Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General (L405) > l405 LED headlights - Are they too skimpy?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
pld118

Scotland 2014 Range Rover Vogue SDV6 Santorini Black
l405 LED headlights - Are they too skimpy?

Very much a fan of the L405 looks but one was behind me this morning and not for the first time, both from distance and close up I kept looking at the headlights wondering if the LED look a bit 'thin', 'skinny' and 'skimpy' of light strip, more like some aftermarket bling that people mod cars with when compared to say what to me always look more in proportion, more substantial and 'the real deal' LED such as those in Audi headlight units or latest model Jaguars, for example.

Not an affront to the L405 which I think is actually very classy looking compared with a lot of views being banded about.

To the forum!

Thumbs Up

Last edited by pld118 on 4th Jun 2014 9:18am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #263106 4th Jun 2014 8:35am
axle

Australia 2008 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Rimini Red

Personally I cant stand bloody fairy lights , and i know what you mean the the L405 lights do seam to be a bit half cocked and the last of the L322 were too dim as well . 2008 MY Supercharged
Rimini Red / Jet
four zone climate
remote park heater
and no ugly kid windows.
magnus satis quod turpis satis

Post #263118 4th Jun 2014 8:53am
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

its a big car and you expect big lights not the small ones the l405 has...but then could it be that audi and jaguar have gone on overkill on their drls... ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #263138 4th Jun 2014 10:05am
Prop

United Kingdom 

Axle, if I lived in sunny Perth then I would not have bothered with LED daytime lights on my car. But living in the UK our day time light level is much lower especially in the winter. For this reason I see LED running lights as a major safety factor rather than a fashion statement. To me they are not a decoration to the car but a method of other cars and pedestrian's being able to see my car coming.

I agree with you that the later L322's had LED lights that were way too dim. I fitted bright LED running lights to my 2007 L322 and have been extremely happy with the result.

Post #263144 4th Jun 2014 10:44am
paulmoran2

England 2013 Range Rover Vogue SDV8 Mariana Black

I'm sure the multiple LR focus groups tasked to critique the aesthetics came up with that set up as the best compromise...As with all things, some will love them, some will hate them but the majority will accept and be happy with the overall package...Anybody unhappy with their 405 lighting should feel free to donate their unwanted car to me Thumbs Up ...I would love one.

Ps IMHO..the head units look just right, especially the engraved lettering / lens detailing Thumbs Up GONE 2010 Facelifted 3.6 TDV8 - Stornoway Grey + 22" Overfinch Olympus
HAVE 1999 Discovery 2 GS 4.0 V8 - Silver - Off Road Toy
GONE 2013 L405 4.4 SDV8 Vogue. Black with Silver roofline and 22" s
HAVE 2015 Jaguar XF.

Post #263145 4th Jun 2014 10:47am
Philip

2019 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aintree Green

Prop wrote:
But living in the UK our day time light level is much lower especially in the winter. For this reason I see LED running lights as a major safety factor rather than a fashion statement. To me they are not a decoration to the car but a method of other cars and pedestrian's being able to see my car coming

Do your dipped beams not work?

Post #263148 4th Jun 2014 11:06am
pld118

Scotland 2014 Range Rover Vogue SDV6 Santorini Black

That's it, it's all about opinion. Prop's halo rings look great and correctly proportioned. I think the Q7 and Jag ones also look correctly proportioned though doubtless the Jag ones are on big big looking lights.

Post #263153 4th Jun 2014 11:24am
mzplcg

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey

I think they look too small for headlights and there's way too much of this LED DRL stuff, especially on Audi's as noted above.

Having grown up in the 70's I still see DRLs as being the territory of the Volvo 240. Really don't like them at all. Sadly now they are law under the ever increasing burden of EU regulation but nobody saw fit to limit the amount or brightness so we now have multiple interpretations of Blackpool illuminations on the roads. Bling everywhere and bling=cheap I'm afraid.

Thankfully the L405 I think has escaped the levels of extremism which we currently associate with Audi and Citroen in the DRL department although I would still try and load the software for a region which doesn't have DRL so they weren't on all the time. I tend to think we have the headlight switch for those times when lights are required. Whistle

Post #263156 4th Jun 2014 11:42am
Prop

United Kingdom 

Dipped beams work perfectly thanks.

But as you know these are focused to cut off a small distance in front of the car and while visible from a distance they do not have the visibility of my daytime running LED,s.

I noticed that when approaching junctions etc. oncoming cars fitted with good quality LED daytime lights are much more visible than cars with dipped beams on, and I guess this is due to the fact that daytime running LED units disperse light in a non focused and much wider pattern, rather than the dipped beam method that is focused to produce a very bright pattern of light towards the ground in front of the vehicle.

Another couple of good thing using LED's rather than dipped beam all the time during the day. LED's have a much lower power consumption and LED's have a much longer life than HID units in terms of running hours.

All new vehicles sold in the EU now have daytime running lights separate from dipped beam, whether they are LED or incandescent bulbs. This is not for decoration but a mandatory requirement which I for one can see and agree is an added safety feature.

Post #263158 4th Jun 2014 11:44am
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

well said prop.. Thumbs Up ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #263161 4th Jun 2014 11:50am
JOKER

Scotland 

So why do new cars have daylight running lights at the front and not at the rear also , as there are more accidents of people running into the back of vehicles .... ====================================

"Open Mike Night " sounded like a lot of fun until i found out i was going to an Autopsy

Post #263162 4th Jun 2014 11:58am
Prop

United Kingdom 

If daytime running lights save the lives of a few kids or other pedestrians like pensioners by making my car more visible, and helping them avoid walking in front of my car due to being bright then I for one am fine with that.

If it also means that when I am approaching a junction the cars waiting at that junction see me that much more easily while there kids are distracting them in the back of the car or they are distracted by other things, then again I am all for daytime lights.

I for one chose to fit day time LED's to my car to help improve the safety side of things as I have 2 kids, and if it adds the smallest bit of safety to transporting them in the car then I am all for it.

I am more than happy for them to be mandatory as they are now. This is obviously my preference and choice, but it would appear its also been considered as worthwhile to be fitted as standard to all new cars so there must be some logic to it other than the common sense of knowing that more visibility is a good thing.

Post #263165 4th Jun 2014 12:05pm
Prop

United Kingdom 

Joker, I guess its due to pedestrians getting hit more by the front of vehicles than the back. Laughing

Post #263166 4th Jun 2014 12:07pm
Philip

2019 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aintree Green

The regulations exist because the Eurocrats think the little people can't be trusted to turn their lights on.

Daytime running lights:

The justification - These lights are a lifesaver. The safety of others is absolutely my priority (and won't somebody think of the children!). To this end, I fit untested, non-type-approved fairy lights all over my car and only ever drive vehicles with the highest-possible NCAP pedestrian safety scores.

The reality - Look at me in my flashy car! Look at my sparkly, twinkly lights! Look at me! LOOK AT ME!

Maybe.

Must admit that I find lots of LED DRLs distractingly bright and glaring, and there's an argument that they make cars more visible at the expense of more vulnerable road users. Maybe we should campaign for their compulsory fitment to bikes, pedestrians, pushchairs, dogs etc.

Post #263168 4th Jun 2014 12:15pm
JOKER

Scotland 

Prop wrote:
Joker, I guess its due to pedestrians getting hit more by the front of vehicles than the back. Laughing

Forgot about them ..... Whistle Whistle As they are very rare where I stay as everyone and their granny has a car .... Laughing ====================================

"Open Mike Night " sounded like a lot of fun until i found out i was going to an Autopsy

Post #263169 4th Jun 2014 12:25pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>