Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General > Have you tried the rotary Knob gear stick?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
JOKER

Scotland 

Better not add my 2p worth then Laughing ====================================

"Open Mike Night " sounded like a lot of fun until i found out i was going to an Autopsy

Post #254146 12th Apr 2014 11:12pm
pld118

Scotland 2014 Range Rover Vogue SDV6 Santorini Black
2011MY

We'll... I would have to think twice about buying a car without any form of gearstick.

Maybe I'm getting old... and maybe that means the newest RR I'll ever own is a 2010MY because the rotating dial, gear lever replacing, 8-speed auto transmission was on the 2011MY onwards.

Wink

Post #254155 13th Apr 2014 7:51am
Vogue

United Kingdom 

Mine has the dially knob, I also have other Range Rovers with the stick. You get used to the dial and actually like it as there is more usable space in the car and the stick gets in the way - especially when you may have a lady friend in the vehicle!

I do like a stick though and can use it better than flappy paddles. Paddles are ok when driving straight ahead and on slight bends, but are virtually impossible to use on tight bends when you want to drop a cog to floor it out of an S bend to overtake the Porker which is holding the traffic up.

I usually just leave it in Sport mode which does virtually the same thing as Flaps.

Last edited by Vogue on 13th Apr 2014 9:09am. Edited 2 times in total

Post #254157 13th Apr 2014 9:00am
pld118

The Q7 had the steering mounted paddles and you're right Vogue, when the steering wheel is "a turning" to any notable degree, the paddles don't stay with you, rendering gear changes nigh impossible and bordering on the dangerous if you try.

Post #254158 13th Apr 2014 9:06am
AMD

United Kingdom 

pld118 wrote:
@AMD - that looks like an aircraft cockpit! ... Shocked

Porsche go on the basis of one button for a single operation, hence why there are so many. The quality is extremely good. I like the array of buttons near the rear view mirror on the underside of the roof.

I know the Cayenne isn't for everyone and I have reservations about its looks, but in terms of quality, engineering and power, it really is good. I can't comment on it's off road ability as it is a motorway car, but I know it would never compete with a LR.

Current MY2020
Gone: 1 x L405 and 2 x L322's

Post #254159 13th Apr 2014 9:16am
Emperor Mong

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Autobiography 2.0 PHEV Loire Blue

I went from a 4.2sc to a 4.4tdv8. I really dislike the rotary controller. Pointless piece of design. Form over function.

I prefer the button arrangement in the Aston. Clears the transmission tunnel and has immediate positional sense. Paddles then control grew selection.

Post #254162 13th Apr 2014 9:31am
pld118

I think that/ a well spec'd Cayenne is - as some say - "We'll smart!" Thumbs Up

Post #254163 13th Apr 2014 9:40am
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

I don't like the rotary coupler... I heard murmurs JLR may bring the SSRR SC (aircraft looking gear knob) in across the range Whistle

Time will tell... Whistle But a move forward i think... Thumbs Up

Post #254168 13th Apr 2014 10:44am
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

AMD wrote:
pld118 wrote:
@AMD - that looks like an aircraft cockpit! ... Shocked

I liked the first Cayenne as it was so goofy looking IMHO it was cool (a little like the old G wagon). But,,,,,,,,,,,,, there is just something a little too Japanese about that bum on the new model... Confused Im sorry sir Bow down

I really really wanted to love it... I did... (as if i didn't work on FF's as a business i think i would have bought a Cayenne years ago) Thumbs Up

Post #254175 13th Apr 2014 10:49am
AMD

United Kingdom 

Craig, I totally get what you are saying, I'd rather have an L405 (with a stick) just waiting for 'previously owned' to drop a little and I'll have one for this autumn if all goes well.

The Emperor is quite right, the dial is form over function, it is too easy to turn it too far and engage neutral. The best stick I've used (we are talking cars Rolling Eyes ) was the manual Aston DBS, according to the other half it was like having a transformers c Censored k in her hand. I didn't ask how she knew! Current MY2020
Gone: 1 x L405 and 2 x L322's

Last edited by AMD on 15th Apr 2014 9:57am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #254346 14th Apr 2014 9:13am
Benfelrr

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Tonga Green

must admit to thinking the 1990 to 1993 classic auto gear selector was perfect in look feel and height etc. Not so good looking in the soft dash ones. Can remember what pre 1990 autos looked like. Prob the same. 2011 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 TDV8
2003 VW Golf V6 4motion
2001 Range Rover Vogue 4.6
1982 Range Rover in VOGUE
1990 Range Rover Vogue SE
2007 Audi A6 Avant Le Mans Quattro S-Line 3.0 TDI
2007 Skoda Ovtavia 2.0 TDI L&K
2007 GSX-R 750 K7

Post #254349 14th Apr 2014 9:32am
ebajema

New Zealand 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Galway Green

I like it that JLR tried to do something interesting and I don't think I would have any problem with the rotary controller. An alternative to "cleaning" the tunnel can be a lever/slide that is flush with the tunnel but still gives the positive feel of the sticks. That way you can have a flat tunnel and still have the stick movement.

Technically there is no reason for the stick as it can all be done with electrics. So buttons, rotary controllers, sticks, ships telegraph or touch screen anything can be made to work. The trick is how reliable can you make it and what other functions do you want to do with it ?? Creating room on the tunnel is a good argument for buttons, the rotary controller doesn't make a lot of difference I'd say, it still takes up space it just looks "cleaner" when it is in low mode.

It is amazing how little innovation is happening in that field, maybe it is the fear that people will not buy the car when it gets too "weird" or maybe it is rules and regulations or safety.

Saab was developing a joystick driven car, no more steering wheel. I would have loved to try that (on a closed course for a while) but I can see the drawbacks and the positive side of that. Pity they couldn't get it to market !!

I like it that JLR tried something different, it looks quite cool IMHO just a pity they don't always work properly (one post on here about that). At least they try and be different and yes form over function but it still works (most of the time).

I believe that JLR are doing very well pushing the envelope again and making cars that are a lot more appealing to me and a lot of other people. Now I am not a big fan of the L405, I still like the L322 more and I still like it how JLR is innovating and developing and making nice and better cars. There is of course room for improvement but at least they are making desirable cars (F-type, XF, L405, L322 etc.) And although the JLR products are not leading the reliability rankings just yet, they are getting better and better and kicking some Japanese and German butt big time while they are at it.

Let us be fair, they are still making the number one 4x4 in the world and even the L405 will remain king on the mountain for quite some time I reckon.

Sorry for the longwinded reply, I just wanted to get this of my chest Smile MY 2010 5.0 SC Galway green and sand interior!!
Have the Faultmate MSV2 Extreme to be tinkering with the settings etc. !!

Post #254391 14th Apr 2014 1:46pm
campaj1

United Kingdom 

Always been a fan of the Rolls Gear selector.
Wouldn't mind the gorgeous Phantom Steering Wheel too! Reminiscent of S1 Landy Wheel!

π

Post #254406 14th Apr 2014 3:28pm
verydisco

United Kingdom 2002 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Tangiers Orange

Cam-Tech-Craig wrote:

I liked the first Cayenne as it was so goofy looking IMHO it was cool (a little like the old G wagon). But,,,,,,,,,,,,, there is just something a little too Japanese about that bum on the new model... Confused Im sorry sir Bow down

I really really wanted to love it... I did... (as if i didn't work on FF's as a business i think i would have bought a Cayenne years ago) Thumbs Up

Do not like them; FACT : put a Hyundai or Ssangyong badge on it and no one will even look at them twice! Rolling Eyes l=Oo\________/oO=l l:OolΞΞΞΞΞΞΞloO:l

Current
RANGE ROVER Vogue 4.4L SDV8 - 2013 - Indus Silver, on Almond.
RANGE ROVER Vogue 4.4L V8 - 2002 - ex-2003 G4 Challenge Event Vehicle, Stage 3: Australia
RANGE ROVER HSE 4.4L V8 - 2004 - one-of-one Overfinch
RANGE ROVER P38a 4.0L V8 - 1999 - ex-2000 TReK Event Vehicle: South Africa

Previous:
RANGE ROVER Vogue 4.4L TDV8 - 2012 - RANGE ROVER 3.6L TDV8 x3 - RANGE ROVER Td6 x1 - RANGE ROVER Classic 3.5L V8 x1

Post #254412 14th Apr 2014 3:58pm
pld118

Back to the OP re the dial turn auto gears... 5 days in with the Jag XF and I get Joker's point now... My own pref would be a traditional style gearstick but... I'm getting used to it.

Although I don't yet trust it without double checking before parking or moving off... So as to make sure it's not going to catch me out and shoot backwards of forwards into a solid object.

Post #254414 14th Apr 2014 4:24pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>