2021 11:33am
Who doesn`t love a v8

Thanks for the tips guys, just reading up on percentage flash points so I can determine if and by what extent I have contamination. As you say Sam could be a red herring but sounds so much like a bade diesel knock it would make sense.
For the older ones of us out there who can remember the fuel shortages at the start of the century, it sounds worse than an old Renault extra diesel I ran on jet a1 with a squirt of oil per tank for a year.
Got me to work though, and amazing how many people wanted lifts 😂

Post #578634 6th Jan 2021 11:48am
kevinp

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Santorini Black

Regarding that you think the front drive shaft is leaking. My car was booked in for the front drive shaft leaking and it turned out to be the steering rack and it was dribbling on to the driveshaft.

Post #578639 6th Jan 2021 12:57pm
Who doesn`t love a v8

I’ll look deeper on the drive shaft front,was the rack a replaceable seal or complete unit

Post #578655 6th Jan 2021 3:02pm
kevinp

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Santorini Black

Complete unit mate. £3800 fitted. Lucky I had a warranty.

Post #578792 7th Jan 2021 11:26am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>