Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > TDV8 diesel tuning chip
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
L7APK

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Java Black
TDV8 diesel tuning chip

I know theres been a few posts about these, but not so many concrete figures or definite experiences.
I had one fitted to a Nissan Navara and after a lot of testing it was only improving the MPG by 1 MPG. It did though, help when towing with it being an auto box it held on to the gear for a bit longer when you gave it some gas.
Has anyone fitted one of these to a TDV8 and can they say how its improved it, or not.
Has it made any difference on the MPG?
Was it worth fitting it?

Post #48436 1st Feb 2011 11:40pm
Baben

South Africa 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Luxor

Do a search on here and the disco3.co.uk forum and you will find as many opinions as you want about chipping or remapping.

I am biased, seeing as I sell remaps in SA, but my experience with my RRS TDV8 is that it wakes the vehicle up, lessens the considerable turbo-lag, and improves highway consumption to 9.1litre/100km. City consumption is drastically increased, probably due to my wife's heavy right stilleto. Point being the extra power is there but it costs you fuel. It is probably impossible to get extra power without extra consumption.
I have done a couple of FFRR TDV8 and to be frank, I wasn't all that impressed. Probably the bigger vehicle just needs so much more.

If you are only looking for economy, there is little point spending the money.
if you want better towing/driveability/performance then go for it.
Spend a little time on research and get a reputable company to do the work - someone who will be there when the sh%% hits the fan. Pete Bell, 10forcash, are good, and there are probably more.

Post #48446 2nd Feb 2011 10:20am
pjb

England 

Hi,

Had my car remapped recently - 2 weeks

It's probably only made 1 or 2 mpg difference.

Its made the throttle response a lot smoother & the gear changes seem smoother.

It probably has made the car feel a bit like if you put the sport mode on all the time, but now you still have the sport mode as well.

I've probably got a heavy right foot, as my journey to & from work / around town, my average before was circa 22mpg its now 23.8mpg.

Yes it drives better but worth the money, the jury's still out !

Regards

paul Paul
L405 now sold

Post #48449 2nd Feb 2011 10:35am
Vogue

United Kingdom 

+ 2 mpg - 23 up to 25 and now running at 26.5 mpg after being more economical with the boot.

You will find that the command shift sports box makes no difference with a MAP and the extra horses - this whilst using a stop watch, so its not just an impression.

7 secs 0-60 is the norm same as a 4.2 S/C - or if you want to be picky the TDV8 just beats it by micro seconds.

BUT beware who you get it done by, one chap contacted me via P.M. he had his done and it warped the manifolds = not impressed, huge bill from main agent and voided warranty!

I'd personally go JE, though there are others inclusding BAS who are sponsers - loads of info on here if you do a search and on the Sporty Forum.

Some of the LR Experience gentlemen also have/had their own personal vehicles chipped / mapped...

Post #48452 2nd Feb 2011 11:02am
T24RES

United Kingdom 

pjb wrote:
Hi,

Had my car remapped recently - 2 weeks

It's probably only made 1 or 2 mpg difference.

Its made the throttle response a lot smoother & the gear changes seem smoother.

It probably has made the car feel a bit like if you put the sport mode on all the time, but now you still have the sport mode as well.

I've probably got a heavy right foot, as my journey to & from work / around town, my average before was circa 22mpg its now 23.8mpg.

Yes it drives better but worth the money, the jury's still out !

Regards

paul

Who did yours? Ian

Post #48497 2nd Feb 2011 4:27pm
haveplan

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Giverny Green

had a 300tdi ES disco, chipped it which made a noticable difference. Still have an Alfa Romeo 156 2.4 diesel also chipped and on this car it completely transformed the car. Now I also have a TDV8 Vogue SE, bought the chip but have a real problem fitting it as I can't see the plug on the fuel rail. I roughly know where it is located but if anyone knows of a way on how to fit it, I would be immensly gratefull.

Post #148869 29th Oct 2012 9:21pm
PDB

United Kingdom 

I had my RRS TDV8 remapped by JE in Coventry. While I can't claim that it improved economy, it did make it a truly quick and fun car to drive, especially cross country where the massive grip and monumental torque (800Nm) made it a real hoot.

I also had one of their stainless steel full exhaust systems fitted with the large oval tail pipes, which made it sound like a proper V8. Smile

Paul

Post #149674 4th Nov 2012 11:28am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1