Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Suspension or brake calliper problem? Advice pease
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Mikeyjd

Wales 2003 Range Rover SE Td6 Zambezi Silver
Suspension or brake calliper problem? Advice pease

Hi, I have what I originally thought was a suspension problem but I was wondering if it could be rear calliper problem.

A couple of weeks ago I noticed a creaking noise coming from the rear offside of my 2003 TD6 especially when being driven slowly on uneven surfaces. My initial thought was it was suspension related. I took it to my friendly local garage (used them for years). They diagnosed a rear tie rod and this was duly replaced. Unfortunately the nose is still there. It seems to get worse when the car has driven a few miles. It is going back in tomorrow and they say they suspect the rear bushes but will have a proper look underneath and check everything out.

Hopefully the problem will be found quickly. However I am now beginning to wonder if it could be brake related. The noise can be a squeak or a creak and sometimes a slight short rubbing noise. It can only really be heard when driving with the window open at quite slow speed. I have read quite a few posts about rear brakes binding so I had a look underneath and can't see anything obvious, but I did notice that the opposite rear calliper appears to be different from all the other 3 callipers. So I am guessing that was replaced at some time in the past, so maybe that one had a problem in the past. (three callipers are painted yellow but the rear near side is a bronze colour).

Is it worth mentioning it to the garage or just let them get on with their own checks? Btw it is a garage that I have used for years and I trust them (they haven't charged for the tie rod job which didn't solve anything). They don't work on that many FFs but I don't want to appear to insult their intelligence by pointing out things. No longer FF owner but still interested. Present car Jaguar XE

Previous car Td6 SE

Previous LR- Disco 300TDi Auto

Post #104584 31st Jan 2012 4:30pm
47p2

Scotland 

Most likely be the rear rose bushes and/or bottom bushes

Post #104593 31st Jan 2012 4:53pm
Mikeyjd

Yep, they say they suspect the bushes, but just wondered if the brakes could be confusing the issue. Anyway hopefully find out tomorrow. No longer FF owner but still interested. Present car Jaguar XE

Previous car Td6 SE

Post #104618 31st Jan 2012 5:29pm
Reformed

England 

Mine did the same as yours and slowly got worse. I started spraying the various bushes with silicon spray until I found what I thought was the cause, which was an upper bush, but when I finally took it in to my indie it turned out to be the lower bush, the spray was dripping down! Had bushes done and no more noise. Mine got so loud that people on pavements would look! Reformed

Post #104623 31st Jan 2012 5:37pm
Mikeyjd

Yeah, mine can be quite loud. When driving slowly through town it squeaks and creaks like an old honeymoon bed. I turn my music up a bit and pretend I can't hear it Laughing No longer FF owner but still interested. Present car Jaguar XE

Previous car Td6 SE

Post #104625 31st Jan 2012 5:41pm
Contraband

Scotland 

I had a similar noise.. It turned out to be the rear pads sticking in the calipers. Took them out, covered the backs and sides with copper grease and the noise has gone forever. Previously..
Vogue SE TD6
Defender 90 2.4
Defender 110 TD5
Vogue 3.5 EFI

Post #104627 31st Jan 2012 5:51pm
Mikeyjd

Now that's the sort of reply that has caused me to wonder as to the cause. Laughing No longer FF owner but still interested. Present car Jaguar XE

Previous car Td6 SE

Post #104708 31st Jan 2012 10:40pm
Mikeyjd

Would you believe it! Car was totally silent wen I drove it to the garage this morning. They had it in for the morning and when I popped in at lunchtime they said they suspected it was the top bush but it wasn't making any noises and they didnt want to do a job and charge me for something that may not solve the problem. They suggest I drive it til the nose becomes more prominant and take it back. I guess that makes sense as I could end up paying money for nothing. It is just a tad embarrassing when it gets noisy, so I best keep some loud music in my car. Lol No longer FF owner but still interested. Present car Jaguar XE

Previous car Td6 SE

Post #104907 1st Feb 2012 11:26pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

when it is making that noise ,try and do a little video on your phone and show them... ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #104917 2nd Feb 2012 9:18am
fisha

2015 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aruba

The squeak / creaks are likely to be the bushes as already mentioned.

The light brushing sound is likely to be the dust shield brushing against the disc. Its quite close to the disc and it people have been playing about that area, it doesn't take much to get it to brush against the disc. You hear it making a scuffing sound at low speed.

Simple solution is to pull the shield away from the disc. Another similar cause can be a bit of flaked off rust / metal getting caught inbetween causing the scuffing sound. Depending on your alloys, you should be able to reach through and push it away from you. Give it a good press to the point you think you're bending it away and it should be fine. It doesn't nee to move much to stop the scuffing.

I had the scuffing sound on the right left brake. It was especially noticeable going round right hand bends at slow speed. Pushing the brake shield away has solved the issue for me. V8 or else ...

Post #104924 2nd Feb 2012 9:55am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1