Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Off Topic > 6HP26 (on 2.7) gear ratios and Jag vs LR ECUs?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
dieselnutjob

United Kingdom 
6HP26 (on 2.7) gear ratios and Jag vs LR ECUs?

Hi
Can anyone tell me:-
A: whether all 6HP26 across all Jaguar & Landrover products will have the same gear ratios (just the gearbox itself, ignoring final drive etc)?
B: whether a Jag 2.7 engine ECU would happily control a Landrover transmission, or vice versa?
I'm aware that the casings are different because LR has a transfer case whereas Jag just has a prop shaft, but I don't see why the computer would care about that.
thanks, Philip

Post #691958 5th May 2024 1:13pm
dhallworth

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Baltic Blue

The ECU would need to be coded to your vehicle or it won't come out of park.

If you're swapping your gearbox, drop the sump and valve body, then change the ECU for the original one from your car if you don't have the ability to code it.

David. 2002 4.6 Vogue SE - Alveston Red with Lightstone Leather
2007 Range Rover Supercharged in Java Black with Ivory Leather
2012 Range Rover 5.0 SC Autobiography in Indus Silver with Jet/Ivory Interior
2012 Range Rover 4.4 TDV8 Autobiography in Baltic Blue with Sand Interior

Post #691976 5th May 2024 6:20pm
dieselnutjob

United Kingdom 

I should have been more honest about why I'm asking Wink

I am contemplating doing a 2.7 engine swap into a 1970s Peugeot that I'm looking at, and, I would want it to be an auto due to my dodgy knee. The Peugeot is cheap because it's missing it's engine and interior.

I have a history in electronics and diagnostics (I'm currently grafting a Jatco automatic gearbox into a 1.8 Freelander, and I'm the developer at pscan diagnostics, and I'm pretty good at welding and mechanics too.

I'm thinking of getting a crashed, or scrappage scheme S-Type (or X350 XJ) and stealing everything I need to drop it into the Peugeot. The ECU would have to be reprogrammed to ignore things like ABS and immo. I have already checked the Peugeot engine bay and it's 10cm wider that my XJ.

But, Peugeots of this era have a torque tube rather than a normal prop shaft. This is a solid tube bolted to the back of the gearbox at one end and to the diff at the other. There is a solid shaft inside with splines at each end. It's not easy to interface this to a "normal" gearbox from another make. However, I realised that a Landrover gearbox has a flat face on the rear that bolts to the transfer case.

I think that I could make a simple metal cube to convert from the flat face of the LR gearbox to the front face of the torque tube, and, weld the input splines from a transfer box to the Peugeot shaft and it would work quite well.

But that would mean using an LR 6HP26 with an S-Type engine ECU.

So there is no "original car".

I'm not sure if the mechatronic is coded to the engine ECU. Maybe an S-Type mechatronic could fit an LR 6HP26?

Anyway, I'm sure it would only work if the ratios are the same.

Post #691981 5th May 2024 7:50pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1