Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General > Difference between 06, 07 and 08 4.2 vogue SE?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
dingg1

2007 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.2 SC V8 Stornoway Grey

why LPG an SC FF
in my case daily driver ,makes sense to me with petrol costs

6-8k bill for MAYBE having to have hardened valve seats FITTED - 3-4k max IMO

flashlube system SHOULD prevent VSR. I'm willing to give it a go due to not finding any definitive horror stories other than everyone saying ooohhh risky etc etc

for every hassle post of people with problems theres lots without , get a good local installer and the system should be able to run properly without dangerous implications IMO

as yours was fitted with gas did you never ever try it to find out how it performed ?

I find that odd tbh

Post #219623 30th Oct 2013 12:34am
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

The OP asked for buying advice and wants to LPG a FF he will use "not as a daily driver" and the post was my opinion simple!!! I'm not going to argue the pro's & con's of LPG...

And yes I did use the gas occasionally on my SC... 3 yrs on no use would not do any good now would it! Don't take comments so literally! Rolling Eyes

Post #219627 30th Oct 2013 12:56am
dingg1

2007 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.2 SC V8 Stornoway Grey

keep yer hair on matey
Rolling with laughter

Post #219628 30th Oct 2013 12:59am
pld118

Scotland 2014 Range Rover Vogue SDV6 Santorini Black

@ dingg1 -

I know nothing about LPG other than one story I was told. Months ago when out in ours on a test drive with the main dealer Master Technician he was chatting about how good the SC RR is. He said the 4.2 is great but the 5.0 is just incredible. He then told me a story about a customer a few years ago who had bought a nearly new 4.2 SC... Then LPG converted it which invalidated the 3 year LR warranty and due to a problem with the LPG conversion it resulted in quote "an £8k repair bill" (presumed he was talking £8k at main dealer rates). He also expressed surprise at someone wanting to spend many thousands of pounds on a flagship Supercharged engine which he held up as pretty much bulletproof and then risking the engine (& a good warranty) by converting it for what in that case was a false economy.

Thumbs Up

Post #219637 30th Oct 2013 7:32am
Bellini

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Zermatt Silver

Can't personally comment on S/C LPG systems, but I do agree with Craig that the OP's use for 'weekends and holidays' isn't cost-economic for an LPG system and especially when fitted to a high performance engine.

My own experience of V8 LPG systems isn't good, but it's not FFRR related and I wouldn't consider that tale relevant.

Going back to the reliability question originally posed, my own research suggests the usual FFRR points of rear wheelarch rust, functionality of all systems, rear tailgate corrosion, etc.

S/C models can be prone to binding rear calipers, from what I gather, which manifest in a juddering at speed.

On my own '07 S/C, I was also presented with a sidelight lens melting issue that's a known LR fault with the adaptive headlights.

The only fix on these models is new headlights. And they're £600 each new from a dealer. So make sure your potential purchase is OK. Or accept them and buy replacement LED halo units from Mr Craig above.

Finding a good dealer is the key, or a decent private sale. I wholeheartedly support steering well awway from Saxton. DO NOT go near them at any cost.

The right one will appear. Just keep looking and be patient. Thumbs Up Si. <This is my name.

I eat rat poison.

A man ain't truly been insulted until he stands buck naked in front of a woman and she didn't even notice. Or care.

Post #219638 30th Oct 2013 7:55am
CG-SC

2006 Range Rover Autobiography Supercharged Zambezi Silver

LPG - It all comes down to the quality of the conversion work and the system fitted......as for peoples misconceptions - I hear economy fuel being used now - ffs, it's not an economy, just far less tax on it !!

I got mine converted by someone who is very competent and set the car up correctly, it's been fine now for 20k miles (converted at 78000, now at 98000) and every time I fill her up i don't feel as bad as handing over £130 per tank.

There are no doubt many installers out there who don't spend the time or the effort to convert properly - just like getting a bad facelift conversion - as always, everything comes down to the time, effort and knowledge of the person carrying out the work........these are my personal views from someone who has had more issues from the 'general L322 problems' than the LPG conversion ! Stolen / Gone: 2006MY Supercharged LPG Autobiography - Zambezi Silver with Sand/Jet/Jet Oxford Leather.....

Post #219647 30th Oct 2013 8:47am
Cam-Tech-Craig

The reason I refer to it as economy fuel is, aprox 40% of the core cooling in a combustion engine is performed by petrol... Fact is LPG does not have that cooling effect of the bore to it runs a little hotter... Why would you up the core temps on a performance engine? If you drive it 100 miles a week, 85 miles are on a slow commute (then use LPG) and the other 15 miles when you are enjoying the open road... Petrol Thumbs Up

You see... An economy fuel Thumbs Up

Post #219673 30th Oct 2013 10:17am
Cam-Tech-Craig

And like the OP said... Car will be used for weekends and holidays... So mostly for enjoyment hence negating the need for LPG IMHO... Thumbs Up

Post #219676 30th Oct 2013 10:20am
CG-SC

2006 Range Rover Autobiography Supercharged Zambezi Silver

Instead of hi-jacking this thread with the the good old SC LPG VSR debate, I've posted an intersting link on the 'LPG Section' which clarifies a lot of the perceived issues (including the cooling effect of petrol Whistle ) Stolen / Gone: 2006MY Supercharged LPG Autobiography - Zambezi Silver with Sand/Jet/Jet Oxford Leather.....

Post #219690 30th Oct 2013 11:11am
Cam-Tech-Craig

I beg to differ... It's not hi-jacking the OP's thread as he as asked for advice when buying an SC...

Post #219817 30th Oct 2013 8:35pm
Swithins

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Autobiography 4.2 SC V8 Buckingham Blue

Many thanks gents for all the replies they truly are helpful.

Unfortunately my weekend and holiday driving has led to annual mileage of just over 10k in my SL and if what you are all saying about the driving experience of the SC is anything to go by I can see that 10k figure being blown apart each year, especially as we waft through Europe in total luxury.

I also detest being screwed by the government on its fuel tax under the most ridiculous reasoning that it will help the environment if they tax me to death, like f Censored g hell it will. So the feeling I get by sticking 2 fingers to those morons at the DOT by paying half what my fellow motorists are to tear up the roads gives me a great sense of pleasure.

In my 99 SL500.I get absolutely no drop in performance, LPG systems have come a long way since the early days, I'm assuming/hoping the Same will be the case with the SC.

Gona spend this weekend test driving SC's. Wish me luck.

Post #219852 30th Oct 2013 10:09pm
pld118

Scotland 2014 Range Rover Vogue SDV6 Santorini Black

Serious question(s) about LPG/ apols if already dealt with and missed:

How much does it cost to have a proper RR LPG conversion done?

Then, how many miles do you need to cover before clawing back the cost of the conversion and the difference in price between unleaded and LPG?

Ps.. not thinking about having it done, it was just that when reading Swithins last post it made me wonder how many miles LPG fans need to cover before the conversion pays back/ similar thoughts to the diesel v petrol debate.

Last edited by pld118 on 31st Oct 2013 6:35am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #219853 30th Oct 2013 10:25pm
alanm_3

Location: my House, unless I’m not at home, in which case I’m somewhere else.

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Take a look here -http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/380613121199?ssP...1438.l2649 Got - 2017 SDV8 Autobiography in Loire Blue
Had- 2008 TDV8 Vogue SE in Java black
Had - 2007 S/C in Stornoway Grey

Post #219857 30th Oct 2013 10:45pm
Swithins

Have a look here, they have done a number of LPG conversions on the 4.2 sc in jag's

Cost is around £2200

http://www.go-lpg.co.uk/X350_XJR_Supercharged.html

Always best to go for a fitter with lots of experience especially with this engine.

Post #219886 31st Oct 2013 12:52am
Swithins

I'm testing a 48k mileage SC tomorrow and really looking forward to it. I tend to spend months looking for big ticket items as I'm getting older (45) and have read that 4x4's have a premium price point coming up to winter. I found this with my convertible which I got for a v v v good price during the month of November.

I am going to take on board and print out every worthwhile piece of advice on this board. As i'm buying a car for a long term investment, i.e. spends more time on the road rather than in a garage, and will be using it to enhance family holiday's, I want to make sure its the best I can buy. In my business I constantly tell clients to do your due diligence.

If however, a bargain turns up I will post photo's up here.

One of the reasons I am so excited by the FFRR is that I will be retiring to Malaysia, where my wife comes from, and where my forthcoming arthritis (motorbike smash) will behave itself, as well as the cost of living. I have promised myself that I will drive there, only one sea to cross. BTW google maps suggests the near 7,000 journey will take me just over 7days via the M1 Laughing . Thing is that my excellent buy should be good enough in 15 years to get me there, while not looking like an expensive and therefore potential excuse for ransoming me off by, gangsters, fundamentalists, mentalists, any other suggestions welcome, who's countries I will visit.

Great weekend

Gary

Post #220188 1st Nov 2013 5:06pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>