Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > L322 Update/Upgrade
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Realist

Wales 
L322 Update/Upgrade

Guys,

What do you think is the best value for money upgrade you can do to the following:

2007 Vogue SE Diesel

It has all the bits and bobs but can it be brought up to date for example....

I find the Bluetooth is crap and the wife cant use her Samsung S6 with the in car kit?
The satnav is poor updated disc to the last version so can the head unit be updated to a latest version?

Cant think of anything else apart from a better looking set of wheels from the standard looking type.

Regards and thanks.

Post #373132 19th Feb 2016 4:32pm
northernmonkeyjones

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

simple answer to the nav/audio question is no you can't just update to the latter head unit. Although they are both most units they run at different bit rates so you can't just plug in the new one.

i think there is an update to the Bluetooth module so it can pair with latter phones. Afaik.

There are also only a few options to add iPod conectivity have a search on this, there is a thread on some new kit out there which allows an iPod connection directly to the head unit, but it's still a clunky affair compared to new units in modern cars.

In terms of things to do. Concentrate on the mechanicals.

For peace of mind do the diff fluids and transfer box. If it hasn't been done recently do the brake fluid, check the recall on the brake hoses has been done. Thumbs Up There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜
FFRR 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography Santorini Black.
Fiat 500x 1.4 multiair Lounge 2015
2010 LR D4 Commercial 2.7 TDV6

Post #373193 19th Feb 2016 10:59pm
miggit

United Kingdom 

Clean the EGR valves or get them bypassed Thumbs Up Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!
Inventor of the 'Guide-o-Matic automatic wheel alignment tool'
Former long term L322 owner, Up/Down graded to a Classic Tractor!

Post #373224 20th Feb 2016 2:07am
Road Stone

Australia 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Java Black

Hi,

I had the same issue with the blue tooth, remember 2007 was a year before the first iphone existed!!

So I bought one of those little BT devices and plugged it into the AUX jack and hid the unit behind the vent so it doesnt get kicked by back seat passengers. Works really well and can play all music etc on Samsung/HTC and any device that has blue tooth through the ICE.

Mine didnt have RSE so I put in two nine inch screens/DVDs with IR head phones for the kids. Very useful! Excellent too and an upgrade that cost just over 100 quid so well worth it.

Cheers, Jerry

Post #373227 20th Feb 2016 7:04am
jonnyboy54321

United Kingdom 

Jerry
Love to see some pics/spec of your aftermarket rse installation!

Post #373237 20th Feb 2016 10:10am
Realist

Wales 

Now that sounds (pardon the pun) great just what I'm after.

Post the item details up for us please and I'll look into it.

Post #373252 20th Feb 2016 12:21pm
miggit

United Kingdom 

Whistle When I said about the EGR it is something that really needs to be looked at, cos when they block, and they do, the Turbo goes bang, you go Censored and your wallet goes Big Cry

If yours has had EGR / turbo work recently ignore this, if your ffrr hasn't or you don't know get it checked as you could be sitting in a financial time bomb Shocked There have been a few posts going I've had the ffrr for 6 weeks and the turbos have gone pop, my pipes have split.... Only being new to the forum, I'm assuming that your new to the ups and downs of owning a Range Rover, and as such I personally wouldn't want that to be a bad experience for you...

So far mine has eaten a gearbox, popped it's front air bags and destroyed the EAS compressor, oh and I've also had to have the injectors re-built.... pit falls of owning a TD6, avoidable? not really, it's an age / mileage thing. Would I change it? possibly, 3.6 TDV8 ? I'd be wary of the turbos / egr, everything else would appear to be sound. The main reason for not up grading is fuel consumption.. I think that it would be worse for the towing that I do, so at the moment I'm sticking with the Devil I know.

Anyhow enough of my sorry tales, please please do a search on TDV8 EGR / Turbo issues, they don't all have problems... but it could be better to err on the side of caution and find that there is nothing, than to carry on regardless and suffer a major wallet bashing. And above all Mr. Green , no that is literally it enjoy it, and enjoy looking down on admiring motorists in traffic, it's the best car in the world.... but it does possess the ability to bring a grown man to tears very quickly Shocked Big Cry Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!

Post #373285 20th Feb 2016 5:35pm
Realist

Wales 

I have had a disco and the misses a Freelander, on the Freelander I blanked off the EGR valve so whats the best option here.

Do I use cleaner to give it a good clean?
Do I get the EGR valves turned off?
Do I get it blanked?

How can I tell what condition the turbo's are in as well as the valves?

Regards

Post #373288 20th Feb 2016 5:46pm
miggit

United Kingdom 

Well it's good to hear that your not totally new to Land Rover ownership Thumbs Up

I'm probably not the best person to ask as I know very little about these engines, but, from what I have picked up, there are cleaners that improve the operation of the EGR system. You can have them removed, but they need to be mapped out of the ECU, otherwise the car will throw a paddy and go in to limp mode and sulk.

I would imagine that you may well know more about it than me, as the TDV8 is the same as the TDV6 with 2 more cylinders, but all the bits that block and go pop are the same.

If it's possible to turn them off then this may well be the best route, as I believe that they are starting to look at them for the MOT, so if it's all there I can't see there being a problem. Now assuming that you can turn them off, and leave them in the Blanked state, a good clean of the system should be all that's required.... I did read about a system like Terraclean, but it was put through the induction system instead of the fuel, and I can't for the life of me find the thread or the name Evil or Very Mad and mine could do with the induction side cleaned Censored Censored Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

As far as the Turbo's are concerned, 99% of all failures are down to blocked / failed EGR valves and failed pipe work, which can be sorted with a set of silicon pipes. So unless your new beasty is showing excessively high mileage, I wouldn't be too worried about that. There just appears to be a lot of EGR failures around the 80K+ mark. Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!

Post #373292 20th Feb 2016 6:09pm
miggit

United Kingdom 

This mob seam to know their stuff when it comes to EGR's and TDV6/8's

http://bellautoservices.co.uk/ Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!

Post #373294 20th Feb 2016 6:17pm
Road Stone

Australia 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Java Black

Hi,
Apologies on the slow response, we had our elections here last Thursday and all social media and alike was shut down!

Here some pics of the DVD head rests, you can get them in beige too!!!

2 independent 9 inch screens

Can be coupled. IR Headphones or through FM or loud speaker.

Plays DVD Flash Drive or SD Card.

I have soldred the power source to one of the power points in the back and again, all wiring connections hidden behind the scuff plate. Comes with remote controls too for DVD operation and games playing.

Cheers, Jerry

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Post #373514 22nd Feb 2016 9:05am
Dijit

Scotland 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Java Black

miggit wrote:
Clean the EGR valves or get them bypassed Thumbs Up

Am not aware that you can bypass the EGR valves in a 3.6 or 4.4 TDV8. Can anyone put me right please? Rehab is for quitters!!!

RR 2007 3.6 TDV8 Java Black
RR 2007 3.6 TDV8 Zermatt silver
RR 2000 P38 4.6 Met red
Mercedes 300TE 4-Matic
Nissan 300Z
Citroen XM 2.5TD X 6
Bentley Continental R
Hydrocon Highlander
Hydrocon Hamilton
Hydrocon Huntly
The restoration of the last three will account for my time during retirement!

Departed
LR 1992 110 2.5TD
RR 2000 Holland & Holland 4.6 LPG
RR 4.2 Supercharged with LPG, Vogue SE 2007 Buckingham Blue
RR 2002 4.4 V8 Zambesi Silver

Post #373953 24th Feb 2016 6:14pm
northernmonkeyjones

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

you can't blank the EGRs in the 3.6 but you can map them out so they stay put.

not sure on the 4.4 There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜
FFRR 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography Santorini Black.
Fiat 500x 1.4 multiair Lounge 2015
2010 LR D4 Commercial 2.7 TDV6

Post #373963 24th Feb 2016 7:07pm
kingpleb

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Bonatti Grey

RE the Bluetooth update for the old nokia module.
Dont bother! just spend the money and get the newer module from the Disc4/RRS/Later model rangies.

Its circa £170 and much better value for money IMO than getting a software update to a unit that is already 15years old in reality Smile FFRR MY06 facelift With TDV8 Alloys Zeros/ATR's
Mantec Sump Guard, Rigid Load liner, MY10 BT upgrade.

Post #374090 25th Feb 2016 1:19pm
Realist

Wales 

Quote:
RE the Bluetooth update for the old nokia module.
Dont bother! just spend the money and get the newer module from the Disc4/RRS/Later model rangies.

Its circa £170 and much better value for money IMO than getting a software update to a unit that is already 15years old in reality Smile

To be honest I did the same, found one on Ebay for £110 and used that and it works a treat.

Post #375164 1st Mar 2016 8:27pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>