Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General > How many L322 owners have experience of the orginal Classic?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 8 12345678>
Print this entire topic · 
Flashman

England 2011 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Santorini Black
How many L322 owners have experience of the orginal Classic?

Having owned my 2004/05 L322 Td6 for a year now, I have to say I am bowled over by how great a car it is (touch wood).

Reliability has been amazing (touch wood), and it seems as nimble and enthusiastic as many sports cars I have owned (touch wood).

My first foray into the LR brand was with my 1972 series 3 back in 1996, a car that after a botched replacement clutch seemed to run without oil or working brakes. I was truly astounded by what this car could put up with and how it kept going on when all other cars would collapse. From this car, I got my respect for the true LR brand.

After a few years gap, I got a late classic (1994) with all the electrics and air suspension. I hit problem after problem with it, but when it worked it always gave me a grin, and I still see it as a great looking car and the true original. The grandfather of the L322 and still something to respect. I'm still tempted to get another one, albeit one without all the bells and whistles of electronics and air suspension.

So I was wondering how many on this board have experience with the original ancestors of the Rangie, be it the Classic or the awesome Series/Defenders and if they have any stories that prove what an unusual and astonishing make LR has been.

Tom Tom

Current Drive
2011 4.4 TDV8 Autobiography - Santorini Black - Ivory Leather

Previous Drives
2004 Model Vogue Td6 (Touchscreen) - Java Black - Parchment Leather
1994 RR Classic 3.9 V8 Soft dash - Niagara Grey - Grey Leather
1972 Series III SWB Safari - Green (Hand Painted) - Black Plastic

Post #110153 29th Feb 2012 9:55pm
verydisco

United Kingdom 2002 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Tangiers Orange

I have been in the "Classic" boat, a lovely 1981 V8 3 door, cream on tan.

Lovely to drive, overall reliable and going anywhere once properly equiped with AT.

I'd love either (or both) a 1970 or a 1996 LSE AND a CSK...

But where do you put all the toys then... Thumbs Up

other Landies owned are indicated below:

RANGE ROVER TDV8 HSE, Stornaway Grey, on Sand
DISCOVERY III (LR3) TdV6 SE
RANGE ROVER Td6 Vogue , Bonatti Grey, on Grey
DISCOVERY III (LR3) TdV6 S
DISCOVERY II Td5 (x3 !)
DISCOVERY I 300 Tdi (x2)
RANGE ROVER Classic 3.5L V8
DISCOVERY I 200 Tdi (X2)

Last edited by verydisco on 29th Feb 2012 10:25pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #110156 29th Feb 2012 10:22pm
47p2

Scotland 

I had a 1994 LSE a few years ago. As you say great when they are working, but they drove like a 1960s Land Rover. The L322 is a massive improvement

Post #110157 29th Feb 2012 10:23pm
Vogue

United Kingdom 

my first "car" was a LR series 3, owned nothing but LR & RR's since 1973. I still have one of my RR Classics, 86k genuine miles, FLRSH, mint, 3.9 V8 10 mpg Cool - won't sell her! and she will comfortably leave a RRS 2.7 standing. And she sounds like a propper V8, with a dammn good throbbing beat, not like these modern strangled V8's

Did my early courting in a Classic with a rug, fridge, champagne and strawberries Cool Cool the ladieeeeeeees - err well Wink

Post #110162 29th Feb 2012 10:38pm
Flashman

England 2011 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Santorini Black

lol, the originals have the something about them. A refined taste up for a challenge, that goes for the classic as well as the ladies....... Tom

Current Drive
2011 4.4 TDV8 Autobiography - Santorini Black - Ivory Leather

Previous Drives
2004 Model Vogue Td6 (Touchscreen) - Java Black - Parchment Leather
1994 RR Classic 3.9 V8 Soft dash - Niagara Grey - Grey Leather
1972 Series III SWB Safari - Green (Hand Painted) - Black Plastic

Post #110174 29th Feb 2012 10:53pm
ahebron

New Zealand 

Just selling the last iteration of the Classic RR.
Its my old 300 TDi Discovery, great old wagon.
First LR was nearly 20 years ago and it was a 1985 110 County V8 on LPG. Gotta love those sliding windows. I sold that to finance buying my house.

I have a strong memory from childhood from the early '70s of my dad being loaned an early RR 2 door green with beige vinyl trim. I always wanted to own one but have ended up with my 2003 FFRR TD6 Green with ivory leather trim. Still would love an early RR.

Adrian

Post #110202 1st Mar 2012 6:13am
mercs600

England 2002 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Java Black

In the past 12 years I have owned 2 x classics (1994 5 door vogue and a 1994 LSE) 1 X discovery 300 TDI , 1 x series 3 109 , 2 x 101 gun tractors and 1 x l322 vogue - could say I'm a true fan. Although if it wasn't for enthusiasts like us they would all be in the scrap yards and everyone would be driving around in JapCr*p Very Happy Thumbs Up Got to say though the L322 is by far head and shoulders above the rest of them Thumbs Up

Post #110204 1st Mar 2012 6:31am
iozrob

United States 

Started with the Mk3s (back in August 2002) and have had 4 since then. Last year, upgraded to a 2010 RR SC. Then proceeded to buy my first Classics, and love them all. They all have their own character!

Post #110205 1st Mar 2012 7:06am
SteveMFr
Site Sponsor

See sig.

I don't sell my old cars. They are simply added to the collection. Razz 
RRC 2Dr, RRC 4Dr,
P38, and 2 L322s
(wife thinks I'm nuts - prob right, too)

Post #110206 1st Mar 2012 7:19am
markdotreed

United Kingdom 

I have a '93 Vogue SE as well as my L322. I also (until recently) had an '85 90 V8 which was fun.
I've had less problems with my classic than my L322 (but the L322 is 100 times more complicated) and I think the classic's V8 burble sounds nicer, but then the L322 is the every day car out of the two.

There are some really nice ones out there for sale although early ones (especially 2 door) are going through the roof at the moment...
Some examples of what people think 2 doors are worth... I'm not convinced myself. There are even a couple with Graeme Hunt in the Late £70K's !!! The Green 2 door on the front page of Graeme Hunt was offered to me for £7K three years ago. I'm kicking myself now that I ummed and arred and missed out. I think I've seen it back up for early £20k's since.

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C285888

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C284612

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C280364

this is almost identical to mine and where they are financially if they're up together. Personally I think if you can get a classic and keep it up together it's not a bad future investment.

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C284864

This may ne worth a look
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Range-Rover-Vogu...43ad6f469d

Edited to add..... Are you Harry from the dark side (I'm intrigued) Regards
Mark

2009 D4; 1993 Classic 3.9 VSE

Post #110210 1st Mar 2012 8:38am
xjsracer44

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE Supercharged Java Black

We had a 1988 3.5 Vogue for 8 years, we did 140,000 miles in her and other than routine maintenance all she needed was a power steering rack - amazing car.

Then a 1995 4.6 HSE which had 3 new engines, rear axle, HVAC unit, crankshaft sensor, air suspension etc all replaced under warranty - nightmare car although we kept her for 5 years until my wife didn't want it back from the dealer as she didn't trust it anymore.

2003 4.4 Vogue bought new as a 40th birthday present to myself, great car.

2007 4.2 Supercharged Vogue SE now with 80,000 miles & counting.

IMHO you can't beat the feel good factor from a FFRR and the L322 is the true descendant of the Classic. I always fancy another Classic, especially a CSK but I already have too many cars.

Post #110211 1st Mar 2012 8:45am
IanV8

Scotland 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Santorini Black

I bought my first classic in 1975, it was a 1971 Sahara Dust with vinyl seats no rear window wiper and virtually nothing electrical.

It only had two fuses for the whole car, there was an inline fuse for the optional radio, and the alternator was rated at 36 amps.

It was a lovely car to drive and if you think what else was around in the early 70s it was so different.

I used to get questioned whenever it was parked and had lots of offers from people wanting to buy it.

And it came with a starting handle, the V8 was easy to start as it was low compression and did not have far to go to get a cylinder to fire.

I ran a later classic, it had cloth seats and a rear wiper, for a month with no starter motor using the handle every time.

Ian

Post #110212 1st Mar 2012 9:02am
Bellini

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Zermatt Silver

My first proper experience of a Classic was back in the late 90's when my then Scirocco needed a new clutch and the local garage owner lent me his blue T-plate 3-door for a few days.

It was the first RR I ever drove and the first V8. Sounded gorgeous, despite being tatty. Didn't really want to give it back, but I was earning a pittance as a Design Engineer back then and my Scirocco did almost 40 to the gallon.

Many years passed and I bought two early V8 D1's in the past two years. The first was a '93 3,9 Auto when I was living and working in Australia during 2010. Bought it from a place in Melbourne. I was over 3,000km away and had it shipped across to the North West. New heads and LPG. And absolutely no rust! Nice! But the heads hadn't been done properly and they blew 2 months later. Luckily, I managed to get most of my money back. But it left a positive impression of woofly V8's and effortless waftability. So many RR parts on there. Better, in my opinion, than a new Prado. I had the use of a Prado out there as well. And a HiLux. Reliable, if bland.

Then, just before arriving back in the UK, a friend invited me to buy another '93 V8 D1 over here. This time, 46,000 miles from new and the 3.5 injection engine with loads of history and completely original. Tatty, but it's surprising what some polish and a good service, plus a few friends, will do to a vehicle. It was almost like new and was my version of an affordable everyday RRC. Only paid £700 for it. Ran it totally trouble free since last March until just recently when it made way for my current L322. Sold it without loss including what I'd spent servicing and waxoyling it. And even then, I reckon it went for less than its true worth.

The original plan was always to buy a good Classic or P38 Overfinch, but none showed up in the time I was looking. Opened the net wider and that was how I came, in a roundabout way, to own an L322. Si. <This is my name.

I eat rat poison.

A man ain't truly been insulted until he stands buck naked in front of a woman and she didn't even notice. Or care.

Post #110219 1st Mar 2012 9:25am
fisha

2015 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aruba

Yes - I've had a couple of 4 door RRC's in the past. the second of which is the car beyond all I've regretted selling more than any ... and I only sold it for £400 !

The first one I bought was this one:

It was quite tatty tbh. I ended up rebuilding the top end, but the insides were caked full of the sludge. It died when one day I floored it away from the lights in 1st gear, dipped the clutch and let off the loud pedal and heard a massive bang and rumble from the engine and smoke out the bonnet ... I'd blown piston rings. If I revved the engine, the dipstick pushed up 3 inches after that !

It also went on fire one time when the loom caught fire on the exhaust manifolds ... that was handy whilst coming down a long hill with a T-junction at the bottom. I dont think i've pressed a pedal so hard to stop!

A couple of years later, I got this for free ... it was a cat C write off and as long as I could get it back on the road, it was mine.

It got a full engine rebuild by me ( down to the last nut, bolt and bearing ) + LPG, 1" spring lift and 1" body lift, rear seats out and LPG tank centrally placed where the old rear seats were.

And in its final form looked like this:

A video of one of its last outings with me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1MyX_GWcdk

Lastly, I once made a wee effort to try and source this beastie, but I couldn't get a hold of the owner ....

That would have been a cool RRC ! V8 or else ...

Post #110226 1st Mar 2012 10:09am
IanV8

Scotland 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Santorini Black

Fisha

Painted black that six wheeler would have made a great hearse.

Ian

Post #110232 1st Mar 2012 10:45am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 8 12345678>