Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > In Car Electronics (L322) > Speaker Question 2005 SC
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
paulst

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Bonatti Grey
Speaker Question 2005 SC

Hi, I have a 2005 Supercharged RR and getting some distortion from the rear lower door speaker. I suspect damage and going to replace it. After looking online I still can't find an answer to my question on fitting an aftermarket speaker.

Can the rear door speakers be replaced with aftermarket speaker just bolt in? If so I was thinking of 2 options -
1 An all in one speaker like - http://caraudiosecurity.com/jl-c2-650x-16-5cm-speakers
2 A component set and just use the mid bass like these - http://caraudiosecurity.com/reference-6500...components

I realise may need to get some speaker adapters but just wondering if anyone has done this and can I use the current wiring and presume there is a crossover in the factory amp already running that should be fine? I don't intend to change the rest of the speakers (unless there is any benefit). Also, are these a reasonable like for like as I can find very little on the Hardon Kardon kit?

Thanks

Post #301645 29th Dec 2014 4:58pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

any OE ones on ebay? ... - .- -.

Y. O. L. O.

Post #301675 29th Dec 2014 8:09pm
vaz

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Java Black

You could most likely use a non Land Rover unit as long as it is the same size and mounting type. If the holes don't match up where they screw to the door, you could drill some new holes. Just be careful that the swarf doesn't get near the coil assembly. I would use OE ones though.
If the speakers are anything like the door speakers on the P38 we had, they are not very well built.
The magnet assembly was glued to the frame of the speaker. After 10 years, the glue seemed to lose its stickiness, thus they developed a scratchy sound with the coil rubbing against the magnet after it moved. That was Harman Kardon stuff as well, but with a land Rover sticker attached to the rear of the magnet. Whistle

Steve. 1968 Series IIA Pastel Green, nearly there project

Post #301691 29th Dec 2014 9:27pm
paulst

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Bonatti Grey

My concern with eBay and OE is having seen how the surrounds on the subs deteriorate and some of the examples on ebay, they don't look particularly well built speakers and think half of them are probably on the last legs! A lot tend to have cheap paper cones and although I think the sound is really good that comes from them, the build quality looks poor. Hence the reason for replacing with something a little better built.

Since posting I have continued the research and found adapters in the US for about $15 that should allow me to hopefully fit alternatives that maintain the sound quality with build quality to match. Think Ill give it a go if I can get the adapter plates.

Post #301837 30th Dec 2014 4:15pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1