Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General > Ok a call for help!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
barrieeld

Ok a call for help!

I've posted earlier contemplating selling the SC for a 3k profit but even with that it still leaves me with not a lot to replace it with?

Do I get the thing gas converted? If so whom in scotland would do I reliable job on the 4.2 engine also what probs would this cause?

Or do I sell pocket the 3k and wait till another bargain comes up?

I would only go for a vogue se in future if it were a range rover if not what is a good alternative?

I have a week to decide... Range Rover SC 35th Anniversary 2006

Post #105568 5th Feb 2012 2:20pm
bozmandb9

At this time of year, given what you paid for it, I would try selling it for a £5k profit at least.

But it depends, as you say, your problem will be what to replace it with. I sometime contemplate selling mine, but anything I buy to replace it will be a lesser car, and I'll probably end up buying another one after a few months!

How many miles do you do?

As for getting it gas converted, do a search on the forum, let's not open up this debate yet again. Many people will say you'll kill the engine, but me and a few others are running converted S/C's without issue. People have had problems in the past though. To me it's well worthwhile, I've saved the cost of my conversion in six months. I would expect to sell the car easier and for more money due to the conversion too. Thumbs Up Range Rover-less at the moment - Pining!

Post #105573 5th Feb 2012 2:32pm
barrieeld

Hi bozman, that's the problem what do you buy? I know the SC Market is going to be hit heavily even more when the price of TDV8's start to come down to the 18k mark.

I love the car I don't love the fuel, I do around 250 miles a week at it costs me around £300 a month on fuel. Because it's city driving I rarely see 12mpg!!

If I could have an economical supercharged it would be ideal. As if I sold the car what could I buy? A cls, an s class Audi a8???

What's the performance like on LPG? And what system is best for the supercharged? Range Rover SC 35th Anniversary 2006

Post #105588 5th Feb 2012 3:40pm
JOKER

Scotland 

Hell of a stutter you have there barrieeld …. Laughing Laughing

Post #105591 5th Feb 2012 3:45pm
barrieeld

Bloody iPhone Mick.... Smile Range Rover SC 35th Anniversary 2006

Post #105592 5th Feb 2012 3:52pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

sttttuuuuuttterrrrr sorted.. Thumbs Up ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #105596 5th Feb 2012 4:51pm
kingpleb

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Bonatti Grey

LPG joules be better really due to its burn rate and the fact it should have a rolling road and on road mapping session to get it really setup.

If you do sell I'd get the tdv8 as for your milage it's the best thing you can do money wise...

Problem is when you sell the others won't feel as good Very Happy FFRR MY06 facelift With TDV8 Alloys Zeros/ATR's
Mantec Sump Guard, Rigid Load liner, MY10 BT upgrade.

Post #105599 5th Feb 2012 5:19pm
bozmandb9

barrieeld wrote:
Hi bozman, that's the problem what do you buy? I know the SC Market is going to be hit heavily even more when the price of TDV8's start to come down to the 18k mark.

I love the car I don't love the fuel, I do around 250 miles a week at it costs me around £300 a month on fuel. Because it's city driving I rarely see 12mpg!!

If I could have an economical supercharged it would be ideal. As if I sold the car what could I buy? A cls, an s class Audi a8???

What's the performance like on LPG? And what system is best for the supercharged?

I don't think the S/C will be hit hard by any of the diesels falling in value, it's already heavily discounted by comparison, to compensate for the fuel costs, and it's arguably undervalued by comparison to other cars.

I can sympathise on the 'not loving the fuel cost' though. On your figures you would actually be paying over £500 per month on fuel, so you're either getting better economy than the computer shows, or doing fewer miles, if you are spending £300.

I do mostly rural mileage, and I can see from 200-250 miles per tank of LPG, which costs me from £50-£60 (I buy at 66.9 or 76.9 pence per litre, 90 litre tank, 80% useable). That may sound great, but then there's the petrol, and it can use from very little, to quite a lot!

Basically it switches to petrol when the engine is warmed up, so in very cold weather, on short journeys, its always on petrol. On a very long journey, it's on LPG all the time. Lots of small journeys will use more gas. I'd say on average, with temp at 7 degrees c it takes around 1 mile to switch over.

Performance on LPG is fine, takes the edge of slightly, but stays on LPG right the way up the rev range. I've used BRC systems, and would recommend them highly! Thumbs Up Range Rover-less at the moment - Pining!

Post #105602 5th Feb 2012 5:25pm
EVOeng

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Java Black

I would not sell it, I sold my 4.4 V8 and now I really miss it. The replacement Volvo only manages 30ish mpg and I used to get about 25mpg on average with my Range Rover.

Stick with it, there is nothing to replace it with. Saying that - a friend is also selling a Bentley CGT. Still a 4WD and a W12 to play around with.

Post #105606 5th Feb 2012 5:30pm
Vogue

United Kingdom 

Ram, a 19 year old getting average 25 mpg out of a 4.4 petrol Range Rover. HOW???? are you driving at 45 mph everywhere and free wheeling down every hill??

My diesel everyday driver does 26 average and the petrols are down to 10 to 12 mpg...

Post #105616 5th Feb 2012 6:50pm
barrieeld

I'm maybe do less miles then as my spend is pretty much £70 a week.

From the looks of it LPG won't be suited to my stop start driving?

If that's the case it's either suck up the fuel costs which are hard to justify considering what I use the car for...keep it as a 3rd car for the weekend or sell it. Range Rover SC 35th Anniversary 2006

Post #105618 5th Feb 2012 6:59pm
bozmandb9

I suspect you may be right Barrie. I know some LPG users spend very little on petrol, and you can get away with using no petrol, you can get the car to start on LPG, you can adjust the settings so that it switches over earlier, but then you would be dicing with longevity of the engine, particularly on this engine.

But another thing to consider is this. You've owned the car a few months, and your depreciation is? -£3-5k (i.e. you're well in the money). I suspect you'll find that it'll be a long time, if ever, before the car is worth less than you paid for it. Average depreciation on a blob mobile is around £500 per month. That buys a lot of fuel! Thumbs Up Range Rover-less at the moment - Pining!

Post #105622 5th Feb 2012 7:22pm
kingpleb

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Bonatti Grey

As above you can force it to start on LPG which with a SC shouldn't pose too much of a problem as it generates plenty of heat and is further helped if you use the Park Heater before getting in as well as its the coolant circuit that heats it up and it soon gets warm on most SC's Smile FFRR MY06 facelift With TDV8 Alloys Zeros/ATR's
Mantec Sump Guard, Rigid Load liner, MY10 BT upgrade.

Post #105628 5th Feb 2012 8:14pm
barrieeld

The thing is too the car has been faultless in the last 4 months, the work that the car has had done to it is pretty comprehensive, including a new gearbox fitted underwarrenty in oct 2009, maybe if I bought another I wouldn't be so lucky Sad Range Rover SC 35th Anniversary 2006

Post #105637 5th Feb 2012 10:16pm
bozmandb9

Unless you need to sell it, keep it.

You're lucky to find a good un. You won't get anywhere near the car for your money with anything else, and if you sell it you'll miss it and want another one.

Don't worry about the offer you currently have on it. I suspect you could e-bay it in six months and still get £15k for it no problem.

Thumbs Up Range Rover-less at the moment - Pining!

Post #105641 5th Feb 2012 10:41pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1