Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > sensor for remote central locking
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
dalziel

2003 Range Rover SE Td6 Epsom Green
sensor for remote central locking

TD6 2003SE: where is the remote sensor for central locking. If it's in rear view mirror what do you do if mirror needs changing? Mine has developed orange/brown stains and when I tried a second-hand replacement it did exactly the same after a couple of days on the car. Any ideas?

Post #198994 15th Jul 2013 10:26pm
47p2

Scotland 

Remote Handsets

The remote handset is incorporated into the head of the ignition key. Up to four different remote handsets can be
initialised for use on the same vehicle.
The type of transmitter is market dependent and is either a Radio Frequency (RF) transmitter, operating at 315 or 433
MHz, or an infrared transmitter. RF transmitters communicate with the vehicle through the radio antenna integrated
into the rear window heater and have an operating range of 10 m (32.8 ft) minimum and up 30 m (98.4 ft) under
optimum conditions. Infrared transmitters communicate with the vehicle through an infrared receiver integrated into
the interior rear view mirror and have an operating range of 3 m (9.8 ft) minimum and up to 5 m (16.4 ft) under optimum
conditions.
Each remote handset incorporates a signal processor, transmitter and power supply in a dustproof and waterproof
housing. Buttons on the housing operate the remote functions. An LED on the housing flashes when a button is
pressed to confirm operation to the user. If the LED does not flash when a button is pressed the battery needs
recharging/replacing.
RF remote handsets have three operating buttons:
l The lock button, for locking and superlocking of the vehicle and convenience closing of the windows and sunroof
l The unlock button, for unlocking the vehicle and convenience opening of the windows and sunroof
l The tail door open button, for opening the tail door while the rest of the vehicle remains locked and for panic alarm
activation.
Infrared remote handsets only have two operating buttons, a lock button and an unlock button.

Post #199009 15th Jul 2013 11:28pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

afaik the red bubble on the mirror is for the alarm light indicator only , the receiver is in the engine compartment...what do you mean by yours is discolouring? pics? ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #199024 16th Jul 2013 8:24am
dalziel

Here is pic. Replacement mirror was clear whilst off vehicle and didn't discolour in same way until car was out of garage and particular as we drove into evening. I'm thinking the sensors don't 'talk' to one another until a 'jumper' connects them once the mirror is mounted onto the vehicle and the electrochromatic process needs a current to stabilise which means if my car is not wired for this type of mirror the thing goes haywire. i fitted a manual dipping mirror (just two wires on plug) and this has stayed clear but central locking stopped working. My key has three buttons? Also wondering if there's a way of rescuing/restoring the stained mirrors as I now have two of these!

Click image to enlarge

Post #199191 17th Jul 2013 11:45am
ebajema

New Zealand 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Galway Green

The three buttons on the mirror are the "Homelink" system for opening garage doors and electric gates. MY 2010 5.0 SC Galway green and sand interior!!
Have the Faultmate MSV2 Extreme to be tinkering with the settings etc. !!

Post #199194 17th Jul 2013 11:53am
Katash

England 2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Zermatt Silver

Looks cooked - is your alternator regulating voltage correctly?

Post #199210 17th Jul 2013 12:53pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

or what ever is supplying the electric to the mirrors might be faulty...did you connect the mirrors up correctly. ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #199235 17th Jul 2013 5:02pm
dalziel

Can't think how it could be misconnected as there was just a male plug on the mirror that would only connect one way to the socket at the end of the wiring loom coming from the car ceiling lining. I did notice this had insulation tape wrapped around it but thought that was just harnessing. Wondering now if someone has done a 'cut and shunt' on the original wires as the last MOT had an advisory on the mirror being 'fogged'. Only had car a few weeks. Where would I get the wiring diagram for the mirror?

Post #199323 17th Jul 2013 10:30pm
dalziel

Would incorrect wiring explain the remote locking no longer working?

Post #199324 17th Jul 2013 10:31pm
dalziel

Quick update - mirror change and remote not operating must just be weird coincidence as I tried the key reprogramming routine and it worked! Still baffled by 'fried' mirror though!

Post #199551 19th Jul 2013 12:11pm
Bigmick

United Kingdom 

Fried mirror is a known issue on BMWs, caused by failure of a seal and leakage of the auto dimming fluid. 2 companies make most of the electro chromic mirrors, Magna Donnelly and Gentex. BMW used the Magna Donnelly but changed to Gentex around 2007 because of this issue.
Since this age of FFRR is primarily built from BMW components, I assume the problem has carried over. Mike
Gone:-
2004 V8 Autobiography
1998 2.5 DSE
1993 200Tdi Classic

Post #199932 21st Jul 2013 11:06pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1