Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General > TD6 Owners ... What do you think?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
A1GSS

England 
TD6 Owners ... What do you think?

Hi,

Interested in Forum members' view of the TD6 engine.... given that I can't afford a TDV8 I'm looking at a choice between the TD6, or a petrol (with or without LPG). Petrols are relatively cheaper, but the LPG conversion would eat up some of the difference.

If the consensus is that the TD6 is hopeless then I'll focus on the petrols...

Thanks. Graham

____
Gone: 10MY L320 RR Sport HSE, Ipanema Sand
Gone: 20MY Jaguar iPace HSE, Silicon Silver
Gone: 17MY RR Evoque SE Tech, Loire Blue
Gone: 08MY Discovery 3 XS, Stornoway Grey
Gone: 07MY FFRR TDV8 Vogue, Stornoway Grey

Post #43447 24th Dec 2010 2:54pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

i got a td6 and although i've had no problems with it , i feel i should have got a petrol and thats only because of the low mileage i do..the td6 does have loads of toque and will cruise at 70/80 mph all day.. ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #43448 24th Dec 2010 3:09pm
letsavit2

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Java Black

Depends what you want, for me the range rover is a sit back and relax drive it doesn't feel right driving around fast, especially round corners. My TD6 has enough power for me and if i wanted a sports car i would have bought one.

Go drive one. 2004 black Vogue TD6

Post #43449 24th Dec 2010 3:14pm
bogie

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Java Black

I think it depends on how many miles you will do, and if you pay for your own fuel or is it business mileage ...you need to do the maths

I have a 4.4V8 petrol, do about 10K miles a year, but have a fuel card from work

for 5-6K miles a year, the real world difference is like 15mpg avg vs 20-25Mpg, it really makes no odds by the time youve paid a premium for the diesel version ...find an already LPG'd petrol and your sorted

then of course the petrol is more powerful... cheers
bogie

Post #43450 24th Dec 2010 3:15pm
A1GSS

England 

Thanks. Good point about the style of driving. I've got an S4 for blasting about in... Thumbs Up

I suppose my concern is that the TDV6 Disco 3 we have feels pretty sluggish - adequate is probably a kind word for it. That's got more power and torque than the TD6. Does about 28mpg. Graham

____

Post #43451 24th Dec 2010 3:16pm
td6 vogue

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Java Black

[quote="letsavit2"]Depends what you want, for me the range rover is a sit back and relax drive it doesn't feel right driving around fast, especially round corners. My TD6 has enough power for me and if i wanted a sports car i would have bought one.

Go drive one.[/quote
Agree . Had mine from new and think it great. Selling it the end of Jan if your not in a hurry!!! Wink

Post #43460 24th Dec 2010 3:57pm
A1GSS

England 

td6 vogue wrote:
....mine from new and think it great. Selling it the end of Jan if your not in a hurry!!! Wink

Could be interested, could you let me have some details? PM, email me via my profile... Graham

____

Post #43463 24th Dec 2010 4:06pm
elpeede

England 2003 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Zambezi Silver

Proof is in the pudding as everyone here is biased, go and drive one or two.

I have a TD6 and I'm happy with it, drive it across Europe with a Twin axle caravan on and no issues with the power. Then again I have a 2.5 TD (no i!) 110 Landrover CSW to contrast the TD6 against. Having driven the TDV6 Disco there is clearly more power but the TD6 does exactly what it says on the Tin, sport mode is fine for me and they can be remapped at a reasonable price. Average here MPG is 23 , recent Motorway trip 29.4 without spareing the horses.

LPG also will save money but take a look at what is happening to LPG and consider that in your decission making. It used to be 25% the cost of Petrol, its now around 60% and its gone up around 18% in the last 6 weeks in places. Could still make it an option mind.

Also consider how long you intend to keep - fuel is only going to go up and given your budget (like me) you are at the lower end of the FFRR Spectrum... so at least and loss will be minimal compared to these loverly newer models Thumbs Up 2010 Disco XS TDV6, 2009 Freelander 2 GS

Previous Landrover products -1990 110 TDI CSW, 2003 TD6 Vogue - RRC TD Vogue, RRC v8 Fleetline, Disco ES V8 LPG, 101 Ambulance "Morph", 1964 SIIa Auto Powered by Jag 4.2 Lump - "Percy".

Post #43465 24th Dec 2010 4:25pm
A1GSS

England 

Thanks elpeede, that's a balanced view. I hadn't thought of the LPG cost increases but you're right, of course Graham

____

Post #43466 24th Dec 2010 4:29pm
nbunney

United Kingdom 

TD6 are fine, even better with a ECU upgrade / chip as some owners who have had it done will say.

Post #43513 24th Dec 2010 9:13pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

HAHA! You beat me to it!

I was just about to talk about enhancing the TD6 with an engine remap or 'chip' as most people refer to them. they are of course very different alterations.

I had a TD6 and had it remapped by a certain well know firm based in Coventry. It made a world of difference to the driveability of the car, smoothness and overtaking power in the mid range. I loved that car and only chopped it in really cos I fancied the TDV8.

A TD6 will return 26MPG even if chipped and they are a stable unit, whereas the V8 has a few issues that need sorting as it gets older in the tooth.

LPG conversions take 3 years to pay back and there's some excellent information in the maintenance forum. Discovery 4 HSE
1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF
1982 Series 3 Hard Top

*Gone:L462 D5 HSE LUX, L663 Defender 110 HSE, Discovery 3 HSE, 2014MY Range Rover Sport 5.0 Supercharged AB Dynamic; L405 Exec Vogue SE 4.4, 5.0 Supercharged Autobiography, Defender TDCi XS CSW, Defender TD5 HT, Vogue SE TDV8, Vogue TD6, RRSport SC 4.2V8, Classic 3.9 Vogue Auto, Land Rover Series 3 SWB

Post #43552 25th Dec 2010 12:12am
GregP

United Kingdom 2002 Range Rover HSE Td6 Adriatic Blue

Had my Td6 for 3 weeks now and it's fine. Like letsavit has said I don't feel like speeding around. That said I am going to be getting it "chipped" (prob by JE) to improve the economy and responsiveness of the vehicle. FFRR TD6 HSE
Adriatic Blue with Parchment leather.

Post #43553 25th Dec 2010 12:14am
Joe90

England 

I do miss the V8 burble of my 4.6 P38A, and I get pangs everytime a work colleague with one pulls into the car park, but been running with a TD6 now for 2.5 years, sounds like a tractor, but hits a sweet spot at 74 and 80 mph (3000revs) (when on autobahns) and is just good to go anywhere. Loads of grunt, in low range you have to brake quite hard to hold the thing back. Working myself up to a remap for economy/smoothness but getting @ 26mpg from mixed driving. .
Experience is the only genuine knowledge, but as time passes, I have forgotten more than I can remember Wink
Volvo V70 P2 2006 2.4 Petrol 170bhp Estate SE
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Previous: L322 Range Rover TDV8 3.6 2008; L322 Range Rover TD6 3.0 2002; P38A Range Rover V8 1999

Post #43556 25th Dec 2010 2:27am
Tim in Scotland

Location: Somewhere between here and there, if not then I'm all at sea or at home in Scotland

2010 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

I have run FFRR TD6SE, RRS TDv62.7 SE, RRS TDv8 HSE and now a 2010MY FFRR TDv8 Vogue. The TDv8 RRS was the best all round performer of them all, the TDv6 RRS was "OK", the TD6 was a fine car (seeing as I saved for 28 years to buy it it had to be!) the engine is a little more vocal than the others but it had quite enough power and torque for my needs and it twoed my little trailer well. The TDv8 FFRR is the most luxurious car I have owned and it is also the most economical Range Rover I have run, it is also the best finished and probably the best all round car I have ever owned but if only it had the same suspension set-up as the TDv8 RRS had it would then be the very best car I have ever owned! The DR system of the TDv8 RRS was a superb balance of sportiness and comfort in a car that I have owned, although it couldn't smother potholes quite like either of the FFRR's I've had. TBH I don't think you will be missing or feel short changed by owning a TD6 - for it's era it was a good diesel engine - just a pity that BMW didn't see fit to upgrade it while they owned LR to similar specs as the same engine in the 3,5 and X5 series cars, but then they wouldn't have sold as many X5 3.0 diesels I suppose! 2018 Mini Countryman Cooper S E All4 PHEV in Melting Silver - it’s whisper quiet in EV and polluter modes

Post #43557 25th Dec 2010 2:46am
A1GSS

England 

H Folks,

Thanks for all the opinions and views! Appreciated. Thumbs Up Graham

____

Post #43573 25th Dec 2010 12:58pm