Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > New Spare Key
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
bigbo

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Buckingham Blue
New Spare Key

I know that there are lots of posts and expert replies relating to all sorts of issues with LR keys.

My car came with one key so I decided that I wanted a spare, but also I did not want to get involved in buying from china or ebay, I did not want to get involved with pulling the car apart to get at modules to reprogram or in buying a key in parts and assembling myself.

I thought I had it cracked in my understanding of how to go about getting a key.
I understand that any key needs to programming to get the remote functions to work and that was no problem So when I read on one of the posts here that LR made many keys for each car but kept some back and that if I purchased one of these it would be cut and have the correct chip fitted. Although it would not open the doors it would be recognised by the car and allow it to be started.
I bought a key from Duckworths (thanks to Rob for sorting so quickly) it arrived today but it will not start the car.

I don't really have an issue with this as Rob said I will need to take it to the Dealers but I would like to know where my understanding went wrong.
And second if I had an IID tool could I program the key?

Thanks everyone Range Rover 4.2 Supercharged 2006
Ford Focus EcoBoost 1.5 2017
MG TF 2003

Previous Cars of note
Land Rover Discovery 2
Jaguar Mk2 3.8 - Company car
MG Midget 1974 - Concours

Post #552674 4th May 2020 7:33pm
Haylands

England 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

They don't make spare keys and keep them just in case an owner needs one, the keys are generic and have to be programmed to work with your car, I believe the IID tool will do this to your year, send a quick message to Pat at Gap to verify.

A locksmith should be able to programme your new key from your old one but a lot charge a premium if you don't buy the key from them... Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold
-Click for Project Fatty off roader-

Post #552902 6th May 2020 10:47am
Bushy30

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Galway Green

Bigbo -- the pre-programme is only true of earlier models.

IID will programme your key -- follow the GAP manual, you need all keys present. Current: 2011 FFRR Vogue SE 4.4 TDV8
Previous: -
2004 FFRR Vogue 4.4 V8 with LPG
1997 P38 4.0 SE with LPG
1997 P38 4.6 Vogue with LPG

Post #552905 6th May 2020 11:05am
bgennette

Australia 2003 Range Rover HSE Td6 Java Black

If you gave Duckworths your correct VIN then the key supplied is valid in cut and RFID (Radio Frequency IDentification code). But your vehicle needs to know that the RFID code is not prohibited.

When the key is sucessfully inserted into the ignition barrel your vehicle security computer will interrogate the RFID chip , then recognise the code number programmed into it as being a match to one of the 10 codes assigned to the vehicle and then check that the RFID's associated 'in use' flag is set ON. Until a dealer (or aftermarket programmer like IID) sets that flag in the security computer's data table the ignition barrel won't unlock and the engine management computer won't get an 'Ok to start'.

The thinking here is to disable lost (or stolen) keys to prevent vehicle theft.

Programming the remote entry functions is completely separate to the anti theft security system. Remote entry talks to the Body Control Module ONLY and may be user updated at any time.

bye. 2003 TD6, EGR delete, vortex crankcase breather update, performance chip, UHF 2 way, Android head unit, crash camera on dash, always-on rear view camera to mirror screen, LED DRL`s, Electric trailer brake controller. FSR replaced. Pulling 3T caravan all about Australia

Post #553211 9th May 2020 12:01am
bigbo

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Buckingham Blue

Thanks everyone I now understand.

Now I need to decide between dealer or iid tool

I already have an icarsoft that I bought because its not VIN locked so I could plug it into all the cars I went to see, invaluable for that task.

I guess most of the indies could also program the car to accept the key. Range Rover 4.2 Supercharged 2006
Ford Focus EcoBoost 1.5 2017
MG TF 2003

Previous Cars of note
Land Rover Discovery 2
Jaguar Mk2 3.8 - Company car
MG Midget 1974 - Concours

Post #553212 9th May 2020 12:26am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1