Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Getting past dash error message when using IID tool
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
tomthevet

Scotland 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Tonga Green
Getting past dash error message when using IID tool

Have been having a few issues with the air suspension (surprise surprise!) with an inoperative message on the dash which comes after about 30 seconds and then clears when ignition off a while. And in the time between the message going off and me switching off the car the IID tool shows an error along the lines of 'air pressure not increasing fast enough' (the reason I cant be exact about the wording is because of the following.....).

When I went out now to get the exact wording the error on the dash is now permanent saying 'extended mode, return to normal as soon as obstacle cleared' but as soon as you touch the height control it bongs, lights on this go off and the extended mode warning remains.

My question is is there a way to turn off the dash warning somehow so I can actually use the IID Tool to fault read and check the air pressure? Now its on extended mode it stays on permanently so I cant read any IID stuff.

Cheers for any help
T

Post #186750 5th May 2013 9:27pm
A1GSS

England 

Suggest you email this q to the guys at GAP. They've been very quick to respond. Graham

____
Gone: 10MY L320 RR Sport HSE, Ipanema Sand
Gone: 20MY Jaguar iPace HSE, Silicon Silver
Gone: 17MY RR Evoque SE Tech, Loire Blue
Gone: 08MY Discovery 3 XS, Stornoway Grey
Gone: 07MY FFRR TDV8 Vogue, Stornoway Grey

Post #186752 5th May 2013 9:28pm
tomthevet

Good idea. Never thought of that. Which is a bit silly as I was totally stuck a few months back and they helped out hugely!
T

Post #186753 5th May 2013 9:30pm
A1GSS

England 

Thumbs Up Graham

____
Gone: 10MY L320 RR Sport HSE, Ipanema Sand
Gone: 20MY Jaguar iPace HSE, Silicon Silver
Gone: 17MY RR Evoque SE Tech, Loire Blue
Gone: 08MY Discovery 3 XS, Stornoway Grey
Gone: 07MY FFRR TDV8 Vogue, Stornoway Grey

Post #186758 5th May 2013 10:22pm
tomthevet

Well just had another look and its all very odd. One second it says extended mode and on the off road visual it says its at full height and the next its at access, all without the height actually changing.

Still cant use IID to full capacity though due to the error messages on the dash but starting to think its the ecu but need to get some codes.

Will keep you posted.

T

Post #186761 5th May 2013 10:31pm
Budgie

Scotland 

Have you tried starting the FFRR and then plugging the IID Tool in?
I've found that will override and faults on the dash and let the IID read the faults from the ECU's. 

Post #186787 6th May 2013 10:33am
tomthevet

Have tried doing that and also when engine off but ignition on but always the message coming from the car itself over rides the IID message.

Whats getting very odd is that the errors keep changeing.

At moment the car is obviously low but the graphic on the off road screen says its high and the lights on the height adjustment say its high and the dash says extended mode. As soon as you touch the dial to make it go up or down it says suspension fault and extended mode stays on the dash so you cant read any faults.

If I dont touch anything then the IID tool can intertmittently read codes which vary between control module, pressure not increasing fast enough to low pressure or any of combination of the above.

None of the height sensors have been damaged in any obvious way and I can hear the compressor going on and off but only for a few seconds when the message comes up that lifting will continue when the pump has cooled. The pump and motor temperature then read 99 degrees on the IID if I can get it to show up! But they have hardly done any work.

The gallery pressure is always 500-600KPas which seems enough surely? But it doesnt seem to be doing anything as nothing makes the cars height change!

This car really does wear me out. Will use the good old Isuzu Trooper (200,000 rarely serviced and never had one fault!) til I decide in what form the death of this car is going to occur. I am quite taken by the way Clarksons motor home met its maker off a cliff! I really should have sold when I had the chance, cant abide unreliability. Been said before by hundreds I guess and am sure it will pass!

I guess the question is first up will a low voltage battery have any of the above random effects?

Or might it be the suspension ECU as it doesnt seem to follow one pattern at the moment? If so where is it so I can make sure its not a physical thing like a loose connector, full of water type thing?

If the gallery pressure is ok why arent the spring filling?

T

Post #186811 6th May 2013 1:16pm
wslr

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Atacama Sand

Low vehicle battery will cause poor connectivity.

I can't comment on the system you are using, but it sounds pretty popular on here. Anything using SDD will always have to have a Battery Support Unit attached as this system is very fussy about battery voltage. T4, if your is pre 06 is less fussy, but you still need a good battery voltage otherwise you can get comms issues.

You may have an issue with the ECU, so you could try a battery reset (disconnect vehicle battery in the correct way) and then connect the neg and positive battery loom cables together for 30 seconds. Don't let the battery get in the way while doing this. Then with a good battery on the vehicle, reconnect and try again. This may help settle the Ride Level ECU.

Post #186812 6th May 2013 1:26pm
Bofa Bill

Scotland 2003 Range Rover SE Td6 Epsom Green

Maybe one of yer sensors have 'slipped' and is telling the Control module that ye have one wheel not contacting the ground?
No wanting to teach ye how to suck eggs but the RR suspension goes into extended mode when one or more wheels leave the ground.
Poss just one of the sensors not playing 'cricket'

Also as yer pump maybe overheating so get some copper pipe into supply cool air.
Saves the pump burning oot.

Soz if ye know all above but Hope it helps

BOFA Made in Scotland frae 'Girders'

Post #186825 6th May 2013 3:46pm
tomthevet

I will take all the crap out of the boot when I get home and take the cover off the pump but have a feeling it wont be hot as the temperature seemed to shoot up so quickly from ambient to 99 degrees. By uncovering it I will be able to tell if the pump is actually switching on too I guess.

I guess I should be able to check if one of the sensors is playing up by looking at the live vehicle height values.

Am a bit confused that the gallery pressure is high but the height doesnt change.

Am I also right in thinking if I had a leak then the car would drop over night? This hasnt happened but is finding it impossible to get to normal height right now.

T

Post #186842 6th May 2013 5:28pm
DavidP

Belgium 2006 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Bonatti Grey

"take everything out the boot" - my vet would scream as the cabinets are built in and full of cr4p...

Post #186879 6th May 2013 7:48pm
tomthevet

Thats what the Trooper is for! Fully built in ex Scottish Gas cabinets, wash basin etc.
T

Post #186882 6th May 2013 7:53pm
tomthevet

Sorted

Just thought I would update people on my suspension issue.

They guys at GAP were awesome once more and with much toing and froing it was decided that it was purely the compressor that was at fault. Basically could pump the front and back up separately but slowly but couldnt pressurise the reservoir as wouldnt go above 600Pa.

Anyway I took the compressor apart and roughed up the piston ring, re did all the gaskets and tightened it all up, Some of the leaks were amazing especially around the inlet to the drier. Anyway once all sorted and back in the car the pressure now went up to 700Pa but no further so I got a new compressor from Lee at Guy Salmon in Yorkshire somewhere via ebay. Was less than half price brand new including the relay.

Just changed it all and perfect functioning again with pressure immediately up to 1.2kPa or so.

The kits to refurb the compressors from Germany are just for the plastic cylinder head ones whereas mine was metal but I think just the motor itself was on its way out as much as anything as it was leak free after I finished.

Anyway may be of help to someone.

T

Post #188420 15th May 2013 12:19pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

interesting, thankyou.. ... - .- -.

Y. O. L. O.

Post #188422 15th May 2013 12:28pm
kingpleb

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Bonatti Grey

Good news then Tom Smile
Yours must have been old age as mine just snapped the conrod instead of letting the motor get old Sad I now have a spare compressor that needs 1 part to be perfect again!! FFRR MY06 facelift With TDV8 Alloys Zeros/ATR's
Mantec Sump Guard, Rigid Load liner, MY10 BT upgrade.

Post #188431 15th May 2013 12:47pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1