Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > air suspension inactive message.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
muffster

2002 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Java Black
air suspension inactive message.

Hi folks.
I'm getting this message up on the dash. As yet i'm not sure what the issue is but the suspension isn't working from the button on the door or the controller on the centre console. And the small LED doesn't extinguish on the height adjuster when i press it.
I'm wondering if this could be related to some problems which iv'e had from the battery like no instruments working to the sat nav reading German!
Anyway, can this fault code simply be read and reset?

Cheers.

Post #143207 26th Sep 2012 9:15pm
mercs600

England 2002 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Java Black

I've just had the same and it was one of the height sensors. The small ball joint had corroded and snapped off ! Got a new one from Dan and fitted - left a few days and fault cleared itself without having to resort to diagnostic plug-in reset Wink

Post #143211 26th Sep 2012 9:52pm
muffster

Hello mate.
can you tell me where the height sensors are.
Are they easy to get to?

Thanks.

Post #143212 26th Sep 2012 9:59pm
mercs600

If you look in each wheel arch just at the rear of the wheel you should see a long thin arm (about 5-6 ")that at one end is attached to the lower arm and the other end to the vehicle body. There is a joint in the arm to allow it to pivot and it also has an electrical plug on the end of its attached cable that plugs in to a socket next to the chassis attachment of the arm. On mine it was the front nearside and you could see the remains of the long arm hanging down and swinging free. I ordered one from Dan and it was @£22 Wink
I am at work so I cannot take a photo but if you are still stuck tomorrow I can nip out and take some and then post them so its more informative Thumbs Up

Post #143214 26th Sep 2012 10:12pm
muffster

Thanks mate that would be helpful.
At work so won't be able to have a look until the weekend.
So, i take it they are fitted front and rear, and are they easy to fit?

Cheers.

Post #143216 26th Sep 2012 10:21pm
mercs600

Yes - they are fitted to each side - front and rear. Once the road wheel is off its a 15 minute job to remove the old one and fit the new one. Tools required were -
1 Pair of snips (to cut the tie wrap off that hold the cable secure and out of harms way).
2 10 mm spanner
3 13mm spanner
4 new tie wrap for cable on new sensor.
After I fitted the new one I still had the suspension error message on the dash and the locked out display led on the dial for about a week before it cleared. However I only rove about 6 miles in total and it cleared by itself - so I think it is distance related i.e. needs to see no errors in say 10 miles before it resets itself..
I also lubricated the new ball joint on the new arm to prevent a reoccurance in the future (the old one had no lube in it what-so-ever).Spay grease and WD40 Thumbs Up

Post #143224 27th Sep 2012 12:11am
Budgie

Scotland 

I had this fault come up on my 2003 Vogue.
I already knew I had battery issues but was waiting for a new battery to arrive and had to drive from the North of Scotland to Penrith and back and fortunatly the battery remained charged for the whole of the journey.
We stopped at Gretna and as we left Gretna and headed to the slip road back on to the M6 the SatNav screen went blank and appeared to reboot itself, the car drove with no problems, but then I got a "Bong" and "Air Susp Inoperative" came up on the dash as the SatNav screen came back on and I got the same lights on the suspension controls as you have.

I stopped before getting on the M6, turned the car off for 20 minutes and waited but the fault was still there on restart. It stayed there all the way back home but I did notice that the rear suspension was still lowering for rear access when we stopped.

I cleaned all the battery connections, including the earth to body connection and reset the fault with the IIDTool when I got home. Since resetting it hasn't returned and I put the new battery in today so, crossed fingers, that's the end of it.

One thing I noticed when the battery started to fail was that I got the odd "HDC Inactive" alert showing on the first start of the day. Then it would be fine again until it was left overnight, then the alert would show again.
So if you've got battery issues already then that could be the cause of the fault and you may need something like the IIDTool or Hawkeye to clear it and get the suspension working again. Wink 

Post #143581 28th Sep 2012 9:10pm
Meerbusch

United Kingdom 

@boys, first allways the battery, when older as three years buy a new one, second the high-sensor-contacts, and third last but not least the compressor when from 2002-2005, here in germany now the most have new compressors inside (or repaired), also is the sensor of the reservoir a good friend of bad contact, the cable to it is to short, therefore it comes to contact with the metal of the body.

regards from germany, Uli L405 SDV8 2017 + Lancia Flavia Coupe 1964 + RRS L494 3.0 SDV6 + C220CDI Convertible 2021

Post #143647 29th Sep 2012 10:53am
The Brains Trust

Australia 2003 Range Rover HSE Td6 Adriatic Blue

Just done one myself - I used the GAP Diagnostics IID tool to diagnose mine. When testing the EAS up and down, I got some strange readings from the FR sensor, and 'Vehicle Height Validity Error' or something like that. Replaced it, and all is good, although I found a small leak from the FL airbag soon after when the vehicle was lowered to access height. When at normal height, all ok, so SWMBO is not allowed to lower it again until the new air springs arrive - hopefully tomorrow. Smile

Cheers - Gav

Post #143858 1st Oct 2012 6:12am
muffster

Hi again folks, an update.
I first though this would be an electrical issue.
Since changing the original LR battery last year i've had no end of problems.
Got the incorrect amp/hour battery from a motorfactors which threw up all sorts of problems.
Went down to LR, spoke to a foreman in the service dept, the muppet told me it should be a 90 amp/hour battery! thanks for that.
So, got the correct 120 A/H fitted but the round post terminals on the battery are fractionally too small for the neg clamp so it moved around a little, causing no fuel gauge/speedo, German messages etc, etc.
Reset battery each time, all ok.

So, i looked at the height sensors, they are all intact, sprayed them up with grease.
using the button on the door and the compressor starts to work for a while.
using the height adjuster, turning down triggers the compressor for about 10 seconds, then it lets out a puff and stops.
Cant see anything obvious from the airbags.
Looking underneath i can see the airbags move very slightly when the compressor is running.

So that's where i'm at, anyone recognise these symptoms.

Sorry it's a bit long winded!!

Cheers.

Post #145035 6th Oct 2012 5:12pm
arron

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Java Black

i had a similar problem with a customers 322 last week, after several hours of diagnostics it turned out to be the multi plugs on the eas ecu. the plugs were being pulled by the main harness and caused bad contacts on the ecu, adjusted the position of the loom and sorted the multiplugs out and so far its been fine with no problems since.

Post #145209 7th Oct 2012 7:38pm
muffster

arron,
Thanks for that mate, that is worth having a look at.
Whereabouts is the eas ecu?

Thanks.

Post #145341 8th Oct 2012 4:12pm
arron

its just to the left of the glove box, no need to take the glove box out though. send the seat back as far as it will go for extra room then you have to take the panel of that holds the venture cam, you will also need to unclip the black end panel of the dash so you can get to the screw thats hidden behind it. fairly straight forward and only takes about ten minutes to do, good luck and i hope it fixes your problem.

Post #145377 8th Oct 2012 8:13pm
muffster

Great,
Sounds pretty straight forward and i will check it out at the weekend.
But, what is the venture cam???

Car is a 2002 vogue TD6.

Many thanks.

Post #145381 8th Oct 2012 8:22pm
arron

a venture cam is basicly a mobile camera you put on the out side of the car for off roading and sighting obsicles, it shows the images on the screen in the cab. not all of them had it fitted though.

Post #145701 9th Oct 2012 10:47pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>