Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > In Car Electronics (L322) > Tablet in 2005 RR Vogue LR322
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Lawxlb

England 2005 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Zermatt Silver
Tablet in 2005 RR Vogue LR322

So I've purchased an 05 RR Vogue, which I love. However, not so much the ICE side. In hindsight, an earlier model may of been a better choice, as you can straight swap the stereo for an all singing all dancing unit with everything (AD2P, DAB, etc). So this discussion has taken place many a time on various forum's, but I'd like to try something slightly different...

As I'm governed by the whole DSP amp situation - the only options I'm left with are: Total gut and replace. MOST aux interface to replace CD changer. Splice into CD changer L&R cables and have a silent CD playing to open the audio Chanel and allow audio to reach the amp (which I really don't like the sound of). Finally, a Parrot (or similar brand) handsfree aftermarket kit which will give me Bluetooth streaming, hands free etc (however, only through front 2 speakers, if I'm correct?)

So here's the idea... I intend to install a google Nexus 7 (1st gen) on the dash, just in front of the central speaker (so I can pop the cables through the speaker cut out and straight into the back of the nexus dock). The reason I went for a nexus 7 1st gen is that the dock is pretty compact and has the power and aux inputs at the rear, so will be out of view. I'm thinking of using the MOST RR aux interface to link to the system and install it where the CD changer previously was. I don't actually mind the look of the existing touch screen stereo, so happy to leave it there and use it for diagnostics, etc. But will primary use the tablet for all other functions. I think having the nexus fitted on the dash will look pretty good and resemble newer cars of today that have the flat screen pop-up style systems fitted.

Just a few questions.. Firstly, can anybody see any major issues with this? Secondly, is there anyway of achieving Bluetooth hands free calling via the nexus? I appreciate this sounds a little odd and may ask 'why not just put your phone directly in to a docking station?' - well, I'd rather have the tablet almost semi-permanently fixed in place on the dash and I like the thought of a big (bigger) screen (similar to what newer cars have nowadays). I don't really fancy carrying a phablet around in my pocket as well and rather like my iphone! I know parrot do a 'smart asteroid' car kit that comes with a little touchscreen to go on your dash, so some sort of software or app that makes your tablet act as an intermediate for routing calls, streaming music, sat nav, etc would be great.

I'm guessing it's a bit far fetched, so if there is not such an app or software available, I guess I'll have to just use the tablet for music, sat nav, etc. Then update my BT module for a post 09' unit to pair my iphone?

Any thoughts, suggestions, all welcomed!..👍🏻

Post #409579 16th Oct 2016 11:03pm
Joe90

England 

A useful article - food for thought

https://www.cnet.com/uk/how-to/transform-y...owerhouse/

I have also considered this (and now I have bluetooth on board you might get ME going on this again!) - but the BT module will only connect to one device at a time, so my phone (HTC until I get a Google Pixel) will have to take precedence. Suitable 90 degree cables should make the setup more appealing to the eye and make for an easier fit.

An ELM 327 BT OBD module and Torque Pro may provide all the car info needed, and wifi tether to phone for navigation/interweb etc.

I am also working up a Raspberry Pi solution (audio & video) having previously connected up a laptop to the car's system, but this is easier on the earlier cars. .
Experience is the only genuine knowledge, but as time passes, I have forgotten more than I can remember Wink
Volvo V70 P2 2006 2.4 Petrol 170bhp Estate SE
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Previous: L322 Range Rover TDV8 3.6 2008; L322 Range Rover TD6 3.0 2002; P38A Range Rover V8 1999

Post #409582 17th Oct 2016 12:29am
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

someone on the RRS forum has done it..... ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #409592 17th Oct 2016 7:01am
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

link , http://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/topic43752.html ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #409595 17th Oct 2016 7:54am
Lawxlb

Interesting.. Certainly is food for thought.. Especially the ELM327 unit.. Didn't know such a thing existed.. Cheap as well!

I'm now thinking of attaching a Bluetooth gateway on the end of the 3.5mm jack the MOST RR interface provides. That way, I can connect to either the ELM327 or stream audio to the stereo???

Post #409607 17th Oct 2016 10:46am
Lawxlb

Cheers Stan.. Automate app looks just the job!!

Post #409670 17th Oct 2016 9:02pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1