Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > RR vs X5 - same engines, different maps?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
mat777

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Giverny Green
RR vs X5 - same engines, different maps?

Hi all,

Done a bit of digging but cannot seem to find anything to confirm this either way. I was told by a mate that when the L322 was new out, BMW naturally wanted to knobble it slightly compared to their own X5, and as a result the RRs all had slightly detuned ECU maps compared to an X5 with the same engine.
Is there any truth in this? Some websites quote them both as producing 290BHP, but others say the BMW has 320.
If the maps are different, could it be because the heavier RR is tuned for more torque over the lighter more "sporty" X5? NW060

"Red Shed" - 1982 Series 3 88" County Station Wagon
"Spirit of Great Britain" - Rolls Royce Meteor V12 engine
ZG875 - Westland Sea King (cockpit section)
"Carly Rae Jeepsen" - 2006 Jeep Commander 5.7 Hemi

"Pride Of The Road" - 1/4-scale Marshall traction engine - sold
"Georgina" - 2000 Discovery 2 TD5 ES - sold
"Windsor" - 2005 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 - dead

Post #329808 28th May 2015 4:29pm
Haylands

England 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

At about the time the L322 came out there was a voluntary agreement between manufacturers that they wouldn't go above 300BHP, hence the FF is quoted at just below that, in truth all that were tested were around 320bhp...

Just a case of them massaging the numbers... You can get them chipped which will give you another 20bhp or so but it will all be at the top end so not much use in everyday driving...

I'm going to have mine chipped soon as a mate has just become a dealer and they are sorting a map to make the most of the 105 octane that LPG is... Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold
-Click for Project Fatty off roader-

Post #329814 28th May 2015 5:05pm
Zirconblue

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Cairns Blue
Re: RR vs X5 - same engines, different maps?

mat777 wrote:

If the maps are different, could it be because the heavier RR is tuned for more torque over the lighter more "sporty" X5?

Land-Rover used to detune previous BMW engines, because they were indeed more geared up for pulling heavy loads and off roading.
The X5 was never really intended for that, so it may well be true that X5's have more horse power, but less low down grunt. It's not really about them being nobbled, which is likely just bulls*** from someone who owns and X5 and want's to make out he has a better car, but more about being suited to their intended purpose.

It's also unlikely BMW would want to place restrictions on someone buying their engines, after all they want to keep selling their engines, they make money on them the same as they do cars. In fact when they sold off the Rover group one of the parts they kept hold of for another 4 years was Powertrain Ltd, who built the K-series and L-Series engines. The only reason Land-Rover went to their own power units is it's cheaper to build them in house when they already have a perfectly suitable unit in production.
The switched Diesel suppliers, because their then parent had an agreement with PSA to co-develop diesel technology. PSA are renown for their HDi technology, which next to VW's TDI are the best small diesel engines out there.

Post #329827 28th May 2015 5:58pm
kingpleb

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Bonatti Grey

Personally i would put a PSA HDi at the top of the table Very Happy

If PSA had been let loose with designing the V6 and V8 engines they would be much better units IMO Very Happy Very Happy FFRR MY06 facelift With TDV8 Alloys Zeros/ATR's
Mantec Sump Guard, Rigid Load liner, MY10 BT upgrade.

Post #329834 28th May 2015 7:02pm
DannyH

England 2002 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Zambezi Silver

Pete can your mate tune it so we get 50 to a gallon please? Dan

2002 Zambezi Silver

Men And Motors RR Quote - It's like having wheels fitted to your living room!

Post #329836 28th May 2015 7:22pm
Haylands

England 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

I was hoping for 75.... Rolling with laughter Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold
-Click for Project Fatty off roader-

Post #329842 28th May 2015 7:51pm
Philip

2019 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aintree Green

Haylands wrote:
At about the time the L322 came out there was a voluntary agreement between manufacturers that they wouldn't go above 300BHP, hence the FF is quoted at just below that, in truth all that were tested were around 320bhp...

That was the so-called "gentleman's agreement" in Japan that led to nothing domestically-produced being advertised as having more than 276bhp (even if it did).

Post #329845 28th May 2015 7:53pm
kingpleb

The only time an l322 will get 75mpg is when it's owner uses the heavily used yellow card on it 😄😄😄 FFRR MY06 facelift With TDV8 Alloys Zeros/ATR's

Post #329849 28th May 2015 8:13pm
kingpleb

That's not cheap, requires the fitment of an electric motor and a genset in the boot lol FFRR MY06 facelift With TDV8 Alloys Zeros/ATR's

Post #329850 28th May 2015 8:14pm
Zirconblue

kingpleb wrote:
Personally i would put a PSA HDi at the top of the table Very Happy

If PSA had been let loose with designing the V6 and V8 engines they would be much better units IMO Very Happy Very Happy

Well i think the 2.7 V6 was largely PSA anyway, intended for their Citroen C6. I think the 3ltr upgrade was at the behest of JLR. Because the C6 is a rare beast indeed.

The V8 was basically ford/JLR led.

However PSA do seem to have a history of releasing some engines too early. The 2.2 DW12 wasn't that powerful or economical in it's first release, Which is why the X-Type got the Ford diesels. but it's second incarnation (Found in the XF, Newer Mondeo's, and the current Defender) it's a sorted lump giving astonishing power outputs an economy! The same goes for the TDV6, the 3ltr is much better than the 2.7.

VW TDI's are good, but a little more noisy and they all seem to smoke when they get old, it's rare to see a Citroen/Peugeot chucking out black smoke.

Post #329851 28th May 2015 8:16pm
Zirconblue

kingpleb wrote:
That's not cheap, requires the fitment of an electric motor and a genset in the boot lol

Actually, are you going about this the right way. I mean could you fit a winch and battery on the boat? Laughing

Post #329852 28th May 2015 8:17pm
Zirconblue

kingpleb wrote:
The only time an l322 will get 75mpg is when it's owner uses the heavily used yellow card on it 😄😄😄

You mean the AA have lorries that do 75mpg?! I'm going to look at getting one of those Renault/Volvo truck engines put in my car! Laughing

Post #329855 28th May 2015 8:31pm
Philip

2019 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aintree Green

Zirconblue wrote:

Well i think the 2.7 V6 was largely PSA anyway, intended for their Citroen C6. I think the 3ltr upgrade was at the behest of JLR. Because the C6 is a rare beast indeed.

The V8 was basically ford/JLR led

Same engine family (Duratorq Lion), developed and built (V6 in Dagenham, V8 now in Mexico) by Ford.

Post #329881 29th May 2015 12:21am
Zirconblue

Agreed they're the same family, though as PSA were intending to use the V6 in their own products, it's reasonable to assume they had a little more say in how it would turn out, than the V8 which was only really intended for LR and some international Ford models. As it was all PSA technology i still think PSA would have taken the lead on that one. PSA/Ford engines are a joint venture, PSA will have people at Dagenham, just like Ford will have people at where ever PSA's engine development centre is in France. You can't really say "that one was ford and that one was PSA", because from about 2000 onwards they're all jointly developed, but there will always be a dominant party and for the V6 i think that would have been PSA. The last 'Ford' diesel i can think of is the ZSD Puma engine, used in the Transit, X-type, TX-2 and Ducato/Relay/Boxer.

Where they're built and who by doesn't really matter in relation to where they're developed, Dagenham build engines for Ford as well as PSA (who used to supply them to BMW for the mini at Oxford as well as JLR). You can buy Citroens with Dagenham built engines and Fords with French (Metz i think) built engines, they use the capacity where ever it's available on the 4 pot DW engines.

(i didn't even have to wikipedia any of that....)

Post #329882 29th May 2015 1:07am
kingpleb

Ford are the dominant party as PSA don't exactly use massive numbers of the engines like jlr and ford do.

The psa version of the engine was slightly different as well as it only ever came with the twin turbo setup as well as being mounted transversely so needing that tweaking to work. FFRR MY06 facelift With TDV8 Alloys Zeros/ATR's

Post #329887 29th May 2015 4:40am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>