Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Off Topic > Buying shares....
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
kingpleb

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Bonatti Grey
Buying shares....

Does anyone dip their toes into this on a regular basis and could recommend a good discount broker for some one off transactions as it seems to be a bit of a minefield out there and some of Initial and Annual charges seem to make sure there is no money to be made from it Sad

Anyone able to help?? FFRR MY06 facelift With TDV8 Alloys Zeros/ATR's
Mantec Sump Guard, Rigid Load liner, MY10 BT upgrade.

Post #114485 23rd Mar 2012 9:41am
alanm_3

Location: my House, unless I’m not at home, in which case I’m somewhere else.

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

I've got an online account with http://www.thesharecentre.co.uk/.

Never had any problems with them Thumbs Up Got - 2017 SDV8 Autobiography in Loire Blue
Had- 2008 TDV8 Vogue SE in Java black
Had - 2007 S/C in Stornoway Grey

Post #114489 23rd Mar 2012 9:56am
Simes

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Autobiography Black TDV8 Barolo Black

Lots of good advice here: http://www.fool.co.uk/

Their forums are quite useful too...

Post #114492 23rd Mar 2012 10:04am
MrP

England 2011 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

I use etrade - www.etrade.com "On first name terms with my local Dealer......now."

'61 Plate 5.0SC Autobiography - in Black ——— Gone
'53 plate 4.4V8 Vogue Bonatti Grey inside and out. ----- Gone

Post #114493 23rd Mar 2012 10:12am
supershuttle

England 2013 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Luxor

Lots of variables - for starters
1. Will you trade often or will you buy to hold
2. Do you wan't a nominee account or do you want paper certificates.
3. Do you want advice.
4. Will you "wrap" the shares in an ISA.

If you just want to buy a few shares and you know what you want, you need to research the charges for the value of the trade you are making - there are no real shortcuts and everyone will have a different favourite but the cheapest is the best.

I now have an account with Hargreaves Lansdown, because I invest in more just shares, they are by no means the cheapest but they have a good website and they send me all the info I need in time for my tax return.

I am not qualified to give financial advice but I know from bitter experience that the value of shares can fall and you may not get back all you invest, or even any of it - yes there can be an upside as well but you already know that.

I have a mate who's dad keeps £2,000 in a sock in his sock drawer he's had it for years and it's still worth £2,000 (ignoring inflation) I on the other hand, took advice, and against all logic and commonsense invested £5,000 in HMV not that long ago it's now worth £300, see point above about advice - sometimes it's wrong, very Censored wrong Shocked . Geoff

Post #114507 23rd Mar 2012 10:59am
Contraband

Scotland 

Do your homework is what I would suggest... What is your main reason for wanting to hold shares? That may sound silly, because you will probably say "to make money".... If so, I would spreadbet. It works for me. It could be what you are after. If you have an iPad or phone there is some great free software that will give you demo accounts that let you play the market in real time for free... Try cmc markets.
What works for me is the fact you can make money when markets are going down... And it is completely tax free.. Thumbs Up Previously..
Vogue SE TD6
Defender 90 2.4
Defender 110 TD5
Vogue 3.5 EFI

Post #114516 23rd Mar 2012 11:38am
kingpleb

Main reason is my brother has bought some in a small oil drilling exploration company as he knows a few employees who do the drilling.

Their shares are quite low priced at the minute and if i stick £100-150 while the shares are sub 60p each with such a small investment i can afford to 'lose' that money.

If however it goes the other way if they hit some of the black stuff i wont make a fortune but a small profit which i can then use in a few years time to treat the mrs.

Looked at ISA's and savings account and the return isn't great but steady.

If i wrap it up in an ISA i guess its tax free so i would likely do online and not paper(i believe paper based costs more to trade?!?)

It would be a one time type deal and in the meantime while they get dividends every year i'd likely re-invest them to get more of the shares as it would likely only buy a share or two more anyway.

Dont want advice on them as i've looked into the company and done the research and know that at worst i lose it all, at best i make some money. just like an FF, sometimes its good, sometimes its bad.

HL are recommended by Moneysavingexpert as well but they don't show fee's easily on their site.

Will have a look at the others later tonight and thanks guys, that free app could be just what the doctors after for some playing in the middle of a night shift Very Happy FFRR MY06 facelift With TDV8 Alloys Zeros/ATR's

Post #114536 23rd Mar 2012 2:11pm
Contraband

Scotland 

Just walk into a bank and get them to do it.. Before I had a trading account I got RBS to buy shares for me. Oh, and it's not a bad play, buying cheap oil shares... I lost money on 2, but bought £500 of dragon oil shares around 10/12 years ago... Cost 3p each... Sold at just over £5... Razz Previously..
Vogue SE TD6
Defender 90 2.4
Defender 110 TD5
Vogue 3.5 EFI

Post #114543 23rd Mar 2012 3:03pm
kingpleb

As expected there is signs they are good, and signs they are bad! Rolling Eyes To be expected i suppose being an uncharted type of venture.

I'll sound my banks out next week about it and try to ignore the KERCHING sounds in their heads lol FFRR MY06 facelift With TDV8 Alloys Zeros/ATR's

Post #114611 23rd Mar 2012 10:26pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1