Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Transfer box motors IGH500010
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
ahebron

New Zealand 
Transfer box motors IGH500010

Been looking for the dreaded Transfer Box motor as that is what it looks like has failed on my car. (2003 TD6)
I have found LR Direct list 4 different brands.
OEM Britpart UKPds573.05
PR2 Allmakes OE UKPds 631.45
OEM Bearmach UKPds 663.44
Land Rover UKPds 1312.74

So what apart from price are the differences between these units.
I was under the assumption only one company makes the Transfer Box Motor so are all these from the same company just sold in different boxes or do different companies make them. If that is so why doesnt one of them just make a replacement potentiometer Evil or Very Mad .
I am aware GyroGypsy is getting some potentiometers made but unfortunately I need one now not in a month or so.
A second hand low mileage transferbox here in NZ is around the NZ$800 mark so the Britpart one is only $300 more including post.
The Land Rover one is over 1/10 what I paid for my car Smile

Thanks
Adrian VW Amarok 2014 Highline auto

Post #140340 10th Sep 2012 5:16am
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

E-mail Simon at Powerfulluk.co.uk and im sure he could either tell you some info, send you a rebuild kit for yours or sell you a recon unit...

Craig Thumbs Up

Post #140346 10th Sep 2012 6:44am
Joe90

England 

I got a britpart one a year ago trying to solve my high / low range problem. Not had it apart but it works. Sitting on the bench in my garage as it didin't fix my problem (will go into low but not come back to high) - I use an old motor (bought 2nd hand of ebay but worse than my original) with the casing off to manually wind it back - not practical I know!

Problems that can occur with the motor is with the magnets. They are "stuck" to the outer body of the motor casing and become "unstuck" and can move around or get attached to the windings. If you take the motor apart be prepared for difficulty in getting it back together as you can't easily guide the motor spindle back into the top of the casing without getting stuck to the magnets. My original motor was full of "kak" in the gearwheels.

If the potentiometer has packed in then as you say the only real way to replace is a whole new motor atm. It is possible to test it all works on the bench with a resistance tester and a battery, see the powerfuluk videos on this. And you may need to test the resistance of the wiring from the ECU to the motor (ECU tucked away behind the battery - see wiki), but check all the wiring and connections inside the motor too.

RRPhil will probably be along to offer further advice Smile .
Experience is the only genuine knowledge, but as time passes, I have forgotten more than I can remember Wink
Volvo V70 P2 2006 2.4 Petrol 170bhp Estate SE
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Previous: L322 Range Rover TDV8 3.6 2008; L322 Range Rover TD6 3.0 2002; P38A Range Rover V8 1999

Post #140393 10th Sep 2012 11:42am
Meerbusch

United Kingdom 

Buyd it last year for a client at the BMW-braker here in germany, 80 Euro (65 GBP), fitted it for RR-electric connection, the client payd 160 Euro (130 GBP) with fixing, fully function until today, he is happy!!

Regards from Germany L405 SDV8 2017 + Lancia Flavia Coupe 1964 + RRS L494 3.0 SDV6 + C220CDI Convertible 2021

Post #140427 10th Sep 2012 2:21pm
ahebron

New Zealand 
Fault codes

Fault codes as of 1800 read with my IID Gap Tool

ABS 5A-Temporary System Deactivation
ECM 0404-Unknown
Instrument Pack IP 8D-Transmission Interface Bus Fault
BD-EBV Function Fault Recieved From ABS ECU
LCM 59-Transmission Emergency Program Fault
Transfer Box 5221-Sensor Short Circuit to Battery (0x5221)
5223- Noise on Actuator Signal (0x5223)

Live Values
Transfer box Current Range Bet_N_H (I read that as between neutral and high) This will flash to high after a time when driving car but when car is parked up it reverts back to Bet_N_H.
Target Range High.

When driving the car sometimes it is ok but at times it will bring up Trans Fail Safe Prog and sit at that or it will continuously flash up with the corresponding bong. When the latter happens the car surges as the trans goes in and out of TFS mode. I don't know if this is the Torque Converter locking and unlocking.
If I try to engage low ratio I can hear the transfer box engage but the low ratio light will flash. When switching back to high ratio the low ratio light still flashes and I do not hear it change.

I am assuming I have a few red herrings in those faults but what are they? Are the ABS fault codes being caused by transfer box problems or are transfer box fault codes being caused by ABS.

Oh and I still do not have my OBC working, is this linked or due to a bad reset of Bluefin.

Gearbox was rebuilt in April including the Torque Converter

I do not have the ability to swap parts around to see if they work or not and will need to order parts from the UK once I have worked what to order to sort the problem.

Post #140555 11th Sep 2012 6:23am
Joe90

England 

ABS problem is possible. There is another thread on here where the ABS ECU was disconnected and it cleared the problem, but came back again after a restart.

Sounds like you have a similar problem to me? Can go into low from high but not back to high from low? But I do not get any ABS messages. (Using RAC tool) .
Experience is the only genuine knowledge, but as time passes, I have forgotten more than I can remember Wink
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Previous: L322 Range Rover TDV8 3.6 2008; L322 Range Rover TD6 3.0 2002; P38A Range Rover V8 1999

Post #140563 11th Sep 2012 7:29am
ahebron

New Zealand 

My gearbox guy unplugged the ABS and the gearbox worked fine but when I try the gearbox still faults. He might have been lucky or had the magic touch. The auto sparky seems convinced it is the transferbox motor. Mine does go back into high ratio but not in a way that I am happy with, hard to explain. Once it goes into TFS I cannot change ratios.
Got me Censored Confused

Post #140566 11th Sep 2012 7:43am
SCZijlstra

Netherlands 2003 Range Rover HSE Td6 Baltic Blue

Meerbusch wrote:
Buyd it last year for a client at the BMW-braker here in germany, 80 Euro (65 GBP), fitted it for RR-electric connection, the client payd 160 Euro (130 GBP) with fixing, fully function until today, he is happy!!

Regards from Germany

Hi, does anybody already have a good solution to get a replacement potentiometer for transfer gearbox motor for a RR TD6?

Mr. Meerbusch, where was the address you mentioned?

Post #305573 16th Jan 2015 3:43pm
Joe90

England 

There is a chap over on the other landrover forum (landrovers.net ?) who was having new potentiometers made to fill the market. Don't know if they ever got to production though. .
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Post #305634 16th Jan 2015 7:49pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1