Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Heated Washer Jets - do they actually work?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
itguy

2006 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Cairns Blue
Heated Washer Jets - do they actually work?

Hi Everyone

Right - got my car back from the dealer yesterday and my 'next' potential issue is the heated washer jets.

Car said it was -3 outside when leaving home and the washer bottle has got a 3:4 ratio of screenwash to water (so only 25% water) and it took 12 miles before I got anything out of the washer, and even then it was only the passenger side one.

Fooked? Any way to test? FFRR TD6 06MY. Cairns Blue, Blue Hide. LR 7 Spoke 20" Wheels, S/C Grill and Vents. Privacy Glass and Side Steps

Post #9895 23rd Dec 2009 9:08am
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

Mine didn't work on Saturday either....weird, they are activated by something esle though like the heated mirrors are, can't recall the trigger event? Discovery 4 HSE
1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF
1982 Series 3 Hard Top

*Gone:L462 D5 HSE LUX, L663 Defender 110 HSE, Discovery 3 HSE, 2014MY Range Rover Sport 5.0 Supercharged AB Dynamic; L405 Exec Vogue SE 4.4, 5.0 Supercharged Autobiography, Defender TDCi XS CSW, Defender TD5 HT, Vogue SE TDV8, Vogue TD6, RRSport SC 4.2V8, Classic 3.9 Vogue Auto, Land Rover Series 3 SWB

Post #9902 23rd Dec 2009 2:08pm
Macdaddy

2003 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 V8 Java Black

My old car used to activate heated mirrors when the rear heated screen was on.

I'm sure I read in the manual they are always heated but it seems strange if that's the case. TDV8 HST Sport **Current**

4.4 V8 Autobiography and 22" wheels **Gone**

Post #9904 23rd Dec 2009 3:33pm
JOKER

Scotland 

All depends if you stipulated the Cold climate pack – heated front screen, heated front seats, heated washer jets,i think ........

Post #9905 23rd Dec 2009 4:20pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

Why would a Range Rover owner have to actually stipulate such a thing???

Surely all of these should just be there! Discovery 4 HSE
1982 Series 3 Hard Top

*Gone:L462 D5 HSE LUX, L663 Defender 110 HSE, Discovery 3 HSE, 2014MY Range Rover Sport 5.0 Supercharged AB Dynamic; L405 Exec Vogue SE 4.4, 5.0 Supercharged Autobiography, Defender TDCi XS CSW, Defender TD5 HT, Vogue SE TDV8, Vogue TD6, RRSport SC 4.2V8, Classic 3.9 Vogue Auto, Land Rover Series 3 SWB

Post #9909 23rd Dec 2009 5:43pm
itguy

2006 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Cairns Blue

Well, to be absolutely sure I've replaced both jets. They are only five quid each so seemed worthwhile.

Time will tell tomorrow morning! FFRR TD6 06MY. Cairns Blue, Blue Hide. LR 7 Spoke 20" Wheels, S/C Grill and Vents. Privacy Glass and Side Steps

Post #9910 23rd Dec 2009 5:47pm
wardpg

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Java Black

Easy to tell if the jets are heated -there are wires attached to jet unit!!!

Post #9926 23rd Dec 2009 9:47pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

One thing that DOES annoy me about the washer jets is that they don't spray across the screen more, instead we get 2 fairly weedy direct jets instead of a foamy spray like in a BMW or Jaguar.

If the water is sprayed in an arc over the screen the cleaning is more effective, with ours its up to the wipers to move the washer fluid over the screen. Pants!

More like this example...

Discovery 4 HSE
1982 Series 3 Hard Top

Post #9928 23rd Dec 2009 9:54pm
Stoich

Scotland 

Got this from the workshop manual

'Each washer jet has two ball nozzles which can rotate in their housings to obtain the optimum fluid application onto
the windscreen. Each washer jet contains a heater element which prevents the fluid freezing in the nozzles in very
cold conditions. The jet heater elements are controlled by the Automatic Temperature Control (ATC) system, which
energises the heater elements when the ambient temperature falls below a predetermined temperature.'

I just replaced on of the jets on mine as it stopped working. I am assuming it was a stuck Non Return Valve (built into each nozzle).

Hope this helps

Cheers If you like it, who cares what other people think

Post #9934 24th Dec 2009 9:58am
RRVSE

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SDV8 Corris Grey

This is one thing I've never understood with cars. I got frozen nozzles last week for the first time since I got the car , but I hadn't got around to putting any screenwash/antifreeze in ( I prefer just to use 100% water throught summer and milder months) so it was bound to happen, but heated nozzles aren't much use if the water in the pipes between the water bottle and nozzle freezes anyway. Don't know why they don't lag the pipes (or even have a fine heater wire sealed and encased withn the pipes) and had a small heater within the water bottle aswell (or have it near the FBH in the FFRRs case) . Steve

Main car : FFRR L405 Vogue SDV8
Other car : Vauxhall Lotus Carlton
Past cars : FFRR L322 Vogue TD6 SE (Sept 2006 MY07) ; LandCruiser SWB ; 4-Runner ; Supras; XJS V12 LeMans

Post #9990 27th Dec 2009 1:51am
SteveMFr
Site Sponsor

RRVSE wrote:
This is one thing I've never understood with cars. I got frozen nozzles last week for the first time since I got the car , but I hadn't got around to putting any screenwash/antifreeze in ( I prefer just to use 100% water throught summer and milder months) so it was bound to happen, but heated nozzles aren't much use if the water in the pipes between the water bottle and nozzle freezes anyway. Don't know why they don't lag the pipes (or even have a fine heater wire sealed and encased withn the pipes) and had a small heater within the water bottle aswell (or have it near the FBH in the FFRRs case) .

Because generally there is enough alcohol in the ww fluid to keep it from freezing. Having a completely heated ww-system would be of next to no use:
- as far as washing goes, when the water sprays out onto the supper cold windshield at 60mph, it turns to ice instantly w/o anything in it to keep it from freezing - thus effectively negating any washing
- you'd have to either heat the system 24/7, or add expansion chambers in the entire system to keep the ice from bursting various bits and pieces and even then, you could only begin to wash after everything thawed.

Not putting ww-fluid with anti-freeze in the car is a not a very good idea everywhere except for where it really never freezes. As you said, forgetting to add anti-freeze is bound to happen, and if it gets a little colder and you're unlucky, you can replace 3 washer pumps, jets, t-pieces, etc. - all at fun LR prices. 
RRC 2Dr, RRC 4Dr,
P38, and 2 L322s
(wife thinks I'm nuts - prob right, too)

Post #10002 27th Dec 2009 3:19pm
dantheman

United Kingdom 

It is a poor idea to run on water alone as windscreen washer fluid contains added detergents which assist in removing road grime/dirt and dead insects etc from your windscreen. Also supposed to reduce wiper smear.

Post #10008 27th Dec 2009 7:06pm
RRVSE

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SDV8 Corris Grey

I've unfortunately never been keen on too much anti-freeze since that episode a decade and a half ago when a certain companies version was stripping paint off cars roofs. Hence, I usually would only use a weak mix in colder months and it's always been adequate. You may be right about additives helping to clear insects etc though. Steve

Main car : FFRR L405 Vogue SDV8
Other car : Vauxhall Lotus Carlton
Past cars : FFRR L322 Vogue TD6 SE (Sept 2006 MY07) ; LandCruiser SWB ; 4-Runner ; Supras; XJS V12 LeMans

Post #10055 29th Dec 2009 2:35am
RRUK
Site Supporter

Minus 5 degrees this morning all the way to the office and no washers working!

I can only assume that the washer fluid reservoir didn't have enough WW fluid in it to prevent the pipes from freezing too.

ITGuy,

After replacing your 2 jets did it make any difference?

I plan to have a very strong solution of WW fluid next week when I drive to the Alps. Discovery 4 HSE
1982 Series 3 Hard Top

Post #10428 4th Jan 2010 12:57pm
dan_uk_1984

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Tonga Green

I can highly recommend Autoglym All Season Screenwash. I stick half a bottle in and then fill with water when it's empty.

For the Alps I'd probably stock the whole bottle in etc.

In the summer I only use Sonax Clear View though, mmm lemony fresh! 

Post #10432 4th Jan 2010 1:28pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>