Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General > Looking at an '03 FFRR Td6 tonight - advice, please?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
mjdronfield

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Buckingham Blue

You can always have the Td6 chipped.........pretty quick then.

On the engine / RR Sport front, I'd say that the L322 is a better car than the Sport, more cossetting and comfortable. Feels nicer to travel in, and the dash is a masterpiece.

The TDV6 is possibly the better engine though, compared to a Td6 unchipped.......

The Td6 is slightly worse than the Tdv8 on fuel, as it is less efficient and an older engine design.

My Td6 is standard, and its quick enough, so long as you work with the mass and momentum...

It'll still be faster than your Classic...... at least mine is quicker than the 3.9 I had........

Mark 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 TDV8

Previous cars :
2003 Range Rover Vogue TD6
1999 Discovery Td5 ES
1995 BMW M5 3.8 6 speed
1992 Range Rover 3.9 Efi Vogue
1992 BMW M5 3.8
1988 BMW 735i SE
1989 Ford Sierra XR4x4 2.9i
1981 Ford Fiesta Supersport

Post #115467 29th Mar 2012 5:39pm
Gazellio @ Prestige Cars

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover SE Td6 Zermatt Silver

Quote:
The biggest downside is that the fuel consumption of a 6 is much higher than the V8.

Not much difference in my experience.....

Post #115476 29th Mar 2012 6:11pm
piecost76

United Kingdom 

Don't forget the TDV8 has the 6 speed gearbox whilst the TD6 just has the 5 gears so that will help MPG on the TDV8 Thumbs Up Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

15 MY 110 XS USW

54 FFRR Vogue TD6 Touchscreen - Gone!
56 FFRR TDV8 VSE - Gone!

Post #115495 29th Mar 2012 7:39pm
ambulancekidd

Scotland 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Oslo Blue

Mike_C wrote:
Thanks Robert! I guess I will decide tonight if it is quick enough for me - if I feel the car is too big/slow/lumbering/cumbersome then I'll go for an RR Sport, but I'm imagining it to be like my RR Classic and I am guessing suspension technology has moved on a little bit since then!! Wink

I am surprised you say the Td6 is worst on fuel than the TDV8 - yes it has to work harder to move the vehicle, but with two less cylinders I'd have thought it'd be less thristy, particularly round town and at cruising speeds. Apparently the TDV6 RRS is more economical than the TDV8, for instance?

I think it's just down to the fact that diesel technology has moved on a a very fast pace in the last few years alone. I can happily get about 27mpg but that seems like an exception rather than the rule. Swmbo manages about 21mpg so god alone knows how she drives it when I'm not there lol. Rolling Eyes Shocked Big Cry

It certainly isn't cumbersome, in fact the L322 is very nimble on its toes. Very Happy Thumbs Up

I had a Discovery (Jap re-import) so was well used to classic Range Rover type of driving experience & trust me on this, the L322 is a quantum leap ahead of Land Rovers of old.

Robert. The reason women's minds are cleaner than a mans mind is that women change their minds more often!
When women say fine a mans in deep doodoo as fine has so many meanings.

Post #115507 29th Mar 2012 9:38pm
Mike_C

OK, well I went and viewed/test drove the FFRR Vogue tonight, here's my thoughts, positives first:

- Car was in really good nick, a lovely looking example
- Fantastic interior and seats, very comfy and loads of room, loved the inside Thumbs Up
- It is HUGE, the physical size of it outside was surprising - must be a Censored to park
- Very familiar; sat nav, interior lights and switchgear idential to my BMW E46 330Ci!
- Quality was superb, seats were supportive and comfortable and loved the gadgets

Now the negatives:

- Firstly, the steering seemed very heavy once you got past 10 and 2 o'clock points, not sure if that was specific to this example?
- The engine felt REALLY rough. I don't think it was a bad car - under 60,000 miles with a FLRSH and only 2 owners - but it felt very agricultural, rough and not particularly fast. When I did accelerate up a slip road, it didn't seem happy about being revved and I would say my 3.9 Classic was a fair bit quicker. Crying or Very sad
- Felt quite heavy, not exactly nimble as others had described.

As it happened, the chap also had a TDV6 RR Sport for sale, which I took out for a spin as a comparison. Felt much more nimble, nicer to drive and I preffered the cosseting cabin, although the FFRR is in another league in terms of quality and comfort.

Overall, I think it is going to be an RR Sport for me - I preferred the driving experience, the engine was a lot smoother and I don't need the extra room. To be honest, the engine ruined it for me - I'd probably love a V8, but can't have LPG as cant take it on the channel tunnel and no good in Morocco either!

Thanks for all your help and advice guys, really appreciate it!

Mike Current fleet:
BMW 330Ci M-Sport coupe - daily driver and long distance cruiser
Range Rover Classic Vogue SE (3.9 V8 on LPG, soft dash model with EAS) - weekend car and generally uneconomical runabout
Suzuki GSX-R750 K6 'Stealth' - trackdays and high speed touring!

Wanted:
Either FF Range Rover Td6 or Range Rover Sport TDV6 - can't decide!

Post #115521 29th Mar 2012 10:36pm
Shropshire lass

England 2002 Range Rover HSE Td6 Giverny Green

Good luck with your search . I have the L322 td6 and love it , how ever it's a personal choice thing. Let us know what you go for

Post #115524 29th Mar 2012 11:05pm
kingpleb

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Bonatti Grey

The biggest let down for the TD6 is ALWAYS the gearbox as its such poor design for such a car.

The TDv6 is different and will feel more nimble, fatter wheels, lower profile and lower to the ground as well.

Just wait for the inevitible(yes i do mean that for the TDV6!) and listen for the sound of a local Indy getting ready for a shell off job to replace it as its munched its bottom end Sad

After a fair few 100miles i missed my L322 and being stuck in a TDV8 RRS Sad ( i killed 1 really well and the 2nd was dying before i moved onto a D4 in 3weeks Very Happy )
The D4 was much better inside i thought and designed to last where as the RRS is designed to, well be a design!

The L322 is designed for well, design, longevity, comfort and relaxation. The best of ALL Very Happy

Good luck with the RRS but i'd certainly advise a warranty for it Very Happy FFRR MY06 facelift With TDV8 Alloys Zeros/ATR's
Mantec Sump Guard, Rigid Load liner, MY10 BT upgrade.

Post #115532 30th Mar 2012 12:17am
Mike_C

Maybe it was a bad example with a rough engine? The gearbox seemed fine, shifted smoothly and when it should, but the engine felt very agricultural, lethartgic and generally not something I would want to drive daily - a real shame!

Why do you say the TDV6 is a bit of a timebomb, kingpleb? From what I have read they seem a reliable engine in both the RRS and D3! It felt like a much better engine too - the RRS wasn't a good example, but the engine was quieter, livelier, more powerful and an awful lot smoother!

If I could put the TDV6 engine in that L322, I'd have bought it there and then. Current fleet:
Range Rover Classic Vogue SE (3.9 V8 on LPG, soft dash model with EAS) - weekend car and generally uneconomical runabout

Wanted:

Post #115570 30th Mar 2012 10:15am
jaybear

France 

Coming from a Classic V8 I am not surprised at all bby your comments re the Agricultural TD6 engine .

That's exactly what i felt whern i tested the TD6 , and that's why i chose a 4.4 V8 !!

I must say that i only drive the FFRR on week-ends and so the perol charges are NOT an issue . Smile Jaybear

2002 V8 , premier edition , 19" alloys ,

Post #115577 30th Mar 2012 10:33am
Mike_C

Having never driven one before I cannot tell if this was a bad engine, but as I said - less than 60k on the clock, FLRSH and only two owners...should be spot on! Which if it is, I am shocked it surprised the NVH tests in the development stages to be honest.

Might see if I can find another Td6 to test drive as a comparison Smile Current fleet:

Wanted:

Post #115580 30th Mar 2012 11:06am
mjdronfield

Well that's a shame. I must admit, when I first went in a Td6 as a passenger, it was more noisy than I expected.

Having had one for a bit, its noisy when cold, and I get a bit more induction noise when I press the throttle, due to the K & N air filter I have.

Once it starts to warm up, its nice and smooth, and is probably happiest on the motorway just wafting along.

You're probably right to try another. I went in one that struggled at anything over 70mpg really, and we later found the air flow meter wasn't working, so the engine had gone to a default fuel map........

A mate of mine did over 80,000 mls in a 2004 D3 TDV6 in a couple of years, and that engine was smoother and quieter, but I am starting to hear bad things about early ones just "blowing up" engine wise. Something about oil clearances or something ?

But then you'd never do anything if you were scared of what would happen !!

If you are looking at an RRS, perhaps you should also look at an X5 ? as I think thats a better comparison.

Maybe I'm muddying the water, and you've already been through that process.

The cars are built to a price, and the RRS is cheaper than an L322 when new, because, well, its cheaper to build !!

I know where I'd rather be sat.

I know press on drivers who prefer the RRS as it's more "chuckable". I'd just rather enjoy the ride, and let them get on with it.....

I think the Td6 standard, is about 174 bhp. You can have it tuned to about 230bhp I believe, which makes it X5 quick........

Good luck with your search, however you decide to progress, let us know...

Previous cars :
1999 Discovery Td5 ES
1995 BMW M5 3.8 6 speed
1992 BMW M5 3.8
1988 BMW 735i SE

Post #115586 30th Mar 2012 12:03pm
Mike_C

He started it up when I got there and it idled for at least 10 minutes before we went on the test drive, so should've been warm by then? I expect a bit of diesel clatter when cold, but this just felt quite strained, particularly when accelerating hard!

Coming from a BMW 330Ci, I'm thinking perhaps an RRS is a better step for me, although I am sure I will get a FFRR one day. But then, being on the younger side of 30 and without the addition of kids, I probably don't need a FFRR just yet!

As for the X5, wouldn't last 5 minutes in Morocco...! Current fleet:

Wanted:

Post #115591 30th Mar 2012 12:15pm
mjdronfield

Ah, forgot about the Morocco bit !!

Should have been warm by then. I tend to have the hi-fi on so don't really notice the noise.

When I was 30 I had a BMW E34 M5 so I can't talk. 42 now, and all I keep seeing is speed cameras etc, so am happy in my RR.

In a few years you may be able to get a TDV8, which is a very nice engine. Drove a new one at the Land Rover Experience at Eastnor Castle, and the car was well impressive.

All the best

Previous cars :
1999 Discovery Td5 ES
1995 BMW M5 3.8 6 speed
1992 BMW M5 3.8
1988 BMW 735i SE

Post #115596 30th Mar 2012 12:36pm
Mike_C

I could get a TDV8 now to be honest, I'm just being tight and don't want to spend the extra road tax each year, drives me mad the amount I pay in tax for everything already!!! Current fleet:

Wanted:

Post #115598 30th Mar 2012 12:44pm
Bellini

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Zermatt Silver

I appreciate the use you'll be giving your prospective purchase, but I do urge you to try a petrol 4.4V8.

I've never driven a Td6, but as a 3.6TDV8 is going to cost around £20k upwards, buying a 4.4 petrol at half that and having a more usable boot compared to the RRS and better quality may be a bonus?

Petrol should be OK in Morocco, I imagine?

OK, so the fuel costs might be a bit higher, but from what I'm reading the drive is nothing like a petrol V8.

I do concede the handling is a bit tippy-toe, but that's why the RRS exists in my opinion. But on a long stretch of A-road or motorway (or a drive from Bilbao to Morocco...), it's an immense mile-muncher with loads of usable interior space. Si. <This is my name.

I eat rat poison.

A man ain't truly been insulted until he stands buck naked in front of a woman and she didn't even notice. Or care.

Post #115602 30th Mar 2012 1:01pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>