Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > How often do you need to fiddle with the center vent wheel?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
bergxu

United States 2005 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Zambezi Silver
How often do you need to fiddle with the center vent wheel?

Gents,

Just curious as to whether anyone else’s FFRR has a strange quirk with the thumbwheel underneath the center fascia vents. It seems that when I have my system set to “AUTO” during the winter and both dials set to 84 degrees (MAX) I get nice, toasty hot air from the footwell vents but only cool to *maybe* lukewarm air from the fascia vents (with thumbwheel at three red dots) unless I override the AUTO setting and select face level vents, in which case I then get equally hot air from the fascia. Now, if I go back into AUTO mode, the air goes back mostly to the footwell vents and what is left blowing from the fascia is now warm to the point that I need to dial the thumbwheel down to maybe one blue dot to cool things off. Anyways, sorry for the confusion, point is that the thumbwheel doesn’t seem to do a whole hell of a lot unless you fiddle with various climate control settings after which point it’ll regulate from hot to cool and vice-versa. Anyone else experience this? I must say, there are very few things I dislike about my FFRR, but the climate control is tops on the list! Cheers,

Aaron

Post #106698 10th Feb 2012 8:51pm
ebajema

New Zealand 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Galway Green

If you haven't got the manual with the car, try to find it online and download it. I have found online a while ago (Manual US market as mine is a NAS like yours). The description is as follows :

When the air conditioning air distribution control is set to either Auto or Face and Foot outlet, the temperature of the air emitted through the foot/face level vents can be finely adjusted to differentiate between foot and face temperature. Rotate the thumbwheel (1), towards the left (red indicator) for warm air and to the right (blue indicator) for cooler air.

Hope this helps. MY 2010 5.0 SC Galway green and sand interior!!
Have the Faultmate MSV2 Extreme to be tinkering with the settings etc. !!

Post #106705 10th Feb 2012 9:57pm
bergxu

ebajema;

Thanks for the reply. I understand the functionality of the thumbwheel but curious then why I have cool air from fascia vents when in AUTO mode, but hot air from footwell vents. Why not warm from up top too since I'm asking for heat down below? Cheers,

Aaron

Post #106707 10th Feb 2012 10:03pm
ebajema

If I understand it correctly the wheel allows you to change the temperature from the face level vents from cold to warm or vice versa, while the foot well is all warm. And according to the manual it should work in auto setting as well.

So basically you set the foot temperature and then "fine tune" the face level temperature while the foot temp stays the same. Or on a sunny day when your face gets sun, you can keep the footwell warm while you have cooler air on your face.

I will have a try on my car and play a bit with it tomorrow (although it is quite hot here, 30+ C all the time). MY 2010 5.0 SC Galway green and sand interior!!

Post #106714 10th Feb 2012 10:11pm
bergxu

Correct, except that when my temp dials are both at MAX heat and the thumbwheel is on the three red dots, I still get cool air from the fascia vents unless I manually override the AUTO mode and switch to face and foot level vents then go back to AUTO mode. Weird.... Cheers,

Aaron

Post #106717 10th Feb 2012 10:22pm
ebajema

Sounds like something is wrong with the controls. May be software related. Not sure if that is actually controllable by the Testbook/Faultmate and the likes. Maybe time to check with a good dealer or maybe someone on the forum may know why it is not working as it should.

Cheers, Genie. MY 2010 5.0 SC Galway green and sand interior!!

Post #106718 10th Feb 2012 10:31pm
bozmandb9

I think it may be that you have a problem with your FSR (Final Stage Resistor), I say this because I have similar issues with my car, but getting worse.

When the system is working properly, it's fantastic, and you never need to touch the controls, however when the FSR starts to fail, it seems to start being pretty random, and get worse from there. Mine has started turning off at random too.

I now have a new FSR on order! Not an overly expensive part, doesn't look too tricky to fit, and seems to fail after 5-6 years! Thumbs Up Range Rover-less at the moment - Pining!

Post #106719 10th Feb 2012 10:34pm
SteveMFr
Site Sponsor

Mmmmmm. Much as I love my L322, one of the things my P38 STILL does better is to regulate the temperature. In the P38, I set the temp and go. For hours. And everything is fine. During the first year of ownership I thought my L322 had a serious problem: I leave home on a cold day, the car becomes increasingly warm - as do I - then it regulates back down to where I am uncomfortablly cool (I have a 40 minute commute). If I regulate the temp down in the 'increasingly warm' phase I really freeze when the Hevac regulates back down.

I've since learned that my car is not defective- this is just a L322 quirk. And I've learned to set the temp control on the center vents by season.

Living with the too warms and too cools is best. Any changes you make are multiplied in the next up or down cycle... 
RRC 2Dr, RRC 4Dr,
P38, and 2 L322s
(wife thinks I'm nuts - prob right, too)

Post #106720 10th Feb 2012 10:36pm
47p2

Scotland 

Just keep it on at full pelt and open a window when the temperature inside gets too much for you Thumbs Up

Post #106722 10th Feb 2012 10:39pm
ebajema

I had a quick look at the Faultmate settings related to HVAC and there is potentially one setting that may have an effect.

It is called auto flap program and it can be set for hot country or other. Not sure what it does and not sure how it is set on my car but maybe someone else knows what it means.

I do plan to look at these settings next time I hook up the Faultmate to see if mine are set for hot country !! MY 2010 5.0 SC Galway green and sand interior!!

Post #106723 10th Feb 2012 10:39pm
bergxu

SteveMFr wrote:
Mmmmmm. Much as I love my L322, one of the things my P38 STILL does better is to regulate the temperature. In the P38, I set the temp and go. For hours. And everything is fine. During the first year of ownership I thought my L322 had a serious problem: I leave home on a cold day, the car becomes increasingly warm - as do I - then it regulates back down to where I am uncomfortablly cool (I have a 40 minute commute). If I regulate the temp down in the 'increasingly warm' phase I really freeze when the Hevac regulates back down.

I've since learned that my car is not defective- this is just a L322 quirk. And I've learned to set the temp control on the center vents by season.

Living with the too warms and too cools is best. Any changes you make are multiplied in the next up or down cycle...

I think you nailed it man. What you describe is what I experience and I think you're right, it might just be an L322 foible. Rolling Eyes Cheers,

Aaron

Post #106729 10th Feb 2012 10:59pm
tsadpt

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Oslo Blue

My knob will easily slip on the cogs behind. Shocked

Sometimes a bit of over zealous rotation makes it click too far, resulting a different setting from what you thought you had. Can you smoothly rotate it so you can go from three blue dots to three red dots? If not, this might be your problem. The solution is if it stops short of the three dots, gently keep rotating it and it will hop over the cog teeth until it shows three dots...

Post #107846 17th Feb 2012 7:01pm
jim2RRs

United States 2005 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Chawton White

Mine was blowing ice cold while the feet were warm.
I removed the vent from the dash to discover the little cable that runs from the red dot/blue dot wheel to whatever flap it controls had slipped out of the cheap plastic clip that is supposed to "anchor" the cable jacket.

Think hand brake cable on your bicycle. (I have an $80 bicycle)
Pull the brake lever, the jacket of the cable is held in place by the brake lever bracket, squeezing the brake handle pulls the cable inside the jacket.
All the cable fixings are metal.

Back to $80,000 range rover.
about what you'd expect. Cheap plastic bits.
Without drilling holes in the plastic, there was no way to even use a ziptie to hold the cable jacket in place.
So, I set it to max red (for winter), put it back together.
Told my son not to move it, and that I'd fix it come summer.

How much did Land Rover save on that? A dollar? two?
Very disappointing that the engineers decided to use such garbage in a "high-end" vehicle.
Then again, this isn't my first Land Rover, so overpriced poor design was pretty much what I expected. Jim
2000 NAS HSE
2005 NAS HSE

Post #107868 17th Feb 2012 10:49pm
Mikeyjd

Wales 2003 Range Rover SE Td6 Zambezi Silver

Mine works fine. Maybe I am lucky lol No longer FF owner but still interested. Present car Jaguar XE

Previous car Td6 SE

Previous LR- Disco 300TDi Auto

Post #107881 18th Feb 2012 12:57am
Richcl

United Kingdom 2002 Range Rover HSE Td6 Zermatt Silver

Same with mine, pulled centre vents out to find cable attachment broken, agree, cheap and nasty.

Post #107883 18th Feb 2012 1:50am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1