Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Freezing Diesel
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

There's a discussion on the Defender forum about when fuel is waxing etc, some useful info there:

http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic11230.html Discovery 4 HSE
1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF
1982 Series 3 Hard Top

*Gone:L462 D5 HSE LUX, L663 Defender 110 HSE, Discovery 3 HSE, 2014MY Range Rover Sport 5.0 Supercharged AB Dynamic; L405 Exec Vogue SE 4.4, 5.0 Supercharged Autobiography, Defender TDCi XS CSW, Defender TD5 HT, Vogue SE TDV8, Vogue TD6, RRSport SC 4.2V8, Classic 3.9 Vogue Auto, Land Rover Series 3 SWB

Post #105863 7th Feb 2012 11:57am
kingpleb

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Bonatti Grey

Good read RRUK Smile

Iirc they don't reccomend mixing petrol in some diesels these days but not sure if the tdv8 is one of those affected..

With modern high pressure diesels the tank fuel should warm/thin after a few minutes of idling as the extreme pressure heats the fuel a bit before returning any excess to the tank Smile some cara have fuel COOLERS fitted on their return to tank feeds Smile FFRR MY06 facelift With TDV8 Alloys Zeros/ATR's
Mantec Sump Guard, Rigid Load liner, MY10 BT upgrade.

Post #105879 7th Feb 2012 1:29pm
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

Thanks - I don't fancy petrol in the diesel with the TDV8 - I hear that modern high performance engines really don't like it

The Defender thread is good - they even have their own Mick !!!!

I'll stick with the Wurth additive & local diesel I think - the additive turned up today so I'm all set Very Happy

Post #106004 7th Feb 2012 9:25pm
Dixy

2016 Range Rover Vogue SDV8 Loire Blue

Mine unlocked and started fine at christmass, but then went in to limp home mode which can only be reset with OBDII.
Allthough the car was totaly covered with snow it had not been unduly cold, the garage that came to my rescue confirmed that there had been a national problem with inadequate addative by the fuel companies and it had been his 5th call out that day.

Click image to enlarge

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  letters not necessarily in the right order

Post #106974 12th Feb 2012 7:44pm
magicbob

2003 Range Rover SE Td6 Epsom Green

nicedayforit wrote:
What you need is a very large duvet. Smile Thumbs Up

What you really need is a holiday down under...cooled down a bit this week....only 31 c today.
Magicbob Laughing

Post #107020 12th Feb 2012 11:06pm
Rambles

2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

wind chill can effect anything.
in humans, the biggest causes of the chilling effect are the convection and moisture evaporation.

with inaminate objects.....like a car...all wind chill might do is cool the object quicker to the ambient temperature. Once ambient temperature is reached, the temperature will go no lower.

Post #107171 13th Feb 2012 8:42pm
nicedayforit

England 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Giverny Green

It will if the sufaces are wet and latent heat comes into play.

Post #107175 13th Feb 2012 9:04pm
Rambles

2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

in sub zero the surfaces will not be wet for long, so the inaminate object will reach ambient temperature soon enough.
the wet will either evaporate and the surface will become dry....or the wet will freeze (oh! latent heat GIVEN out when the water freezes !)
latent heat usually turning from water to gas absorbs energy, giving a cooling effect. So conversely, as the water changes state into a solid, it gives out energy. Is that what you meant ? Perhaps not, but that is the physics.
Laughing

Post #107177 13th Feb 2012 9:17pm
nicedayforit

England 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Giverny Green

Not really.
I was thinking of road vehicles running on salted roads where the fuel lines and tanks etc can get below ambient temperature by virtue of running on wet roads or snow covered roads. Such that in winter they come to a grinding halt due to diesel waxing at ambient temperatures somewhat above -15C , the point to which diesel in the uk is protected from waxing in winter.
Given that the ambient temperature is well above the waxing point the only way the diesel can become colder is due to latent heat loss due to the wet surfaces which generally appear not to freeze as you would expect in winter due to the relatively high salt content of the water / salt solution wetting them due to spray etc.
Seen it happen many times when it really shouldn't occur.

Post #107190 13th Feb 2012 9:55pm
tomthevet

Scotland 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Tonga Green

Mikeyjd wrote:
The previous poster was correct. Only humans feel "windchill". It is a theoretical measurement whereby the temperature actually feels colder due to wind effects on human skin in a cold climate etc.

Easy way to explain. On a cold day put your arm outside your car window when travelling at speed. It feels colder than when stationery, but the outside temperature is actually the same. Very Happy

The temperatures on both thermometers will be identical if their surfaces are bone dry. Wind chill is mostly about surface moisture and rate of cooling, so the other posts are correct in that the rate of cooling will be quicker but it being impossible for the actual temperature to go below ambient is incorrect.
The temperature of a moist surface in wind (as long as the air humidity is not 100%) will be colder (whether flesh or metal!) due to the absorption of latent heat of vapourisation mostly. This is the principle of the wet bulb depression in whirling psychrometers used to measure air humidity.

What the air humidity in the alps is however remains a mystery as I have no idea!!!

Just my wee sciency input!
T

Post #107211 13th Feb 2012 11:12pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12