Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Captain Slog

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Java Black
Two issues and a question

Problem 1:

Touch screen

All of a sudden the touch screen and associated functions have stopped working. The screen does not come on when I start the car. The LED on the on/off switch is also not illuminated. I have discovered that if I briefly remove and re-insert fuse 49 (installed fuse is 15A manual says 30A) the system comes back to life and remains OK for around five days until it fails again and I have to pull the fuse again. When the system is dead I still get trip computer information on the message centre screen. I wonder if I have a bad connection at the fuse or in the area of the screen, or a faulty relay (I don't know if a relay is part of this system) Sometimes when the system restarts after a fuse pull I get a message about a new key being detected.

Problem 2:

Noise from door pillar/windscreen area

Sometimes at speeds over 50mph I here a rushing/buzzing/viabration sound from the passenger side windscreen pillar area. Nothing in this area seems loose and it is hard to tie down the exact area the noise is coming from it may be further down around the front wheel, I can't feel any play in the wheel bearing on that side.

Question:

I've always thought that the BMW diesel engine in this RR and my previous P38 (how can I put it) 'roars' (not in a bad way) Over here in Greece it seems to roar even more its as if cooling fans are working overtime. Its hot over here in the summer but the engine temperature never rises above normal.

Post #22568 17th Jul 2010 7:45am
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

I'm no expert in car electronics but if the manual says 30A and its a 15A, you need to change it, perhaps the circuit is getting overloaded?

Is the buzzing noise a mechanical type noise, electronic?

My Td6 roared quite a lot, it was just the way it was, after a while it seemed to calm down and was smoother and quieter. I have no idea why, it never had any problems though. Discovery 4 HSE
1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF
1982 Series 3 Hard Top

*Gone:L462 D5 HSE LUX, L663 Defender 110 HSE, Discovery 3 HSE, 2014MY Range Rover Sport 5.0 Supercharged AB Dynamic; L405 Exec Vogue SE 4.4, 5.0 Supercharged Autobiography, Defender TDCi XS CSW, Defender TD5 HT, Vogue SE TDV8, Vogue TD6, RRSport SC 4.2V8, Classic 3.9 Vogue Auto, Land Rover Series 3 SWB

Post #22578 17th Jul 2010 11:06am
hoppy_70

England 2018 Range Rover Autobiography 2.0 PHEV Loire Blue

I'm getting the buzzing as well. Sounds like it's coming from inside the right hand air vent and only happens above 80mph. Quite annoying.

As for the noise. The vicous fan will be locked in full flow if it's hot. Makes it sound like a spitire taking off. If it does it when it's cool then your coupling is shagged. Better to be stuck locked, than stuck loose though, you dont want it overheating. Shocked

Post #22597 17th Jul 2010 1:42pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

i've had this 'kind' noise on other cars and its turned out to be a dry leaf vibrating...removal of leaf and noise gone..

Post #22608 17th Jul 2010 3:32pm
Sportex

England 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

i have this annoying noise and constant whining which is intermiitant. Only seems to be there when MY59 Wifey in the passenger seat No body told me there would be days like these

L Reg dark purple/burgundy sort of Disco
R Reg very red disco
Bright Silver disco TD5
Sort of bright girly powder blue disco TD5
Gone (a while back) 1999 P38 4ltre Autobiography. 13 miles to the gallon, 10,000 miles to the engine
Gone MY06 RRS HSE Rimini Red
Gone MY10 RRS HSE Purple
Gone 2007 TDV8 Vogue OF Stornoway Grey (In Love again)
2011 4.4 TDV8 Vogue Baltic Blue
MY66 VOGUE TDV6 3.0 Red

Post #22624 17th Jul 2010 9:52pm
XXXAngelXXX

Germany 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE 5.0 SC V8 Havana

Laughing

funny i had less roaring and only on morning start ups with the RRS TDV6 than with the FFRRSC who makes it lot more often during the drive in town .... Confused All my spelling errorz are belong to me!

2023 FFRR L460
2020 Range Rover Velar

Post #22629 18th Jul 2010 6:31am
Captain Slog

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Java Black

Thanks for the constructive comments.

I don't think the fuse size makes any difference. A fuse is for over current protection only.

Does anyone have any experience of getting behind the main fuse-box or touchscreen? and does anyone know if a relay is used on this system?

Post #22632 18th Jul 2010 8:40am
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

You may want to speak with MK4TTS as he just took his apart, although would need to check if his is the touchscreen version or not. Discovery 4 HSE
1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF
1982 Series 3 Hard Top

*Gone:L462 D5 HSE LUX, L663 Defender 110 HSE, Discovery 3 HSE, 2014MY Range Rover Sport 5.0 Supercharged AB Dynamic; L405 Exec Vogue SE 4.4, 5.0 Supercharged Autobiography, Defender TDCi XS CSW, Defender TD5 HT, Vogue SE TDV8, Vogue TD6, RRSport SC 4.2V8, Classic 3.9 Vogue Auto, Land Rover Series 3 SWB

Post #22635 18th Jul 2010 10:03am
dantheman

United Kingdom 

Just to be sure Captain - I'd get Scotty to change the fuse and see what happens. Low cost option. Thumbs Up

Post #22682 19th Jul 2010 7:09am
Fox

United Kingdom 

I had a kind of vibrating/whoshng noise at speeds over 60mph.
It was the roof rail thing (don't know correct name) that is part of the actual roof where the roof rack/bars fit into. The rubber seal at the front by the windscreen was tucked under and this allowed the air under it at speed, which made the leading edge vibrate.

Worth a look maybe?

Also make sure the A post black plastic does not move. I think they are held on by clips somewhere. My dealer changed a couple (no charge) when it had a service once. Also seemed quieter afterwards, but could be the placeebo effect.

Or the bottom of the wing vibrating?
The bottoms do sometimes stick out.

That's me out of ideas. Smile

Post #22683 19th Jul 2010 7:22am
M44K TS

England 

RRUK wrote:
You may want to speak with MK4TTS as he just took his apart, although would need to check if his is the touchscreen version or not.

Who? Laughing

Yeah, I had the glovebox out on mine which exposes the fusebox area, it's simple enough to remove, open the glovebox lid and remove the 6 (I think) T20 torx screws, the glovebox the slides out, then you will see the cable for the locking mechanism, remove that and there should be enough slack on the cabling for the cd changer to allow you to sit the whole glovebox on the passenger seat. You should be able to get to the rear of the fusebox as there's quite a bit of room with the glovebox out.

My car doesn't have the touchscreen monitor, although I beleive removal of the monitor itself is the same for both types, which I found a link here...

http://www.bmwtips.com/tipsntricks/MP3%20i...inputs.htm

Other than that, I wouldn't know what's causing the screen to go off. 2006 Mercedes CLS
1991 Retro-style Mini
But really finding it hard to fight the urge for a S/C...

Post #22823 20th Jul 2010 5:21pm
elpeede

England 2003 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Zambezi Silver

Oooo that was worth looking at... old tape and elastic band required to ensure inturupion free carx mp3....

........ mean while back on the origional thread... Thumbs Up

Post #22866 20th Jul 2010 10:37pm
RRVSE

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SDV8 Corris Grey

I had the buzzing sound on the passenger side and mine was also the plastic trim on the outside of the 'A' pillar. Over a certain speed, it would lift due to air pressure and make a noise. The dealer simply replaced all the clips and it has been OK since. You'd expect it to be loose because it had been removed to say replace a windscreen, but I reckon it is when people try to clean the windscreen and need something to get hold of to reach over.
I'm with Adam on the head unit fuse issue though. As you say, it's there for current surge/overload protection, but if you've got a 15A and it's supposeed to be 30A, how do you know that the head unit doesn't want to use say 20A in normal use whilst doing certain functions and so blows the fuse when it's just trying to do something quite normal. I wouldn't thing RR would specify a 30A fuse when a 15A would do, they would just specify 15A in the first place if that was all that was needed, surely? Steve

Main car : FFRR L405 Vogue SDV8
Other car : Vauxhall Lotus Carlton
Past cars : FFRR L322 Vogue TD6 SE (Sept 2006 MY07) ; LandCruiser SWB ; 4-Runner ; Supras; XJS V12 LeMans

Post #23422 28th Jul 2010 12:02am
RRCanuck

Canada 2010 Range Rover Supercharged Supercharged Santorini Black

to what "plastic trim" are you referring to RRVSE?? I sometimes experience a buzz as well.

kind regards,

mike.

Post #23438 28th Jul 2010 3:35am
RRVSE

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SDV8 Corris Grey

The plastic trim is literally the long piece of black plastic on the outside of the car that covers the length of the 'A' pillar from roof to bonnet (hood) on the passenger side (and of course the drivers side aswell). It's held in place by poppers if I remember, but sometimes they are weak due to the reasons I mentioned.
Cheers Steve

Main car : FFRR L405 Vogue SDV8
Other car : Vauxhall Lotus Carlton
Past cars : FFRR L322 Vogue TD6 SE (Sept 2006 MY07) ; LandCruiser SWB ; 4-Runner ; Supras; XJS V12 LeMans

Post #23559 28th Jul 2010 5:53pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1