Home > Technical (L322) > Water Loss near middle of RR - Advise please
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
RR8701

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Java Black
Water Loss near middle of RR - Advise please

Hi Guys,

I have been monitoring my coolant levels for the last month now after I got the dreaded bong for low coolant. I have been reading all of the past posts and checking the expansion tank, the cap, the radiator and any sign at all in the engine bay area for a leak and there is nothing at all.

I then checked the oil filler cap for tell tales of HG issue, mayo etc and its all clean as a whistle, I dont have any issues (touchwood) of over heating etc, have done 60 mile journeys. 2 weeks ago doing 400 mile journey twice down south.

well today I thought I would look properly, bonnet up, torch out, cup of tea, engine running, getting it up to middle needle temp. nothing in engine bay, looked around car as it was a dry day this morning, only raining last night and i found this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Svf5HWQShtg&feature=youtu.be

Now I have read up on the full coolant system and I dont see how this area links into the whole. I dont know if there is a water drain here and it doesnt mean anything and I am linking the two pointlessly.

I also got around 6 drops in my hand and there is no colour at all in it that i can see and doesnt smell like coolant, just pure water. I am going to go out later and smell the expansion tank to see if there is a strong smell of coolant however its certainly blue, i checked.

any advise would be very apprieciated.

Thank you
Sad

Post #99411 26th Dec 2011 12:02pm
RR8701

LOL finally got the balls to get underneath and have a proper look to see if I could find the source of the water:

its this wee devil, question is what the hell is it ?

Click image to enlarge

I was quite scared going under the RR (first time being scared under any car) I just dont trust it, I thought I senor will end up becoming faulty and then going to bump stops lol :rolllaugh:

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Last edited by RR8701 on 26th Dec 2011 12:14pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #99412 26th Dec 2011 12:13pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

re water droplets, could be the vibration of the engine causing a capillary action from water else where [rainwater] or maybe a/c water.. ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #99413 26th Dec 2011 12:13pm
RR8701

Hi Scarey,

you not at the Boxing Day sales ? what do you think of the pipe I found ?

Post #99414 26th Dec 2011 12:21pm
daveo

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 V8 Java Black

that looks like the air con drain, was the air con on as if it was then thats normal, have you checked your header tank as they are know for getting pin holes in them and leaking. V8 facelift Range Rover Autobiography 22" wheels.
1976 Harley Davidson Iron Head Sportster

Post #99415 26th Dec 2011 12:28pm
RR8701

Hi Daveo,

M Xmas, hope you had a good one, Yup aircon was on, the header tank I have been watch like a hawk and cannot see a leak for the like of me, however I am wondering if it is a pinhole how easy or possible it is to spot.

I checked round my radiator near the top and middlle, down the sides etc and just seems dry, no tell tale sign that something might be leaking etc or evaporating

Post #99416 26th Dec 2011 12:32pm
stan
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

what dave says re pipe...i'd switch the a/c off and check again.

no money for sales . Sad ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

Post #99418 26th Dec 2011 12:39pm
daveo

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 V8 Java Black

how much water do you lose, i had a pin hole in the header and only found out after wrapping it with paper towel,check your tank cap as well, V8 facelift Range Rover Autobiography 22" wheels.
1976 Harley Davidson Iron Head Sportster

Post #99419 26th Dec 2011 12:45pm
stan
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

dave's just reminded me of the problem a member had where he had the wrong pressure rated cap fitted , worth a look.. ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

Post #99420 26th Dec 2011 12:47pm
Rob2529

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Oslo Blue

That's you aircon dripping. Something to do with removing the moisture from inside the cab. The big issues with leaks in coolant system are: header tank, rad (bottom left looking from the front), hoses. I've had a coolant loss for ages down to my LPG hoses weeping. On the back of the engine is a coolant manifold linking both banks. There's a small hose (2inch) that is a known leaker. You could also have leaks on the valley pan. I had that with mine. I've done a write up on it.

Also the rad leak is hard to find at first as the leak in normally small at first and evaporates due to the fan. Only as it grows does it start to pool under the car. A good test is to run the car up to temp. Close up like normal and leave overnight. Open the expansion tank in the morning before starting the engine, if you get a hiss you systems holding pressure so your leak is very small if at all. If no hiss it's just another confirmation.

RR8 one min your complaining about to much water in the car, the next your complaining of to little! Are you ever satisfied? Rolling with laughter [img]http://www.fuelly.com/driver/rob2529/range-rover[img/]
04, 4.4V8, Vogue Oslo Blue with LPG.
"You can sleep in your car, BUT you can't race your house!!!!"

If something can't be fixed with a hammer....... You have yourself an electrical fault!

Post #99421 26th Dec 2011 1:12pm
RR8701

Hi Rob,

LOL you got me there, however I have thought of a new design idea that I can submit to RR HQ, develop a pipe system to go from the boot into the coolant system if its ever needed, I always have a ready supply in the boot Rolling with laughter

you guys are right it was the aircon, it stopped after a while, started the car a few times and left on for 20 minutes or so and no water now from that area.

Dont get me wrong I dont beleive I am losing masses of water well maybe I am but when I got the low coolant bong I had to top up exactly 0.75 litres so I am waiting for the next bong to fill up again and see how much it takes and over how many miles.

you mentioned the hose at the back that is a known leaker, do you have a pic of this, is it possible to access it just from the engine bay without removing anyhting ?

as for the valley pan, I will look into this last, i dont have much knoweldge of it however I am sure i seen your right up where you stripped it all out and it was also showing oil on the left hand side ? etc

thanks again for your help guys

Post #99422 26th Dec 2011 1:35pm
CG-SC

2006 Range Rover Autobiography Supercharged Zambezi Silver

Yip - thats normal, just the aircon evaporator drain.

I also have a coolant loss just like you, but I have investigated and know whats wrong now - its the radiator.

There was a Technical Service Bulletin released for this - particularly for 06MY cars.

The only way I found it was by looking at the back of the rad with a torch and i can see the red staining around the fins on the lower RHS of the rad (RHS of rad when looking forward from the engine bay.

I have no water drops on the ground, but the rad is defo leaking. I have priced a new one - Dan quoted me £180 plus VAT for a new one which TBH isn't that bad.

Looks quite an involved job on the Supercharged though.........I am considering putting a new air con condensor on at the same time as they are only £100 + VAT as the rad has to come out to change that in any case......... Stolen / Gone: 2006MY Supercharged LPG Autobiography - Zambezi Silver with Sand/Jet/Jet Oxford Leather.....

Post #99423 26th Dec 2011 2:08pm
RR8701

CG, anyone would think we were copying each others faults Rolling with laughter

I suspect its the radiator too, just want to see some evidance of it Evil or Very Mad Think i will let it break a bit more, its bound to get worse and worse so I will keep an eye on it.

Thumbs Up

Post #99425 26th Dec 2011 2:15pm
CG-SC

2006 Range Rover Autobiography Supercharged Zambezi Silver

I was just thinking that LOL......same water issues haha.....

Well, my money is on your rad, go have a look with a torch, you'll soon see if there is any evidence of leakage or not !!

Just going to crack another BEER Razz Stolen / Gone: 2006MY Supercharged LPG Autobiography - Zambezi Silver with Sand/Jet/Jet Oxford Leather.....

Post #99426 26th Dec 2011 2:18pm
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Two points,

One, does your car not need red antifreeze? I know in some Land Rovers if you put in blue it eats the headgasket...

Second, we change lots of header tanks because the bonger goes defective! The whole header tank for a TD6 costs around a tenner more than the sensor on its own!

Might be worth checking the two out...

Craig Thumbs Up

Post #99427 26th Dec 2011 2:26pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>