Home > General > Engine Life ???
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Ianmaney

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Mariana Black
Engine Life ???

Hi folks,

Ive been a lurker, time to start asking stupid questions..........

Right then, in the next couple of weeks im buying a TD6 Vogue, i can afford up to poss 05MY and some of these come with huge mileages, now before i get shouted at, i know its all down to service history and the way its been treated, its your experience with this engine im looking for so here goes the question.................whats the life expectancy of these engines and gearboxes, am i safe with 150k but full service history etc?

Thanks in advance..........

Ian

Post #277427 25th Aug 2014 8:40pm
RR2008HSE

Canada 2008 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Java Black

I don't know that specific engine, but it's mechanical, so if you keep replacing/repairing worn pieces, it should still going. At that age and mileage, I'd recommend a thorough inspection by a knowledgeable mechanic familiar with the car and engine. JLR should have service schedules for all major components which will give an idea as to their lifespans.

At that age and mileage, it will probably need more than a 2014 will need spent on it, but it's MUCH cheaper to start with.

I know you've probably already done your research, but I'll just remind you: the 03-04 entertainment system is often updated with newer BMW bits. The MY05 doesn't allow this but doesn't have all the abilities of the MY06+ cars. If you're not bothered with that sort if thing, don't worry. Good luck & welcome. Thumbs Up

Post #277433 25th Aug 2014 9:12pm
iphs

England 2003 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Buckingham Blue

Hi Ian,

First thing to say is a full service history should not be relied upon. They can be knocked up in no time at all by any dodgey seller. If there is a service record with the vehicle, take down the telephone numbers and ring the dealers/garages that have serviced the vehicle. if it is genuine they should have a record of the service.

Be aware that not all dealers, main or indies are reliable. there are many out there who will charge you a small fortune and do naff all for it.

I am more impressed by a private seller who has owned the vehicle for a number of years and has kept a record and reciepts for any work he has had done. Even if he has serviced it himself and can document it.

My opinion, but based on experience.

Post #277435 25th Aug 2014 9:15pm
SKOT

England 2006 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Bonatti Grey

The TD6 engine is great. Been used in many applications and whilst less power, doesn't suffer the catastrophic issues that the 3.6 TDV8 is beginning to demonstrate. It's too early to comment on the 4.4TDV8.

That's the good news! Thumbs Up

The bad news is that the GM gearbox is made from cream cheese and will require replacement as regularly as you change your under pants.

Other than that, good car. I enjoyed my TD6!

Lots on the forum which if you're a lurker, you will have seen. 2006 4.2 SC
2019 Renault Zoe Dynamique Nav

Post #277436 25th Aug 2014 9:17pm
KurtVerbose

Switzerland 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

I've a TD6 with 200,000 km (125k miles). The engine seems fine, but it's had new injectors and glow plugs. Compression seems excellent as it started (just) in -8°C when the glow plugs weren't working. There are plenty of examples of this engine clocking up huge mileages.

The gearbox is more a weak link with these cars, mine's on its second.

Also, they are heavy, complex cars. Even though the engine might be quite happy dragging the car around for a huge of miles, other things will need maintenance. Mine's had - rad, compressor, steering rack, air con as well as servicables like brakes etc.

They are not cheap cars to run!

Post #277438 25th Aug 2014 9:23pm
pld118

Scotland 2014 Range Rover Vogue SDV6 Santorini Black

Welcome Ian,

Daft questions only if you know the answers!

The TD6, as a BMW engine, by many accounts, is relatively straightforward to work on.

4 relevant threads that might be of interest to you if not already seen.

Just type in the forum search engine, key words like TD6 BMW High mileage etc...

Much of the information in the posts highlighted are supportive of the theories that condition is king, well maintained and properly used cars can all be good purchases... and there are reports of high miler TD6's going strong at 300k miles!

Thumbs Up

http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic13586....igh+milage

http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic18458....bmw+engine

http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic24028....p;start=15

http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic26293....ge+mileage

Post #277439 25th Aug 2014 9:26pm
ibb1

United Kingdom 

The engine in the TD6 is very strong and reliable, although it's underpowered in the Range Rover, it could do with another 40 BHP, these engines are easily good for 250k+ it's the gearboxes in them that are the weak points, they tend to fail at about 100k Miles, if the previous owners have done preventative gearbox oil and filter changes it may be ok or could still fail anyway!!.

I've recently moved from a TD6 to a 4.4 V8 with LPG and don't regret it at all, smoother,quieter,much more powerful and it actually works out slightly cheaper to run fuel wise, the 4.4 engine is very robust likewise the ZF gearbox in it is too as long as you do gearbox oil and filter changes on it every 50k or so.
I wouldn't rule one out unless you don't have any petrol stations which sell LPG near you.

Post #277446 25th Aug 2014 10:18pm
Dolphinboy

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Atacama Sand

ibb1 talks lot of sense!! Thumbs Up

Go for a good Petrol LPG V8. My 2004 has nearly 170,000 miles and no probs with engine or gearbox or LPG system. I recently had the gearbox serviced by Cam tech Craig adn this was done by the last 2 owners as well, so it should be good for 200,000 miles min.

I get 28-29 mpg avge or over 30 on a motorway whereas my superb 2002 TD6 (never a problem in 3 years of ownership however) only ever returned 28 mpg at its best. Avge was 25.

Best is the sound and the drive on the petrol V8 though. Bow down

Post #277503 26th Aug 2014 10:30am
mjdronfield

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Buckingham Blue

.......unless of course you take the view that adding LPG makes an already complicated car even more complicated.......

Whistle

128k in my TD6, doesn't use any oil or water..........

Can be tweaked to 220 bhp......... and another 100 torques.........

Thumbs Up 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 TDV8

Previous cars :
2003 Range Rover Vogue TD6
1999 Discovery Td5 ES
1995 BMW M5 3.8 6 speed
1992 Range Rover 3.9 Efi Vogue
1992 BMW M5 3.8
1988 BMW 735i SE
1989 Ford Sierra XR4x4 2.9i
1981 Ford Fiesta Supersport

Post #277514 26th Aug 2014 11:31am
Dolphinboy

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Atacama Sand

@ MJD
Take your point. My TD6 was awesome adn faultless but it was my first one so was easily impressed. But the V8 petrol makes me smile even more! Nothing complicated re LPG as far as I can see. LPG has been on it for over 5 years now and runs without any issue whatsoever.

@OP FLRSH is not worth the paper written on IMHO. Never had any decent service from any of them adn been the subject of attempted rip-off. Indies however are a boon when they are good.

As said above, look for regular servicing and receipts, doesn't matter where from! Also High mileage is not a problem in itself, if it has been looked after. low lineage can mean worn parts etc.

Post #277551 26th Aug 2014 3:25pm
Ianmaney

Thanks for all the replies fellas, im looking at a few this week so will let you know what happens .....

Post #277635 27th Aug 2014 5:53am
Discotigger

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Orkney Grey

I would agree that mileage is not an issue, make sure the service history is comprehensive and kosher. I got my MY2005 TD6 a year and a half ago...with 151,000 miles on the clock, full and extensive service history, confirmed by a few phone calls to the indy company that had done the last eight services.
However, for peace of mind the first thing I did was have it serviced at my local indy and got the gearbox oil and filter done. Barring little niggles (a bit of vibration through the wheel and seat, which I'm hopefully getting sorted this weekend after extensive investigations!!), my FF is now on 199,000 miles, going as good as the day she rolled off the factory assembly line.
They are the BEST vehicles to drive (bar none) and even now she still brings a smile to my face every time I get in her for a drive.

Post #277639 27th Aug 2014 7:36am
ibb1

United Kingdom 

I think the main thing if someone does go for an LPG one is to make sure it's a good system from a good installer, really, other than minimal annual maintenance services LPG shouldn't be a problem for a BMW engined 4.4.
I had a TD6 and was happy enough with it, there's nothing wrong with it, my only complaint was I did find it a bit underpowered in some situations.

Post #277650 27th Aug 2014 8:55am
steptoe

England 

mjdronfield wrote:
.......unless of course you take the view that adding LPG makes an already complicated car even more complicated.......

Whistle

The usual quote from from people who've never owned an LPG vehicle. Mr. Green

Post #277712 27th Aug 2014 2:16pm
Ianmaney

Unfortunately, im changing from a V8 Discovery 2 with LPG and although i absolutely love the car, i hate the LPG side of it, however, i think i just got a bad one, it runs like a swiss watch on both fuels but the tanks are small and theres a leak, took it to get the LPG side serviced last week and had the tanks condemmed, £400-500 for new tanks, also, LPG filling stations are few and far between, then theres the trouble of planning trips with LPG service stations en-route and only being able to use BP as we have Bp fuel cards for the business, it really is more trouble than its worth to be honest..................im going to miss that V8 burble though !!!!!!!

Post #277743 27th Aug 2014 5:47pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>