Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Wheel & tyre choice.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Soupdragon

England 2003 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 V8 Stornoway Grey
Wheel & tyre choice.

First post here so greetings............

My RR has 19" wheels and 55 profile tyres and is used as a shooting vehicle during the season. I want to keep these for Winter use but like the idea of a set of Stormers for the Summer. I've read though on here that RR have some sort of vibration issue with 20" wheels and so advice would be appreciated. Also the tyre size suggested to go with the Stormers is 275/45-20. Does this sound correct or will it Censored the gearing up and confuse all the electrics?

Thanks for any help. Rules are made for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men.

Post #582 25th May 2008 12:02am
Soupdragon

What an interesting and informative forum, thanks for the advice....................Toodle pip! Rules are made for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men.

Post #592 4th Jun 2008 10:17pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

Hey, sorry, there's not many of us here, if you are still about I can offer this advice.

you shouldn't have any issues with vibration with the 4.4, it was only the diesel TD6 variants that were engineered for 18" wheels that suffered with larger rims.

The Stormers are nice wheels but be aware, those 20" rims seem to attract any stone or kerb. I had 20's on my Sport Supercharged and they were wrecked very easily, so much so I went thru 2 sets of them.

My car is also used as a shooting brake and now I have the 18" wheels on my TD6 I can now drive about with no fear of ruining them!

It's a lot of money to spend, if I was doing it I'd either go for the genuine factory 20" design or, the 20" Supercharged rims, which are slightly different in profile to the ones from ther Sport range and somehow are slightly more protected due to the profile of the tyre size. People are sticking ther Stormer wheels on everything, they quickly became very unspecial in my opinion, plus I personally don't think they look right on the FFRR.

Good luck, please come back! Discovery 4 HSE
1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF
1982 Series 3 Hard Top

*Gone:L462 D5 HSE LUX, L663 Defender 110 HSE, Discovery 3 HSE, 2014MY Range Rover Sport 5.0 Supercharged AB Dynamic; L405 Exec Vogue SE 4.4, 5.0 Supercharged Autobiography, Defender TDCi XS CSW, Defender TD5 HT, Vogue SE TDV8, Vogue TD6, RRSport SC 4.2V8, Classic 3.9 Vogue Auto, Land Rover Series 3 SWB

Post #597 6th Jun 2008 4:04pm
Soupdragon

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate the advice........My plans have been modified slightly since I posted; I've found a set of genuine Supercharger wheels with 255/50-20 tyres that I'm told won't upset the gearing, I think they look good and reasonably understated. This is my second L322, the first was a diesel and hopelessly under-powered but I think my current 4.4 a good car, so much better then the P38. I had one of those but sold it and bought a TD5 Discovery instead which was better in almost every respect - in my opinion anyway.

I also have a 1958 SWB Land Rover, owned it for nearly 20 years and it's like an old Labrador; doesn't do anything too exciting but is faithful and always there when one needs it! It's got an old Capri 3100 engine with RR diffs and a modified Fairey overdrive......I took it along a runway still accelerating at 105mph (measured on a sat-nav)! The noise was deafening and it was bloody terrifying! The best thing, for me anyway, is that externally it looks absolutely standard and will still be going strong long after my current RR has fallen off the perch!

Thanks again. Rules are made for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men.

Post #599 6th Jun 2008 11:38pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1