Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General > what % off for a used FFRR from a dealer?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
SuperlightR

what % off for a used FFRR from a dealer?

Hi
Looking into getting a 4.4 FFRR looking at £56 to £59 range. With haggling what sort of money off would you gents look to get on a car at the above sort of price from a main dealer?

There ais a nice on for £57850

Any inside tips with haggling for a FFRR?

regards
James

Post #104063 28th Jan 2012 10:54am
rwilson

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Zermatt Silver

Would say it would have about 10% across it possibly a bit more, but I'm no expert.

Going by your user name, would you use it to tow a Caterham behind it per chance??

Post #104207 29th Jan 2012 10:16am
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

How many have you seen at £56 fella? I'll have as many as I can at that price... Given the 10% rule it means you'll buy it for just over fifty quid! Result!!! Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Sorry I couldn't resist...

Craig Thumbs Up

Post #104210 29th Jan 2012 10:34am
Emperor Mong

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Autobiography 2.0 PHEV Loire Blue

Take a look at Parkers

It'll give you a trade in price that won't be a million miles from what the dealer paid. Then you will understand the bid/offer spread.

However, unless you are very patient, you will find that main dealers won't budge much - they need to make a margin. There is that very expensive marble floored showroom that needs to be paid for and the dolly bird on reception, salesman's comp. They have real costs - delivery, HPI, prep, paint, dings, wheel refurb, warranty, service, tyres etc. When you are looking at the car, it might have had a couple of grand put into it to make it shiny enough for the forecourt.

If you are patient and buy at a time when the dealer needs to meet a sales target or shift something that has sat for too long, you can get a deal (I bought mine in Christmas week as the dealer needed to get some sales before year end).

Post #104216 29th Jan 2012 11:50am
SuperlightR

Thanks

Laughing be nice if they were 50 squid !

aiming to actually spend £55k ( £15 -17 trade in, cash £15k and finance of £25k ) so perhaps ones on at £60k may be up for a haggle. I imagine End of a month/quarter my help to get a good deal froma dealer.

Noted a few dealers to avoid from reading the other posts. Any views on Lewes in Sussex?

Post #104218 29th Jan 2012 11:56am
SuperlightR

Cam-Tech-Craig wrote:
How many have you seen at £56 fella? I'll have as many as I can at that price... Given the 10% rule it means you'll buy it for just over fifty quid! Result!!! Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Sorry I couldn't resist...

Craig Thumbs Up

used to be heavily into 7's but not any more. Fast cars got knocked out of me after a bad road crash !! went from fast cars to super fast cars - 7's & Porkers then to a Defender after the crash ! now slowly getting back into zippy cars but wife has a D3 which has been great and as my pipe and slippers are used more often a FFRR has a strong appeal. Smile Very Happy

Last edited by SuperlightR on 29th Jan 2012 12:11pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #104219 29th Jan 2012 12:04pm
47p2

Scotland 
Re: what % off for a used FFRR from a dealer?

SuperlightR wrote:

There ais a nice on for £57850

I would think you would be able to pick this up for no less than £56k with some serious bargaining but doubt if you would manage to bag it for any less.

Best time to strike a bargain is a few days before the end of the month, as Mong says, they have targets to meet and if sales have been a little slow there are bargains to be had and deals to be done. Start by negotiating with the salesman then speak with the bossman as he has the final say in the matter. Don't be scared to walk away empty handed after a couple of hours trying to strike the right deal, they will by then have your details and possibly call you the next day...then renegotiate and let them drop the price even further.

Post #104220 29th Jan 2012 12:05pm
Lookers Park Royal

Good advice above. Answer is that the saving you can negotiate will vary from car to car. Vehicles that have been in stock for less than 10 days generally have the most margin, and those that have been in stock longer will have less margin or may be advertised at a loss in some cases (cash flow). As mentioned month-end is when dealers are wanting to squeeze an extra deal or two into the month, however you'd need to be able to pay/finance and collect quite quickly.

Interestingly though, over the last year or so it has become less common for dealers to let customers leave the showroom without giving it their best shot (due to there being plenty of choice courtesy of the Internet). With this in mind, if you do 'walk' because they say the deal is the best they can do and you think there is more to be had, then be prepared to call them and potentially accept their offer if you don't hear from them within 24 hours.

When there are a few appointments on one car you may find that dealers are more plucky and negotiate harder because of the demand..... Therefore if you don't agree terms and it's still on the forecourt the next week, then reiterate your offer as they may well accept it as clearly the other interested parties also walked!

Sometimes it's just a case of being in the right place at the right time and dealing with a reasonable dealership.

James Thumbs Up

Post #104247 29th Jan 2012 8:02pm
47p2

Scotland 

Thanks for the input James.

I do enjoy giving the salesman a hard time Whistle

Post #104251 29th Jan 2012 8:22pm
Lookers Park Royal

47p2 wrote:
Thanks for the input James.

I do enjoy giving the salesman a hard time Whistle

Everyone does...... Even me! Laughing Just ordered a Mini!

James Thumbs Up

Post #104252 29th Jan 2012 8:34pm
alanm_3

Location: my House, unless I’m not at home, in which case I’m somewhere else.

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Did you get a discount James?
I'd love to see 2 salesman go head to head! Thumbs Up Got - 2017 SDV8 Autobiography in Loire Blue
Had- 2008 TDV8 Vogue SE in Java black
Had - 2007 S/C in Stornoway Grey

Post #104256 29th Jan 2012 8:55pm
47p2

Scotland 

I bought a car for a mate last July, when I eventually managed to seal the deal the salesman said to me that the next time he was going to buy a car he wants me to negotiate for him Whistle

Post #104257 29th Jan 2012 8:57pm
SuperlightR

Appreciate all the replies.

Thank you.

Post #104259 29th Jan 2012 9:01pm
Lookers Park Royal

alanm_3 wrote:
Did you get a discount James?
I'd love to see 2 salesman go head to head! Thumbs Up

7% off, £500 loyalty voucher (PX a 09 plate Cooper Conv), 5 year TLC service pack and a years free insurance...... Not bad, but PCP is at 9.9% which is a bit high, so may fund differently by the time March comes.

...... Not bad for a novice!

James Thumbs Up

Post #104263 29th Jan 2012 10:06pm
kingpleb

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Bonatti Grey

Good advice from James there and research the dealer as well. Possibly don't px your current one and sell private if you can as bigger cash lump is better to negotiate with Smile

I visited stratstone in Doncaster and walked after 30minutes as the only one there that seemed partly interested was a young and new salesmen, te others just couldn't be bothered with me when I was looking to get a 25k car on finance Sad ended up paying 13k for a trade td6 Smile

I'd save some money and get something at least 12-18months old as more juggles will be sorted and it puts it in the age range before the fbh and battery drain issues which when weighed up with all the faff and dealer visits you'd end up with why waste the extra cash as the 3.6 is still a cracker and the sc great Very Happy FFRR MY06 facelift With TDV8 Alloys Zeros/ATR's
Mantec Sump Guard, Rigid Load liner, MY10 BT upgrade.

Post #104272 29th Jan 2012 10:41pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>