Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General > Considering A Change - Opinions Please?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
carlos50

United Kingdom 2015 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black
Considering A Change - Opinions Please?

Hi all

Im a serial changer and I'm considering changing my 56 plate TDV8 Vogue for a 2009 BMW X6 35d in order to get a more sporty drive, better fuel economy and a franchise warranty (i have a good offer from a main dealer).

Understanding the bias towards FFRR on here i expect to be slated for it but i wonder if anyone has first hand experience of an X6 and if so what did they think?

Yes the RR is a great car but as i have found each of the 5 previous times they simply dont drive like i want from a car and i do a lot of country lane driving so tend to drive a bit more sporty that the FFRR would like. I find myself pushing on too often and the FFRR isnt meant to be driven that way, becoming obvious on the lanes at times Laughing

I want 4x4 size for comfort, don't like the Cayenne (well not always) and have owned X5, ML, RRS etc so the X6 is something different again. Yes its an acquired taste but with the right wheels, colour etc they can look quite nice IMHO. The 35d is quicker than all but the latest S/C FFRR and offers 34mpg according to the figures, i can only manage 23mpg from my remapped TDV8 and the difference is £200 per month in fuel since i use it for business but without a fuel card Sad

If anyone here has owned the X6 what did you think, how was the reliability, build quality, drive etc.

Regarding the deal, the X6 doesn't have the very latest software update so my BB 9780 isn't compatible unless its updated but the dealer wants to charge £220 for the privilege, do i have any argument so insist they do the update before i sign the contract?. I have paid £500 to hold the car but haven't seen it yet, if i opted out will i get my money back?

Thanks in advance

Carl

Post #113865 19th Mar 2012 7:50pm
A1GSS

England 

No idea about the car Shocked but personally, I'd tell the dealer to do the upgrade or the deal's off. Graham

____
Gone: 10MY L320 RR Sport HSE, Ipanema Sand
Gone: 20MY Jaguar iPace HSE, Silicon Silver
Gone: 17MY RR Evoque SE Tech, Loire Blue
Gone: 08MY Discovery 3 XS, Stornoway Grey
Gone: 07MY FFRR TDV8 Vogue, Stornoway Grey

Post #113869 19th Mar 2012 7:56pm
carlos50

Even after the deposit?. I want to use the argument that being an approved used BMW it should have all updates carried out as part of the pre sale check and guarantee. Its a Stratstone so to be expected really, should have waited on the deposit

Post #113872 19th Mar 2012 7:59pm
RRV

United Kingdom 2015 Range Rover Vogue TDV6 Santorini Black

I have just sold my RR Evoque and if it's sporty your after with RR quality then that's a better bet than any BMW IMO. If you have nothing nice to say,say nothing at all.

Post #113874 19th Mar 2012 8:11pm
carlos50

Hi RRV, i looked at the RR Evoque but the performance would be lacking with the smaller engines for what i want. I am hoping the X6 fits the bill in terms of sporty feel, performance, refinement and bulk all in one package.

The FFRR is almost as good as it gets in some aspects and i have had 6, perhaps its why i am a little bored now. I considered updates etc but dont see the point, i will get sick again a few months after that Laughing

Post #113875 19th Mar 2012 8:16pm
darrenmax

Belgium 2003 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Giverny Green

what about a new X5 M50d ? Mr. Green 2002 td6 vogue, 06 supercharged facelift

Post #113896 19th Mar 2012 9:22pm
carlos50

Too pricey for me new, plus dont want the depreciation. The hit on the FFRR TDV8 has been massive as it is Sad

Post #113900 19th Mar 2012 9:26pm
bozmandb9

If you see the car and decide not to proceed then I'd say you would get a full refund. If not contact your card issuer and do a chargeback.

The 35 engine is a peach. The x6 is marmite, so if you like this particular marmite go for it, I'm assuming you don't often have adult rear passengers.

Get the dealer to update the phone software. My god, the stuff the,y try to get away with, they really don't deserve custom at Stratstone! Range Rover-less at the moment - Pining!

Post #113906 19th Mar 2012 10:13pm
RRV

United Kingdom 2015 Range Rover Vogue TDV6 Santorini Black

You can only get a refund on a deposit IF it has NOT passed 7 days and even then only IF you have NOT seen the car. If you have seen the car and placed the deposit then you won't get it back after 7 minutes let alone 7 days I'm afraid. If you have nothing nice to say,say nothing at all.

Post #113907 19th Mar 2012 10:19pm
carlos50

Only have adult passengers now and then so its a case of aslong as I can then that will suffice.

I'm a little 50/50 on the looks but think I'd prefer the X6 over a Cayenne and with the right wheels, in black and with privacy I really like the fat stance of it.

Ref the update, I made it quite clear I wouldn't pay the price he suggested to get them to do it and will see how stubborn he is with it tomorrow. I bought over the phone, haven't seen the car yet.

Its the colour combo I like, black with light leather anbd has the wheel upgrade just no factory privacy so £300 to have a tint added.

Post #113908 19th Mar 2012 10:20pm
carlos50

Deposit left on Saturday morning and have only seen photo's.

Another frustration was the request for £250 refundable deposit to do my reg transfer. Basically I pay to have it done then give them £250 whilst the transfer is in process and they will return it once its complete. I said no way !

Post #113909 19th Mar 2012 10:23pm
DMRR

South Africa 2009 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Stornoway Grey

£105 for a reg transfer - payable to the DVLA via a Land Rover dealer..... Land Rover Addict
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Previous
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
2009 5.0V8SC Autobiography
2006 4.2V8SC Autobiography
2004 4.4V8 Vogue

Post #113910 19th Mar 2012 10:25pm
bozmandb9

I'd say unless they buck up their ideas and look after you properly, or you love the car and have to have it, then get your deposit back. Once these things start off frustrating they very rarely turn out great.

I'd wait till you find the right car from the right dealer, and you feel in control and looked after! Range Rover-less at the moment - Pining!

Post #113926 20th Mar 2012 12:22am
kingpleb

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Bonatti Grey

If you need sporty and big and more mpg why not get an a6 3.0TDi Quatrro Avant?? Lots of space, comfy enough for back lane hooning and much better MPG??

Or just get a fun car for whizzing round in and drive the FFRR like its meant to be Very Happy, and waft along the roads in real comfort.......

If you can only get the same out of a TDV8 i get from a TD6 with some hooning then there is no way you will see that increased MPG from and X6.

Numbers on paper mean squat in this country. Looking at the ones for the states is better as they doa much more realistic tests but don't forget their MPG is different to ours but is usefull to compare the FF against an X6..

Also check Youtube for X6 vs Range Rover..... Very Happy nuff said really!

If you want to hanker round corners at speed fit some 22" rims and road biased tyres and consider a suspension lowering session with a diagnostic machine.

Then maybe get some underbody protection as well as it will lower the CoG and also give better underfloor dynamics, as standard the RR/D4/RRS are rubbish in this area Sad

Then get some Pagid Blue or Grey pads for up front and grooved and dimpled discs(dont go for drilled as they will eventually crack and prove to be a waste of money).

Just IMO of course but the X6 isnt worth it and if they are already trying to squeeze money out of you for software upgrades... Well pah to that idea i say! £700 would get you some decent 22"s or about 5 tanks of fuel nearly! FFRR MY06 facelift With TDV8 Alloys Zeros/ATR's
Mantec Sump Guard, Rigid Load liner, MY10 BT upgrade.

Post #113928 20th Mar 2012 12:39am
DaveAngel

2015 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Barolo Black

Just my two pence worth, but if its enthusitic driving fun you want, and you want the cockpit size of a 4x4, why not try a 5 series BMW with a decent engine.

The BMWs are better balanced that the audi's for a sporty drive, but anything jacked up to 4x4 levels isn't going to be the same as a proper salon.

I actually quite like the x6, but see it a bit of a half way house.

Better still, swap your FFRR for an older one and buy something really quick as a second car - caterham anybody? __________________
2015 FFRR SDV8
2011 FFRR TDV8 4.4 - Gone
2005 FFRR TDV6 - Gone

Post #114124 20th Mar 2012 10:52pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1